How many wins this year?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

What will the Vikings regular season record be?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:56 pm

6-10
10%
7-9
2%
8-8
17%
9-7
17%
10-6
29%
11-5
15%
12-4 or better
10%

Total votes: 41

John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Re: How many wins this year?

Post by John_Viveiros »

I voted conservatively - 9-7. You know some time that the breaks will go against us, and they'll lose three in a row or so. But I think they can go 5-6 for the rest of the season. Maybe 6-5.

Then again, the last three games show me the look of a 12-4 team. Beat a strong playoff team at home. Beat a weak playoff team on the road. Destroy a weak team at home. I'm not just looking at being 3-0 in that set. It's the way they won those three. They look like they are playing at a very consistent high level.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I would also point out that the team that beat the Vikings also beat the Packers. The Colts might end up being a decent team this year.

I'm excited about this team. Every game on the schedule is winnable from what I've seen. Not that they'll go 15-1 ... But this is actually a good team. Inexperience is their wort enemy.
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

Ah crap. I read the poll wrong...too much coffee, too many alcoholic beverages at the sports bar.

I thought it meant 6-10 wins. Not a win loss record. :oops:

I'd say 10-6 feels like a pretty safe bet.
Last edited by Rus on Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Rus
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

For us extremely cautious fans, why isn't there an option for 4-12? :mrgreen:
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Rus wrote:Ah crap. I read the poll wrong...too much coffee, too many alcoholic beverages at the sports bar.

I thought it meant 6-10 wins. Not a win loss record. :oops:

I'd say 10-6 feels like a pretty safe bet.

I almost did the same thing - The thread title is "How many wins" but the poll is W/L record :lol:
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
radar55
All Pro Elite Player

Post by radar55 »

Prior to the start of the year, the general opinion on this site seemed to be that while we would not be a playoff contender this year, our hope was that we would see significant improvement over last years debacle (3-13).

I think its safe after what we have seen thru 5 weeks to say thats no longer an issue. Their play has certainly exceeded my expectations and I believe the expectations of most of us. The future certainly looks bright but, I still think we should keep those expectations realistic when you consider who we have played to get to 4-1.

I hope for better but I think 8-8 is still a realistic possibility and when you think about it.......coming off a 3-13 season thats pretty impressive.
Infinity
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Infinity »

I say 9-7. Our team is doing great thus far and if we continue this we should go 9-7. Just remember, the second half of our schedule looks nothing like the first. Hopefully at the end of the season we can get a wild card spot. Just imagine, the vikes come of a horrific 3-13 season and actually make it to the postseason. What a story that would be
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Cliff wrote:I would also point out that the team that beat the Vikings also beat the Packers. The Colts might end up being a decent team this year.

I'm excited about this team. Every game on the schedule is winnable from what I've seen. Not that they'll go 15-1 ... But this is actually a good team. Inexperience is their wort enemy.
They seem to have a great mix of veterans and young talent. The youngsters, though, have been the driving force and the real personality of this team. Kudos to Spielman and Frazier. It's just a shame they didn't start clearing house a year earlier.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I voted 10 wins which I think is very possible.

This team is dangerous right now and could go 7-1 in the first half.

right now I think we could beat GB, maybe even sweep them. They seem distracted
and unfocused.

I think we have a real shot at making the playoffs .. I really thought six wins at the
start of the season.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Infinity wrote:I say 9-7. Our team is doing great thus far and if we continue this we should go 9-7. Just remember, the second half of our schedule looks nothing like the first. Hopefully at the end of the season we can get a wild card spot. Just imagine, the vikes come of a horrific 3-13 season and actually make it to the postseason. What a story that would be
So you are thinking that the Vikes will only win 5 of the next 11 games :?: That seems like a pretty conservative number. I would say that they will win at least 7or 8 of their last eleven games. :thumbsup:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Arma
Starter

Post by Arma »

10-6 sounds good to me. But I can easily see it lower or higher, so I'll just stick to the middle.
Whenever i step outside, somebody claims to see the light
It seems to me that all of us have lost our patience.
'cause everyone thinks they're right,
And nobody thinks that there just might
Be more than one road to our final destination--
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

Let me do a likely yet best-case-scenario that actually bodes really well for Vikings chances to get into the Super Bowl and win.

