Packers Hype

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Packers Hype

Post by Mothman »

ESPN's previews for each team in the division are now available. Kevin Siefert posted links and a few bits of info here:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... -nfc-north
• All 16 ESPN.com analysts picked the Packers to win the NFC North. Of that total, 13 had the Packers winning the NFC and nine picked them to win Super Bowl XLVII, more than any other team.

• Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers got nine of 16 votes to win the MVP, more than any other player.
... and then there's this:

2012 NFL preview: Packers go 16-0?
AccuScore predicted the regular-season record of all 32 teams, and as you saw in the headline, its projection for the Green Bay Packers is as bold as possible. That's right, AccuScore has the Packers following their 15-1 regular season with a perfect 16-0 mark.

The closest games on the Packers' schedule, according to AccuScore, will be a Week 6 game at the Houston Texans (a predicted 30-29 victory) and a Week 12 game at the New York Giants (29-27 final).

For what it's worth, AccuScore has the Chicago Bears and Detroit Lions each finishing 11-5, while the Minnesota Vikings check in at 3-13.

What to make of this? Here's what I'll say: Everyone is stabbing in the dark when it comes to preseason NFL predictions, whether you're a computer like AccuScore or a television analyst or even a two-bit blogger. So enjoy it. Embrace it. Discuss it. And hold on tight for what surely will be a wild 2012 season.
AccuScore uses digital profiles of players and coaches to run 10,000 simulated seasons at a time. In 2010, AccuScore gave the Vikings a 91 percent chance of making the playoffs if Favre was their quarterback.

---------------

All I can say is the Packer hype seems a bit over-the-top to me. I know they won 15 games last season and won the Super Bowl the year before but they were also "one and done" in the playoffs last season. I doubt they'll even match last season's W/L record much less go 16-0.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Packers Hype

Post by Mothman »

I just realized that 4 of the last 5 NFC representatives in the Super Bowl finished the regular season with 10 wins or less:

2011: Giants 9-7
2010: Packers 10-6
2009: Saints 13-3
2008: Cardinals 9-7
2007: Giants 10-6

So, if Accuscore is right and GB goes 16-0, maybe they're doomed in the postseason! :)
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

The best the Packers can go is 14-2. Atfter the Vikes beat them both times! :govikes:
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Mothman wrote:ESPN's previews for each team in the division are now available. Kevin Siefert posted links and a few bits of info here:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... -nfc-north
This was my response to a thread of similar nature on a Packer board.

"Doubt it. You know how many time they have guessed the Super Bowl winner the last 4 years? Out of the 12, 4 of them picked the Packers to win the year they did.

Last year, 1 person picked the Giants to be a wild card but not win the NFC title game. 6 picked the Patriots to win it.

2009, one took the Saints as a WC, going nowhere, 2 took the Colts as a WC going nowhere.

2008, 10 of the 12 picked the Steelers to be in the playoffs, none of them picked them for the Super Bowl. 2 picked AZ to be in the playoffs.

So for the past 4 years, they have picked the winner of the Super Bowl 8.3% of the time, and that was only the 4 that picked the Packers. And they have correctly picked one of the participants 20.8% of the time. (The Packers and the Pats) Not good odds. Being picked by the ESPN crew to win the Super Bowl is almost a kiss of death. In 2 of the 4 years they didn't even get one of the teams in the Super Bowl correct."
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

You know what the Packers have? On offense they have Rodgers, Nelson and Jennings. They have picked up Benson at RB but they have an O-line that does not seem able to run block. IF any of the first 3 go down they become a one trick pony. They live by the long ball, the key to beating them is a good pass rush and making Rodgers throw before he wants to.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Yesh ... the Packers are in denial big time.

Packers' Jarrett Bush says 49ers 'really didn't beat us'
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... line_stack
"We beat ourselves. They really didn't beat us," cornerback Jarrett Bush said after the game
If any of this sounds familiar, let's replay some comments from Clay Matthews this offseason about Green Bay's playoff loss to the New York Giants.

"The fact is, (the Giants) didn't beat us; we beat ourselves," Matthews told Michael Silver of Yahoo! Sports.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Cliff wrote:Yesh ... the Packers are in denial big time.

Packers' Jarrett Bush says 49ers 'really didn't beat us'
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... line_stack
You know, I've never understood how that made a team feel better. "We didn't get beat as much as it was that we stunk so bad ANY team could have beaten us." OK - Whatever floats your boat. Beat yourself another 5-6 times this year and you can watch the playoffs on TV... 8)
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

GBFavreFan wrote: On offense they still have the best receiving corps in the NFL, which they've had since 2007. Greg Jennings is the best big play receiver in the league, Jordy Nelson is fast becoming top tier, Jermichael Finley is crazy talented, Cobb is an up and comer, plus Starks and Cedric Benson is as solid as it gets. And the o-line has been solid to very good for several years now. The defense is filled with stars, and Cobb is a lethal returner.

The secret to their offense is it's an incredibly effective system created by McCarthy. If everyone does their job its best in the NFL. As evidenced by the simple insertion of Matt Flynn for equal if not greater success. The receivers are YAC masters by design and they are always open. The system is conservative and relies on throwing to guys that are open. Their separation and YAC turns almost every play into a big one. The key to beating them is to provide a degree of coverage on their receivers. By design Rodgers rarely throws to receivers who are covered and when your offense is so loaded someone is usually open. But if a team like the Chiefs, Giants, or Niners are able to get in tne way enough Rodgers throws it in the dirt, takes a sack, or throws it out of bounds. The system is designed to not take risks or force balls (aka make plays), so this is how you beat them. The Packers will be winner as long as they have a mega-talented group.
Did any of those "defensive stars" play this past week? Because I saw what many Packer fans consider to be "game manager QB" pick them apart. These stars can't seem to stop the run and in the last few games they can't stop the pass either. Right now I like the Vikings chances against them. Take away the long ball, pressure on Rodgers and good tackling after the WR's catch the ball seems to be the way to stop the Packers. Not worried about the Packers run game. When your QB is the leading rusher and his name is not Vick you have a running problem.
Juice
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Juice »

I realize it's only one game into the season, but I wonder how much their offense will be effected with Joe Philbin gone.

Also, I thought Dom Capers was claimed to be some sort of a "defensive genius" not too long ago?
"They say no matter how hard you work, there's always someone, somewhere working harder than you. Guess what? I'm that someone." -Kevin Garnett
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

The packers have to be able to run the ball better and stop people more if they want to win another ring...

if your a one trick pony in the playoffs someone else's pony will beat yours
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

More on the Packers long ball problems.
To be clear, a reduced ability to hit big plays shouldn't be a death knell for any team, even in a passing league. For the Packers, however, it has been their team-wide identity during one of the most successful periods in team history, and it has helped cover for deficiencies in other areas of the team. In response, the Packers must find an antidote or make substantive adjustments to their approach.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... losiveness
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

This team has gone a seeming eternity without a quality back. Ahman Green was the last person who was a legit number 1. Do you really want to be terrible agains the run in a division with Peterson/Gerhardt and Forte/Bush?