Can the Vikings find success quickly?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Juice
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Can the Vikings find success quickly?

Post by Juice »

dead_poet wrote: I agree on everything but OL. What was once a glaring weakness has quietly become a position of strength fairly quickly. They probably have a top-15 (or top-10) o-line.

I agree. Sullivan is coming off a real nice year. It looks as though we've killed two birds with one stone with the Kalil pick allowing us to slide Johnson to the LG spot. Loadholt finished last season on a high note. (I believe he only allowed the QB to get hit once in his last 10 games).
"They say no matter how hard you work, there's always someone, somewhere working harder than you. Guess what? I'm that someone." -Kevin Garnett
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Juice wrote:I agree. Sullivan is coming off a real nice year. It looks as though we've killed two birds with one stone with the Kalil pick allowing us to slide Johnson to the LG spot. Loadholt finished last season on a high note. (I believe he only allowed the QB to get hit once in his last 10 games).
I was actually referencing the Packers' line. :)

But our own should be much improved. I think it could be one of strength in a couple of years, after they have a chance to gel a bit. It may be rough at first. My biggest concern is Loadholt in the passing game. I'm also hoping Fusco can hold his own and at least be serviceable.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Juice
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Juice »

dead_poet wrote: I was actually referencing the Packers' line. :)

But our own should be much improved. I think it could be one of strength in a couple of years, after they have a chance to gel a bit. It may be rough at first. My biggest concern is Loadholt in the passing game. I'm also hoping Fusco can hold his own and at least be serviceable.
:oops: Oh my. I'm an idiot, how embarrassing. I was about to put in that I didn't think we were quite at that range yet, too. Little late for that. :lol:
"They say no matter how hard you work, there's always someone, somewhere working harder than you. Guess what? I'm that someone." -Kevin Garnett
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:You'll probably laugh but I could see the Pack trading for/signing T-Jack after he officially loses his job to Flynn.

Maybe not that far-fetched. T-Jack has plenty of NFL experience, mobility, and he knows the division.

Obviously T-Jack isn't a solid QB, but with Aaron Rodgers around, all TJ has to be is a capable backup.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

dead_poet wrote: I agree on everything but OL. What was once a glaring weakness has quietly become a position of strength fairly quickly. They probably have a top-15 (or top-10) o-line.

It's striking how much the Packers and Lions have in common this season: great QBs, a questionable running game and defense.
Not something the Purple should relie on, but of the 3 team's QBs, I believe Stafford and Cutler both spent time hurt last year. The bears completely fell apart without Cutler, which I think says something about the state of their defense. Ditto with the Lions. The Packers are IMO, the NFC version of the Peyton Manning Colts. The division is theirs if Rogers stays healthy and consistent. If he plays like he did against the Giants in the playoffs then the division is wide open between the 3 of them.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

They have just as many problems as the Vikings only they had a winning season last year.
They have a competent quarterback, front office, and coach. And that's all you need to consistently compete. The Vikings have none of them. And that's why they won 15 games and we won 3.

Not many teams (any?) would be able to lose their starting QB and still compete for a wild card spot much less remain anywhere near what they were.

And I really doubt the Packers are stupid enough to want anything to do with TJoke. The guy has shown on two separate teams that he's not a very good quarterback. And Graham Harrell is just as likely to be a "capable" backup as Jackson is.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

Is anybody really defending T-Joke? Really? I'm suprised any team has any interest in him at all. Hell any 2nd string RB could play QB better than than him
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Eli wrote:A major injury to Aaron Rodgers and they're instantly the worst team in the division.
Any chance they play the Saints early in their schedule? :wink:
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

Laserman wrote:Is anybody really defending T-Joke? Really? I'm suprised any team has any interest in him at all. Hell any 2nd string RB could play QB better than than him
Not even close. Look, we all know he's not a starter, but he's a hell of a lot better than "any 2nd string RB". Don't get clouded by the fact that Chili was forcing him into a starter's role when it wasn't there.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Jackson could end up in Green Bay. Seriously. ANYTHING is better than Graham Harrell.
Seahawks attempts to trade Tarvaris Jackson to intensify this week

Green Bay is expected to seek a better back-up option, and Jackson fits that bill (Seattle general manager John Schneider spent much of career with the Packers and has strong ties there). Other GMs believe Cleveland back-up Colt McCoy could be a possible fit for the Packers as well, with one suggesting Miami's Matt Moore as a possibility for Arizona depending on how the Dolphins quarterback situation shapes up and whether or not David Garrard can return quickly from his knee scope.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-o ... l/19826262
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

glg wrote: Not even close. Look, we all know he's not a starter, but he's a hell of a lot better than "any 2nd string RB". Don't get clouded by the fact that Chili was forcing him into a starter's role when it wasn't there.
+1 - I always wanted Jackson to leave because I had this fear that he was always going to be named the starter at some point in the season (while Childress was here) and he just wasn't that good. I always liked his work ethic and attitude, and wouldn't even have a problem if he returned as long as it was clearly understood he was backup material only. I don't see that happening, but we could do alot worse in the backup QB department than Jackson...
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Just Me wrote: +1 - I always wanted Jackson to leave because I had this fear that he was always going to be named the starter at some point in the season (while Childress was here) and he just wasn't that good. I always liked his work ethic and attitude, and wouldn't even have a problem if he returned as long as it was clearly understood he was backup material only. I don't see that happening, but we could do alot worse in the backup QB department than Jackson...
That's true but I think they can do better too, not that they're necessarily doing it now. ;) I suppose it depends on how the team wants to approach the position and who is available. TJ is good enough to serve as a backup but ideally, I think it's better to have a young backup with more upside than that, someone who could eventually become a legitimate NFL starter. I'm thinking of QBs like Matt Hasselbeck, Matt Schaub or Matt Cassel. In other words, it should be someone named Matt!

Seriously, the 3 QBs I mentioned above all spent time as young backups but were able to become legitimate NFL starters. Super Bowl-winning QBs like Jeff Hostetler, Brad Johnson, Kurt Warner and Tom Brady all began their careers as backups too. I understand that a team can't always get backups like that but at this point, I see Jackson more like a younger Rosenfels, a veteran who can give you something off the bench but who no longer has an upside as a legitimate NFL starter. Rosenfels is obviously quite a bit older and I'm not comparing their style of play, just saying they're veterans who have probably shown the best they have to offer.

All of the above is why I think the Vikes need to be prepared to cut bait with Webb or demote him to 3rd on the depth chart if he doesn't make great strides forward this year. Thus far, as a QB, he's a phenomenal runner. They need a backup with more upside as a passer and if Webb can't demonstrate that, they need to add a young player who does.