The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is An Absolute Joke

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is An Absolute Joke

Post by Hunter Morrow »

They FINALLY nominated Rush and Deep Purple about 25 years too late. You think Cris Carter has it bad? Rush has had 14 platinum records and has been beaten out by Blondie and the Lovin' Spoonful and their nominee class includes...

Randy Newman. You can't be serious here.

Albert King. Eh, I guess, whatever

The Marvellettes. WHO?!?! WHO?!?!

Chic. WHO?!

Donna Summer. Come on now. Cut the crap. Put a legit Black hard rock act in already. How about Thin Lizzy? Never a single nomination or vote for Thin Lizzy?!
I'll lose my mind if Donna Summer gets in before Thin Lizzy.

Kraftwerk. Eh, fine, whatever.

Joan Jett and Heart. Yeah, why not?

NWA and Public Enemy. What? I can hear the conversation right now...

"Well, Public Enemy did sample Slayer and do that song with Anthrax."
"Why don't we just put Slayer and Anthrax in and let Public Enemy be in a Rap Hall of Fame? Would you think Anthrax should be in the Rap Hall of Fame because they did I'm The Man?"
"Shut up! You're making too much sense!"

Hunter Morrow's REAL ROCK N ROLL HALL OF FAME OF 2012. We make this the year of 77, 82 and 87 bands. Classic metal, thrash and punk.
It is going to be like a 13 guy thing to admit how badly they've been effing up for the past 26 years

Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Motorhead
We finally induct Anthrax, Megadeth and Slayer and have them appear with Metallica. This is the big draw of the year. THE BIG 4 of American Thrash get inducted.
Napalm Death. A legit extreme metal band gets in. All like 79 people who have ever played in Napalm Death can show up.
Discharge

Then we let Deep Purple and Rush FINALLY get in and acknowledge how much #### Jethro Tull has been kicking for 40 years.

I might have gone overboard, but Iron Priest, Maiden, Motorhead and Big 4 should get in.
S197
Fenrir

Re: The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is An Absolute Joke

Post by S197 »

Totally agree, an absolute joke. Look how long it took for Black Sabbath to get inducted. Agree with you on Motorhead, Deep Purple, Judas Priest and Rush although I think Albert King getting in is more than an "eh" as he influenced a ton of guitarists, some already inducted. Which reminds me, how the $*(@#& is Stevie Ray Vaughan not in yet?
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

Yeah, I see the point. There are quite a few people in the hall who are King-influenced, like Jeff Beck. He beats the hell outta Procol Harum and Chic. Ugh. What are these people thinking?

Next year should be hard rock and bluesy stuff

Thin Lizzy
KISS
Deep Purple
Blue Oyster Cult
SRV along with his backing band Double Trouble
Dire Straits

You can just tell how bad this system is because every year the conversation happens and somebody names a total First Year Of Eligibility band or musician like SRV or Motorhead and everybody is just like...

"Yeah, thats pretty funny, Hunter. Slayer and Iron Maiden aren't in the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame but Lovin' Spoonful and Little Anthony and the Imperials are. Good one."

Shows Wikipedia Inductee Page
"HOLY !@#$ YOU WERE SERIOUS!"
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Hunter Morrow wrote:Yeah, I see the point. There are quite a few people in the hall who are King-influenced, like Jeff Beck. He beats the hell outta Procol Harum and Chic. Ugh. What are these people thinking?

Next year should be hard rock and bluesy stuff

Thin Lizzy
KISS
Deep Purple
Blue Oyster Cult
SRV along with his backing band Double Trouble
Dire Straits

You can just tell how bad this system is because every year the conversation happens and somebody names a total First Year Of Eligibility band or musician like SRV or Motorhead and everybody is just like...

"Yeah, thats pretty funny, Hunter. Slayer and Iron Maiden aren't in the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame but Lovin' Spoonful and Little Anthony and the Imperials are. Good one."
I don't know why you keep bringing up Lovin' Spoonful. Like them or not, I'd say they earned their spot.

Frankly, if bands like Slayer and Iron Maiden were to get in, that would reinforce that it's a joke to me, rather being a move for the better (sorry, I think both bands are pretty awful but we all have different tastes)

I agree that Blue Oyster Cult and Dire Straits should get serious consideration though. :)
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

Did you see some of the people who got nominated this year?

Randy Newman, Donna Summer, etc. How is Maiden a joke? 60 million sold records and packed arenas for the past 40 years doesn't get you there?

I don't like Buddy Holly and the Crickets but I wouldn't NOT put them in. I prefer Slayer.

They've got almost no punk bands or punk musicians

I'd give the following serious consideration...
Henry Rollins/Black Flag
Sonic Youth
Dead Kennedys
Discharge
The Misfits
Suicidal Tendencies

Edit: We all know the rapper who belongs in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. My brother from another mother, Tracy Marrow.
Ice T incorporated rock and metal into his music as much as Public Enemy and NWA and actually was in a good crossover band called Body Count. Cop Killer's a better song than what 90 percent of punk bands have ever put out.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Hunter Morrow wrote:Did you see some of the people who got nominated this year?

