only one question, can ponder lead this team?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

only one question, can ponder lead this team?

Post by mosscarter »

lets face it, anyone who thinks we are making the playoffs has delusions of grandeur. with that said, there is only one question worth asking or answering at this point, is ponder the future of this franchise or not? what does everyone think?
jackal
Strong Safety

Re: only one question, can ponder lead this team?

Post by jackal »

The guy had a 137.5 QB rating in the last preseason game...

He reminds me a lot of Steve Young .. not saying he is the next Steve Young but I think

we should give him two years to find out what he really is, based on what I have seen from

Ponder so far..
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mosscarter wrote:lets face it, anyone who thinks we are making the playoffs has delusions of grandeur. with that said, there is only one question worth asking or answering at this point, is ponder the future of this franchise or not? what does everyone think?
It's really too early to say with any certainty but I'm encouraged by what I've seen so far.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

mosscarter wrote:lets face it, anyone who thinks we are making the playoffs has delusions of grandeur. with that said, there is only one question worth asking or answering at this point, is ponder the future of this franchise or not? what does everyone think?
Ponder will be the starting QB all of this year, regardless of wins and losses.

If Leslie Frazier and his coaching staff are back next year then I also expect Ponder to be the starting QB next season. The Vikings have too many needs to draft a QB in the first two rounds next year, but they could draft a backup/project in the middle rounds, so I don't see any major changes at QB.

Beyond that, my crystal ball is cloudy.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

mosscarter wrote:lets face it, anyone who thinks we are making the playoffs has delusions of grandeur...
Maybe anyone who predicts anything about the upcoming season at this point suffers from delusions of grandeur.

I'm in "wait and see" mode right now about Ponder, AD's health, the D secondary, the LB corps, the WRs, the coaching, and pretty much everything else about the team.

As I've said in a couple other threads, I'm looking for progress from the team. If we see that, then we know the team really is rebuilding.
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

I also agree that Ponder can lead this team. I think Ponder has the brains and talent to be a very good NFL quarterback. We all know what his biggest weakness is, and it's that he's not going to take severe punishment very well. The dude is nothing like Roethlisberger where he can stand in one place and get hit repeatedly...he's not ridiculously tough like Farve was, either. His success is ALL about his OL. If they fall apart, he doesn't have a big chance.

And no, Joe Webb is not a long term option as a starting quarterback in the NFL. He's basically Kordell Stewart, but not as skilled. That said, he's a very useful backup quarterback and really shouldn't just be a benchwarmer. I only wish the guy was a holder...he'd be a fake field goal and two point conversion machine. Ah well.
-Rus
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

GBFavreFan wrote: I can understand predicting how good a team will be or won't be, but in this day and age to dismiss the playoffs for any team doesn't apply like it used to. Honestly, we've had 7-9 teams in the playoffs beat defending SB champions, and last year's Super Bowl champion was 9-7. You do not need to be a world beater to get into the playoffs, and if anything the modern era has shown us is that the team that strings together 3-4 wins in January wins the Super Bowl, not necessarily the best and most dominant team of the year.
There's certainly a lot of parity in the NFL...oftentimes, it comes down to things like having the refs on your side on that night, one or two injuries or penalties being a net positive for your team, that sort of stuff. All you need to do is win one game against a team, and you advance. If you end up playing a team that you match up well against, bam, you've got a legit shot at a Super Bowl. Good luck really matters.
-Rus
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Not predicting a playoff season for the vikes....but to suggest that one would have to be delusional to expect it is simplistic. This team was in the majority of games last season late in games. They are young and will most likely make mistakes and they'll struggle against the better teams...but they do have legitimate play makers on both sides of the ball. If they generate some turnovers early in the season and get momentum and confidence I think Ponder is capable of being a good leader. He can't win games by himself...but he can lose them if he tries to so.

I'm most concerned about the o-line. They have the most to prove IMO. A lot of Ponder's confidence, or lack thereof,(not alL of it) can legitimately be traced back to their atrocious play.

Obviously way to early to be definitive one way or the other...but I feel Ponder is is good to go.