Vikings @ 49ers Preseason Game Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Vikings @ 49ers Preseason Game Thread

Post by Mothman »

Eli wrote: Athletic, yes. Talented? Not so much.
I guess it depends on how you want to define talent. Webb strikes me as a very talented player, with a great throwing arm and a natural aptitude for improvisation, open field running and avoiding tacklers. What he doesn't seem to be is a very skilled player, at least not by NFL QB standards.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Webb has tremendous athletic talent, but Moth has it nailed, he hasn't shown the skill deverlopment to be a full time starter at any position.

IMO the QB is going to have an impact on AP, not the WR. Not sure how the guy catching the ball is going to impact 8 man fronts more than the guy throwing it/ calling the audible/ making the read, but everyone is entitled to an opinion.

I think folks are way overblowing the WR situation. This isn't to say the situation is ideal, it isn't, but I fail to see how our current situation is any different than before the Childs injury in terms of the 2012 season. WR typically take 2-3 years to develop, a season like 1998 Moss is the exception, not the norm. So IMO, our siutation is currently on the same trajectory for this season as it always has been. The only thing the Childs injury has taken away was potential in 2013 or more likely 2014. Folks seem to have forgotten we also drafted Jarius Wright. So we still have a prospect in development.

Also, the Patriots make a thier offense run on 2 TE and a slot guy. Yes, they have Tom Brady, but that is really the point, our passing attack is all on the shoulders of Ponder. Whether we have Megatron or Jenkins, what really matters is if Ponder can make the throws.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:Webb has tremendous athletic talent, but Moth has it nailed, he hasn't shown the skill deverlopment to be a full time starter at any position.

IMO the QB is going to have an impact on AP, not the WR. Not sure how the guy catching the ball is going to impact 8 man fronts more than the guy throwing it/ calling the audible/ making the read, but everyone is entitled to an opinion.

I think folks are way overblowing the WR situation. This isn't to say the situation is ideal, it isn't, but I fail to see how our current situation is any different than before the Childs injury in terms of the 2012 season. WR typically take 2-3 years to develop, a season like 1998 Moss is the exception, not the norm. So IMO, our siutation is currently on the same trajectory for this season as it always has been. The only thing the Childs injury has taken away was potential in 2013 or more likely 2014. Folks seem to have forgotten we also drafted Jarius Wright. So we still have a prospect in development.

Also, the Patriots make a thier offense run on 2 TE and a slot guy. Yes, they have Tom Brady, but that is really the point, our passing attack is all on the shoulders of Ponder. Whether we have Megatron or Jenkins, what really matters is if Ponder can make the throws.
... and if the revamped OL can give him the time to make them.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Maybe we just need to accept that Webb's a talented, athletic backup QB.
Talented fine, but he lacks the talents needed to succeed at that position. Hopefully they find a better option to give those snaps to, sooner rather than later.
9man
Transition Player

Post by 9man »

Mothman wrote: I guess it depends on how you want to define talent. Webb strikes me as a very talented player, with a great throwing arm and a natural aptitude for improvisation, open field running and avoiding tacklers. What he doesn't seem to be is a very skilled player, at least not by NFL QB standards.
I can't remember, has he ever returned punts/kicks? It maybe a waste of a WR spot but could he be a return guy?
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:I guess it depends on how you want to define talent. Webb strikes me as a very talented player, with a great throwing arm and a natural aptitude for improvisation, open field running and avoiding tacklers. What he doesn't seem to be is a very skilled player, at least not by NFL QB standards.

I'll go along with your definition of Webb's talent. However, I think you've just defined Webb as still playing UAB college ball but in the pro league. That's the problem.

I guess that's where the *skilled* part is lacking.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:
I'll go along with your definition of Webb's talent. However, I think you've just defined Webb as still playing UAB college ball but in the pro league. That's the problem.

I guess that's where the *skilled* part is lacking.
Exactly.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

I actually read something about Jarius Wright having played a significant number of snaps against the 49ers. Could have fooled me. What did he do? Did he have a single reception, carry, return or tackle?

This guy has been invisible so far.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Eli wrote:I actually read something about Jarius Wright having played a significant number of snaps against the 49ers. Could have fooled me. What did he do? Did he have a single reception, carry, return or tackle?

And as we all know, if a guy isn't so amazing that people are gushing about him in the first preseason game, he'll probably be a loser.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Cliff wrote: And as we all know, if a guy isn't so amazing that people are gushing about him in the first preseason game, he'll probably be a loser.

Right.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Eli wrote:I actually read something about Jarius Wright having played a significant number of snaps against the 49ers. Could have fooled me. What did he do? Did he have a single reception, carry, return or tackle?

IIRC, Wright had a few passes tossed his way but I don't recall any completions.

I actually liked this kid in college. Wright was an explosive playmaker. So I would like to see him more involved in the preseason games just to see if he can translate his skills to the pro league. I mean, it's not like the Vikings don't need receivers.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

My thoughts after first preseason

Kalil is a going to be an all pro left tackle for us soon and the OL is much better.

Toby Gerhart is decent but not AD at all.. but he did a great job pass blocking on a few plays

Rudolf did great for us

Ponder is better than I thought

Jasper Brinkley looked lost out there as did Mistral Raymond

I would like to see more more of the Wide Out Taylor kid in the next few games.

Joe Webb has not progressed at all and should moved to Saftey or wide out or cut
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!