Can the Vikings find success quickly?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Can the Vikings find success quickly?

Post by dead_poet »

Nice article/analysis:
@PFF: The Vikings have fallen far in a short time. @PFF_Khaled looks at whether 2012 is the start of their rebound > http://t.co/4Lr2ZE0U
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Can the Vikings find success quickly?

Post by Mothman »

Thanks (again) for the link. It was a fair analysis, although it ahd a little of the usual PFF weirdness. :)

Anyway, I think they made some good points, particularly about Ponder and the d-line. Their comments about the number of snaps Allen and Williams have had reveals just why Frazier wants to use a little more of a rotation this season.

It seems like every time I read or hear about the NFC North and the Vikings chances this season there is talk about the competition, which could definitely be formidable. However, we all know that every season brings surprises and injuries so who knows how it will all play out? The media seems to love the Lions but they were a .500 team in the second half of last season with a 1-3 record in the division over that stretch (GB beat them twice) and their defense gave up 45 points to GB in game 16 and 45 to new orleans a week later in the playoffs. They have some work to do and could easily take a step back, especially when you consider that Stafford has only played more than 10 games in a season once in his young career.

The Bears are hard to predict. I think they've improved their roster but Urlacher just had his knee scoped and reports are that he may have to nurse that thing all season, limiting practices, etc. In the past, when he's been less than 100% or when they've been without him, the Bears defense has been considerably less effective. the Bears were on a roll last season before Cutler went down but they only won 1 game after that (against the Vikes. They added Jason Campbell as a backup but it's pretty clear that their hopes of being much more than a .500 team rest firmly on Cutler's shoulders.

GB is a clear favorite to win the division and only an injury to Rodgers could probably be derail them.

My point is that the Vikes might actually be able to compete in this division, perhaps not for first place but they aren't slam dunk for last, just the favorites. ;) They'll need one of those season where a LOT of things go right for them and plenty goes wrong for their division rivals but that sort of things happens in the NFL and young teams can be unpredictable.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

I pretty much agree with Moth that the NFC North might be more difficult to predict than a lot of the sports media thinks. Personally, I see GB as being a well deserved favorite. But beyond that, I think there are serious question marks for the other teams. Of course, intangibles such as injuries will also play a big part.

On another note, I have no idea how much Ponder can improve but I'll go along with the article in saying the weaponry around him has gotten a bit better. Too bad the WR corps is still uncertain. I think Percy Harvin is a stud - period. Aside from him, though, things get foggy. Maybe Jenkins steps up, maybe not. I'm still hoping that Jerome Simpson can become a playmaker for the Vikings, though admittedly he can be inconsistent. The rest of the guys? I don't know. Thankfully, Rudolph is there at TE and I sure hope he remains healthy.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:I pretty much agree with Moth that the NFC North might be more difficult to predict than a lot of the sports media thinks. Personally, I see GB as being a well deserved favorite. But beyond that, I think there are serious question marks for the other teams. Of course, intangibles such as injuries will also play a big part.

On another note, I have no idea how much Ponder can improve but I'll go along with the article in saying the weaponry around him has gotten a bit better. Too bad the WR corps is still uncertain. I think Percy Harvin is a stud - period. Aside from him, though, things get foggy. Maybe Jenkins steps up, maybe not. I'm still hoping that Jerome Simpson can become a playmaker for the Vikings, though admittedly he can be inconsistent. The rest of the guys? I don't know. Thankfully, Rudolph is there at TE and I sure hope he remains healthy.
I hope so too and I hope Carlson can get healthy and make a genuine impact as a receiver. The WR corps is still pretty questionable but if those two TEs both step up, that could really help make up for it. the Vikes need someone else to emerge as a serious threat in the passing game and if that happens, it should take pressure off Harvin and open him up a little more. If the team gets lucky and Simpson, Rudolph and Carlson all step up, the Vikes could really have something.

