Jenkins

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Eli
Hall of Famer

Re: Jenkins

Post by Eli »

VikingLord wrote:So if he reaches his 50 reception/year watermark, at $2.5 million that's $50,000 per catch.

Could be worse I guess.
It's not like the Vikings didn't know they were signing a 50 reception/year receiver. Remember what the WR corps looked like going into last season? It was ugly. They were desperate, and desperate teams looking for half decent players have a tendency to overpay them.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Michael Jenkins - WR - Vikings
ESPN 1500 Twin Cities reports Michael Jenkins recently agreed to slash his $2.5 million salary to $1 million.

"Molasses Mike" saw the writing on the wall. Per beat writer Tom Pelissero, Jenkins also agreed to cut his $2.5 million 2013 salary to $825,000. The 60 percent pay-cut coupled with rookie Greg Childs' season-ending injury could be enough to secure Jenkins' 2012 roster spot, but it's doubtful he'll be back in 2013.
Source: ESPN 1500 Twin Cities Aug 14 - 9:36 PM
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

That's how you rebuild a team, give snaps to washed up bums with no chance of coming back the following year.

Let your coaches coach, players play, and washed up never beens walk.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

So I guess now the Vikings are looking for player bargains?

Get peg-leg Peterson to take a ****ing pay cut. Jenkins is the least of their worries.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

So I guess now the Vikings are looking for bargains?
Hopefully Zygi won't be like the Pohlads and worry about spending less now that the stadium deal is done...
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Eli wrote:It's not like the Vikings didn't know they were signing a 50 reception/year receiver. Remember what the WR corps looked like going into last season? It was ugly. They were desperate, and desperate teams looking for half decent players have a tendency to overpay them.

And the Vikings needed a big, physical guy in their WR corps. Jenkins fits that mold, but he has to stay healthy. It's not like he's expected to be a #1 guy.

I thought Jenkins seemed awkward in the first preseason game and maybe that was because he wasn't feeling up to par.

Anyway, sounds as if Jenkins took a pay cut.
mefford76
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mefford76 »

What WR are we supposed to keep over Jenkins? They aren't even PS worthy guys at that point. Jenkins is consistent and that's a good thing for Ponder. He's not holding any young talent back. I usually agree with that theory, but we don't have anyone that's close to pushing him do we?
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

mefford76 wrote:What WR are we supposed to keep over Jenkins? They aren't even PS worthy guys at that point. Jenkins is consistent and that's a good thing for Ponder. He's not holding any young talent back. I usually agree with that theory, but we don't have anyone that's close to pushing him do we?

I agree. Especially since he was willing to take a pay cut.

I can't believe someone referred to AD as "Peg Leg". That has to be one of the dumber things I have ever heard.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mefford76 wrote:What WR are we supposed to keep over Jenkins? They aren't even PS worthy guys at that point. Jenkins is consistent and that's a good thing for Ponder. He's not holding any young talent back. I usually agree with that theory, but we don't have anyone that's close to pushing him do we?
I don't know if this is completely current but here's a list of WRs Vikings.com says are on the roster:

16 Arceneaux, Emmanuel
19 Aromashodu, Devin
11 Burton, Stephen
12 Harvin, Percy
84 Jenkins, Michael
2 Jorden, Kamar
87 Love, A.J. WR
81 Simpson, Jerome
15 Taylor, Kerry
13 Walters, Bryan
17 Wright, Jarius

Harvin and Simpson are locks to make the roster. Burton and Aromashodu could conceivably push Jenkins for a roster spot. Beyond those two, I doubt there's any serious competition for him (assuming he can return to pre-injury form).
PurpleMustReign wrote:I can't believe someone referred to AD as "Peg Leg". That has to be one of the dumber things I have ever heard.
Agreed. How dare he suffer an injury!
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote:
I don't know if this is completely current but here's a list of WRs Vikings.com says are on the roster:

16 Arceneaux, Emmanuel
19 Aromashodu, Devin
11 Burton, Stephen
12 Harvin, Percy
84 Jenkins, Michael
2 Jorden, Kamar
87 Love, A.J. WR
81 Simpson, Jerome
15 Taylor, Kerry
13 Walters, Bryan
17 Wright, Jarius

Harvin and Simpson are locks to make the roster. Burton and Aromashodu could conceivably push Jenkins for a roster spot. Beyond those two, I doubt there's any serious competition for him (assuming he can return to pre-injury form).