@ Was. We win this by a TD regardless of QB
ARI Loss
TB Blowout win, second of season
Sea Win
DET Win, 10+ point drubbing
@ Chi Loss by about 10
@ gb Take our Bears loss out against our hated rival
CHI Get our win back in a close game at home
@ stl Win
@ hou Houston clinches number 1. They don't need it. It is everything for us. Win
GB Win, spectacular home win against our hated rivals. Possibly the game that means the Packers go sub .500

Flip the script on last year's schedule: 13-3.
We finish the season 5-1 in division when we hadn't even won a single division game since 2010. We kick off a 5 game win streak going into the playoffs and psychologically know what it takes and what it feels like to beat the Bears and Texans.

The cherry on top is that the Packers could pretty easily go 5-6 or worse in their last 11 games (Houston next week, Chicago again, Vikings and Lions twice, Giants, Cardinals, Rams) finish sub .500 and get swept by the Vikings.

:rock: :smilevike: :v): :rofl:
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

You have got to love this :!:

http://oi50.tinypic.com/wbujkm.jpg
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Infinity
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Infinity »

Purple bruise wrote: So you are thinking that the Vikes will only win 5 of the next 11 games :?: That seems like a pretty conservative number. I would say that they will win at least 7or 8 of their last eleven games. :thumbsup:
Your right, those are winnable games, but I think a couple of the teams can pull off a colts-like win against us. Just remember though, the 2nd half of our schedule is much harder than the first
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

On September 5th I posted
akvikingsfan [url]http://vikingsmessageboard.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24711[/url] wrote: One day before the start of the season and I'll throw my prediction in here. I believe we will win between 6 and 10 games. It all depends on the offensive play. I believe our defense is good enough to keep us close (no blow outs) but I'm not sure if our offense can put up the points needed to win the games. If Peterson comes back strong and Ponder grows as a QB I could see us winning closer to 10 games. But if Peterson has lost a step and Ponder doesn't develop it can be another long season for us fans. My prediction is that we will be 9-7 with an outside chance of making the playoffs (as a wild card) late in the season, but we lose too many games down the stretch and miss the wildcard by 1 game.

Going back further, on May 3rd I stated
akvikingsfan [url]http://vikingsmessageboard.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24529[/url] wrote:Looking at the schedule I'd like to make a fools prediction. My heart tells me we could shock everyone and win 10 games or so starting 9-0. And then win one more game against the Rams. However, considering the state of the organization and the fact that we are rebuilding, I realistically see us winning 6 games. WIth these wins coming against the Jags, Colts, Titans, Redskins, Seahawks, and Rams. This will be another difficult season to watch with the team blowing games they had every opportunity to win. I look forward to my head being wrong and for us to have a winning season, but I just don't see it as possible just yet.

Now today, reading what I had previously stated, I must amend both picks. Clearly, we are not going to start off 9-0. We have already lost one game. However, by the time we get to our bye week I believe we will be sitting at 8-1 or 7-2. What I disagree with is the total wins that I predicted. I had said in one post that we would win between 6 and 10 most likely wining 9. In the other post I stated that we would go 10-6 winning only 1 game after the bye. After the first 5 games of the season and seeing how "complete" our team looks I'm going to say that we go 11-5 making the playoffs and resting key players in the last game of the season either because we have no chance of moving up to a higher seed as a division winner or we have already clinched a wildcard and have no chance of winning the division.

@ Was - W
ARI -W
TB (thu night) - L (we always seem to lose during prime time games)
@ Sea - W (I'll be at this game and we have not lost a regular season game that I have attended)
DET - W
bye (8-2)
@ Chi - W (with the bye week to prep I think we win this game)
@ gb - L
CHI - W
@ stl - W
@ hou - L
GB - L
Final - 11-5