Randy Newman, Donna Summer, etc. How is Maiden a joke? 60 million sold records and packed arenas for the past 40 years doesn't get you there?
No, because I don't think sales should be the determining factor on whether someone gets into the HOF or not.
They've got almost no punk bands or punk musicians
One of the reasons for that is that most of them have been eligible for less than a decade. Artists become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record. Most punk albums were released in 1977 or later. That means the bands that recorded those early punk (and new wave) albums didn't become eligible for inclusion until 2002. The Ramones and Talking Heads were both deservedly inducted that year. Elvis Costello and The Clash both went in the following year. Since then, the Sex Pistols and Blondie have been added. I'd like to see a few more (like the Buzzcocks) added but honestly, I don't know how many pure punk bands really belong.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Mothman wrote:No, because I don't think sales should be the determining factor on whether someone gets into the HOF or not.

I don't think non-musicians should be making the determinations.
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

Sales isn't THE determining factor. I was just saying most people really underestimate how many times a rock or a metal band goes gold or platinum. They seriously underestimate the longevity and touring popularity of rock and metal acts as well and discount all their accomplishments just because they are frankly pig ignorant as to what those accomplishments would be. They think the only people who listen to these acts are teenaged vinyl thieves and illegal downloaders and then you tell somebody...

"Anthrax has sold more than 15 million records. The rhythm guitarist has 50 million dollars."

"Gah, nobody listens to Rush anymore!"
"Rush has gone gold or platinum 22 times. There isn't a stadium in the world that they haven't packed."

"Deep Purple, all they did was Smoke on the Water."
"Yep, all they've done is Smoke on the Water...and a 30 year career with over 100 million records sold and 1 billion pounds over the counter retail sales alone."
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

This is a separate point but "extreme" metal stuff started coming out around 86-88ish. The committee could induct bands like Napalm Death and the Melvins this year.

Boy, wouldn't that have been something? Watching these guys try to get through a Suffocation or Napalm Death set.

"Yeah, sorry fellas. Gladys Knight and the Pips Were booked. We got Napalm Death"

BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

The problem with the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is that it is scattershot in its induction standards. Genesis, but not Yes? Metallica? I love Metallica, but do they really deserve HoF status? The Velvet Underground is in, but no Lou Reed? John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, a breeding ground for blues guitar greatness, is nowhere to be seen? And I wholeheartedly agree that Stevie Ray Vaughan should have been a first ballot HoF in 2008. A HoF without him is ridiculous.

There are a wealth of seminal bands/songwriters that will probably never get in but should. Just off the top of my head: John Doe, Alex Chilton, Captain Beefheart, King Crimson, The Buzzcocks, Paul Westerberg, and Mike Watt.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

King Crimson stands zero chance because the hall considers them "proto-x" and prog rock. Should have first balloted, but whatever. The Hall had to wait for Zappa to drop dead before they put him in. Even then they let the corpse marinate for two years. Rolling Stone and the Hall big-wigs have dismissed Zappa as a novelty act (ZAPPA!) so Captain Beefheart will never get in.

Metallica is in. Great thrash and rock band, put American heavy metal on the map and they've been the biggest rock act in the world forever.

Buzzcocks won't get in because punk isn't "really rock."

Big arena bands and hair metal isn't in, either. I'm not saying ALL OF THESE GUYS but not every single one should be on the outside looking in.

Bon Jovi
Boston
Cheap Trick
Foreigner
Steve Miller Band
KISS
Def Leppard
Bad Company
Motley Crue
Journey

Just for starters. Any band like that is shot down.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Valhalla wrote:Read this article some time ago, quite a few articles on the web from people disappointed in the HOF

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... -the-rock/
Thanks for the link. That guy sounds more than disappointed. He sounds angry!
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

While the hall has been making a display of its musical ecumenism by extending its reach to embrace ever more remote cousins of rock, it has simultaneously revealed an equally strong prejudice against the mainstream rock of the American heartland, pejoratively dubbed “arena rock” because its representative acts fill sports arenas rather than the pages of Rolling Stone and Spin.

The hall’s selective “open-mindedness” explains how ABBA, Neil Diamond, Madonna and Steely Dan can be rock hall members. But that big tent gets tiny when it comes to music that mainstream America loves — especially music that appeals to straight, white, working-class men. Journey isn’t in the hall. Neither is Jethro Tull, Boston, Bon Jovi, the Cars, ELO, the Steve Miller Band or Stevie Ray Vaughn. Nor is Kansas. Or Styx. Or Ted Nugent. Get the picture?

In their stead, the bookish, urbanite hall voters have filled the place with bookish, urbanite musicians. Especially weepy singer-songwriters. Leonard Cohen and Jackson Browne, for example, are members. As is James Taylor, enshrined back in 2000. The Hall of Fame nominating committee could be a Rolling Stone staff party.

Read more: Rock hall of fame snubs red-state favorites - Washington Times http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... z292yCg9A7
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter
indianation65
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by indianation65 »

Some of you must watch That Metal Show...don't get Wahi' started on the RnR Hall of Shame.

...wisdom
...spirits in the wind and the trees
vikesfan87
All Pro Elite Player

Post by vikesfan87 »

Rush is long overdue! Saw them in Toronto last week and they were great, did they do a show in the Twin Cities?