Jim
radar55
All Pro Elite Player

Post by radar55 »

I believe each of you are correct with your assessment and it is a fact that injuries (or lack there of) can and will ultimately be a factor in the outcome of the divisional race but lets be honest. Without taking into account the possible variables, and based soley on the talent level of each team.....this year will be just like last year and without significant injuries to the other teams we will not win a single game against any of our divisional foes.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

radar55 wrote:this year will be just like last year and without significant injuries to the other teams we will not win a single game against any of our divisional foes.
I have a hard time believing this. It's not as if the Vikings are completely devoid of talent on both sides of the ball circa Lions of several years ago. They should at the very least give at least the Lions and Bears a good game, particularly at home.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

radar55 wrote:I believe each of you are correct with your assessment and it is a fact that injuries (or lack there of) can and will ultimately be a factor in the outcome of the divisional race but lets be honest. Without taking into account the possible variables, and based soley on the talent level of each team.....this year will be just like last year and without significant injuries to the other teams we will not win a single game against any of our divisional foes.
That's not necessarily true. It's not as if those 3 teams dominated the Vikes every time they met last year. There were close games against all 3 teams. The Lions, in particular, don't seem unbeatable to me at all. That was their first winning season in 11 years and they didn't finish strong. Can they sustain success or will they fall back a bit?

I'll be surprised if the Vikes go 0-6 in the NFC North this year.
radar55
All Pro Elite Player

Post by radar55 »

Mothman wrote: That's not necessarily true. It's not as if those 3 teams dominated the Vikes every time they met last year. There were close games against all 3 teams. The Lions, in particular, don't seem unbeatable to me at all. That was their first winning season in 11 years and they didn't finish strong. Can they sustain success or will they fall back a bit?

I'll be surprised if the Vikes go 0-6 in the NFC North this year.
Dont get me wrong, I hope we go 6-0 in the division. I just dont believe the O line, the secondary or the offensive scheme will start to create significant results until next year. The process of rebuilding takes time and I am more of a realist than an optomist (sp?).
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

radar55 wrote: Dont get me wrong, I hope we go 6-0 in the division. I just dont believe the O line, the secondary or the offensive scheme will start to create significant results until next year. The process of rebuilding takes time and I am more of a realist than an optomist (sp?).
It's Optimist. You were close. You just replaced an i with an o. :)

I agree that it can take time for changes to take hold and yield significant results. My point was just that as bad as they were, the Vikes played close games against all 3 divisional opponents last season so I think there's a realistic chance they could win at least one divisional game this year. Perhaps even more...
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

radar55 wrote:Dont get me wrong, I hope we go 6-0 in the division. I just dont believe the O line, the secondary or the offensive scheme will start to create significant results until next year. The process of rebuilding takes time and I am more of a realist than an optomist (sp?).

Your point is well taken. And yes, the Vikings will need more time to rebuild. My only rebuttal is that I believe the Lions and Bears have their own set of question marks as well. Are they currently better teams than the Vikings? That could be true. But are they teams that one can assume will be in contention for a division title? I don't think I'd want to guarantee that. Not at this point, anyway. Personally, I find that view to be more realistic than optimistic or negative.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Wow. I watched a little of the Packers second preseason game tonight against the Browns. The Packers don't have a backup QB at all. They have Graham Harrell, a 27 year old who went undrafted, was signed and cut by a CFL team, and has been on the Packers' practice squad for the past two years. After him, they have B. J. Coleman, a 7th round rookie taken with the 243rd pick. Their defense absolutely stinks. A major injury to Aaron Rodgers and they're instantly the worst team in the division.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Eli wrote:Wow. I watched a little of the Packers second preseason game tonight against the Browns. The Packers don't have a backup QB at all. They have Graham Harrell, a 27 year old who went undrafted, was signed and cut by a CFL team, and has been on the Packers' practice squad for the past two years. After him, they have B. J. Coleman, a 7th round rookie taken with the 243rd pick. Their defense absolutely stinks. A major injury to Aaron Rodgers and they're instantly the worst team in the division.
What the Packers have is a QB that can throw the ball and good WR corp. Other than that, they are working on the DBs, the OL, the LBs and the RB. They have just as many problems as the Vikings only they had a winning season last year.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Raptorman wrote:What the Packers have is a QB that can throw the ball and good WR corp. Other than that, they are working on the DBs, the OL, the LBs and the RB. They have just as many problems as the Vikings only they had a winning season last year.
Aaron Rodgers compensates for a lot of the Pack's problems. He's that good.

But Eli is right. If Rodgers gets hurt, the Pack is in trouble.
Juice
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Juice »

:lol: Jake Reed seems to think so...
Jake Reed @JakeReed86
Can somebody say playoffs???? Skol!!!!
"They say no matter how hard you work, there's always someone, somewhere working harder than you. Guess what? I'm that someone." -Kevin Garnett
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Raptorman wrote:
I agree on everything but OL. What was once a glaring weakness has quietly become a position of strength fairly quickly. They probably have a top-15 (or top-10) o-line.

It's striking how much the Packers and Lions have in common this season: great QBs, a questionable running game and defense.