I would guess that Wright will make it too unless he gets injured or REALLY stinks it up in the preseason.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Overlookking the usual distain from the usual sources (coaches suck, players suck, the organization sucks blah blah),
Jenkins, who is just 30 yoa, is a very competent #2 possesion receiver with good hands and skills and seems to be developing a good relationship with Ponder. He made some terrific plays last year and through out his college and NFL career. I am happy to see that he might be staying put with a decreased salary. As a another poster pointed out who do you replace him with?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmmPqLZci6M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6J1X81F4ns
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP5SuxlH ... re=related
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Mothman wrote:Harvin and Simpson are locks to make the roster. Burton and Aromashodu could conceivably push Jenkins for a roster spot. Beyond those two, I doubt there's any serious competition for him (assuming he can return to pre-injury form).
Unless he's injured, Wright should also take one of the roster spots.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Purple bruise wrote:Overlookking the usual distain from the usual sources (coaches suck, players suck, the organization sucks blah blah),
Jenkins, who is just 30 yoa, is a very competent #2 possesion receiver with good hands and skills and seems to be developing a good relationship with Ponder. He made some terrific plays last year and through out his college and NFL career. I am happy to see that he might be staying put with a decreased salary. As a another poster pointed out who do you replace him with?
There's no urgent need to replace him at all. At 30, he should still be able to play for a few years unless he can't completely come back from his injury. When healthy, he's an average possession receiver with good size on a team that can use one. If I recall correctly, he signed a 3 year deal when joining the Vikes so there's no need to rush him out of town unless they have someone better. They can add more WR talent next year and replace him then if the talent level merits the move or just let him move on to another team after his contract runs out.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

I'm seriously starting to wonder about Jarius Wright. I haven't even seen his name mentioned in training camp coverage, and he doesn't appear to have secured a job as a returner. I don't think he'd have much trouble clearing waivers at this point, so he could be stuffed on the practice squad if need be. If Wright doesn't make it as a returner, then the Vikings will only carry five wide receivers.

But I did read this:
Wide receivers coach George Stewart has been in this profession for 30 years and coaching in the NFL for 24 seasons, including the past six with the Vikings. According to Stewart, "Emmanuel Arceneaux has improved more than any player in one year that I've ever coached," Stewart said. "That's in (all my) years of coaching and in every facet. He's going to be a player that's going to help us again this year."

Asked to elaborate on the areas in which Arceneaux has improved, Stewart said: "Everything. Route running, run blocking, catching the ball, confidence in what he's doing. The whole gamut as a receiver. Now is he ready to go to the Hall of Fame? No, but he has improved from year one to year two, and as a coach and as a player that's what you strive to have."
http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Zulg ... vers080712

Even in this article, Wright isn't mentioned once, while Greg Childs is.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Eli wrote:I'm seriously starting to wonder about Jarius Wright. I haven't even seen his name mentioned in training camp coverage, and he doesn't appear to have secured a job as a returner. I don't think he'd have much trouble clearing waivers at this point, so he could be stuffed on the practice squad if need be. If Wright doesn't make it as a returner, then the Vikings will only carry five wide receivers.
I doubt making it as a returner is his only avenue to make the team and talk about waiving him seems premature.
http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Zulg ... vers080712

Even in this article, Wright isn't mentioned once, while Greg Childs is.
That's probably because the article focuses on the split end position and I seriously doubt the Vikings are considering Wright for that role. His size and skills set are better suited to play off the line, in the slot or perhaps at flanker. Teams usually choose to play bigger receivers at split end since they have to be on the line and, consequently, deal with more jamming.

I haven't seen a lot about Wright in camp coverage but he's been mentioned. In fact, he was just mentioned yesterday:

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Note ... cket081412
Two fourth-round draft picks, receiver Jarius Wright and tight end Rhett Ellison, got time with the starting offense against the 49ers -- and that was more than an experiment.

"All along, we know that Rhett, that Jarius, a few other guys on offense, young guys, are going to have to step up and play quite a bit for us," Frazier said.

"So, not only this week but even in that third preseason game, we're going to play those guys quite a bit and try to get them acclimated to the speed of the game, although it's going to ratchet up a little bit when we get to that first regular-season game.

"But we're going to continue to throw them in there and they've got to play early for us. This is not a redshirt deal. We've got some young guys that we're counting on to help us this season."