How many wins this year

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Re: How many wins this year

Post by hibbingviking »

wont be good for frazier if vikings have another dismal year.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

VikingLord wrote: I would have expected an improvement of some sort this season, but after watching the starting Viking defense against a solid, but unspectacular, 49er offense, I'd say they'll be lucky to get 3 wins again. Ponder and the offense look to be pedestrian. They'll probably improve as the season goes on, but if the defense is that bad they're going to just get pounded by the other offenses in the North.
Really after just the first meaningless game with most of the key starters not even playing you have come to that conclussion.
Tough crowd :confused:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

CBS Sportsline has a Vikes season preview on their site now:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/storylist/ ... ta-vikings

It's looks like a collection of pieces from different writers and it's not exactly optimistic. Here's their "insider's take":
The Vikings are the fourth-best team in their division, and the chances of them climbing to say, third, are remote. For one, there's more talent at the three others within the NFC North. There's also a philosophical difference: The Vikings are rebuilding; the Packers, Lions and Bears are reloading. Second, the Vikings have significant shortcomings, especially in the secondary, where they just added new faces. Third, there's no assurance that Ponder can or will be a franchise quarterback. It's a critical season for the guy, the franchise and coach Leslie Frazier. The Vikings stood by Frazier after last year's 3-13 finish, and they believe in him. So do his players. But this process will take time -- which means time for Ponder to develop, time for Peterson to return to form and time for the defense to come together. Minnesota is young, and young teams need to mature. This team is no different. Bottom line: The Vikings are at least a season away from being a factor within their division.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Mothman wrote:CBS Sportsline has a Vikes season preview on their site now:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/storylist/ ... ta-vikings

It's looks like a collection of pieces from different writers and it's not exactly optimistic. Here's their "insider's take":
Interesting read, and it's hard to disagree (overall, anyway) with their conclusions, but 3-13 projected record? C'mon, I'm fairly certain we aren't looking at a 10+ win season here, but I think the fact (alone) that Ponder actually gets a proper off-season and training camp will get us at least 4 wins. I think 5-6 wins is not unrealistic. I still think that's probably 4th in the Division, but we may have a shot at climibing into 3rd.
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Just Me wrote:Interesting read, and it's hard to disagree (overall, anyway) with their conclusions, but 3-13 projected record? C'mon, I'm fairly certain we aren't looking at a 10+ win season here, but I think the fact (alone) that Ponder actually gets a proper off-season and training camp will get us at least 4 wins. I think 5-6 wins is not unrealistic. I still think that's probably 4th in the Division, but we may have a shot at climibing into 3rd.
I agree on all counts but I can't argue that a 3-13 record is a distinct possibility too. If Ponder stays healthy and is genuinely improved, that alone could help the team get a few more wins but the defense still has serious questions up the middle and in the back 7. I'm not sure the Vikes have a legitimate starting DT other than Kevin Williams or a legitimate starting MLB at all. Even if Smith works out, that might only give them one good safety. The depth is thin at a number of key positions so the Vikes need to hope the starters at those positions remain healthy. If they don't, it could very ugly again. I just hope it doesn't go in that direction...