MRI confirms torn ACL for Adrian Peterson

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: MRI confirms torn ACL for Adrian Peterson

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote:With Simpson out the first 3 games, it's basically the same offense as last year. The line and TE positions have been upgraded but not enough to stop the 8 and 9-man fronts AD commands. That's too much abuse on someone who isn't even 9 months removed from the injury. Everyone knew that someone had to reign AD in because he's a beastly competitor, I have to say at this point I don't think that's being done very well.
What do you think they haven't done very well? They've kept him away from contact and have limited his running and emphasized patience throughout his rehabilitation process. If he's coming off the PUP list now and returning to practice this week, maybe that just means he's actually ready to to return to practice. From what I've read, most orthopedic physicians recommend an athlete wait at least 6 months and preferably 7-9 months after surgery to repair a torn ACL before returning to athletic competition. Peterson is past the 7 month mark now so maybe he's ready to test his knee in practice.

At this point, we don't know if there is any rush. The target has been to get him ready to play in week 1 but Frazier has hedged his bets on that all along. They will probably see how he responds to practice reps and take it from there. If he looks ready for contact after practicing for a while, maybe they'll work in some light contact. IF he plays in a preseason game, I'm guessing it will be a brief appearance and even if he plays in week 1, that doesn't mean he'll be out there for the majority of the offensive snaps taking abuse from stacked defenses.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

I just found some more info on this:

http://www.cbssports.com/general/blog/n ... o-practice
Frazier was quick to say it will be some time before Peterson is fully participating.

“I want to caution you that this is just part of the process,” Frazier said. “It's doesn't mean a whole lot other than he has a done a great job in his rehab up to this point. Our medical and training staff explained to me that the next step in the process would be to get him integrated with his teammates -- and that's just what it means. He's done everything he can do on the side, and now this is the next step in the process.”
Frazier said that even once Peterson fully returns, the coaching staff will take things slowly with the start running back, who is less than eight months removed from the New Year's Eve surgery on the torn ACL and MCL in his left knee.

“I don't think there will be a time [in practice] where we'll say it's live on Adrian,” Frazier said. “You don't want him to go to the ground in practice. The first time he'll go to the ground, if I have anything to say about it, it will be in a game situation. We're not going to take him to the ground in practice.”
There's more at the link.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Mothman wrote: What do you think they haven't done very well? They've kept him away from contact and have limited his running and emphasized patience throughout his rehabilitation process. If he's coming off the PUP list now and returning to practice this week, maybe that just means he's actually ready to to return to practice. From what I've read, most orthopedic physicians recommend an athlete wait at least 6 months and preferably 7-9 months after surgery to repair a torn ACL before returning to athletic competition. Peterson is past the 7 month mark now so maybe he's ready to test his knee in practice.

At this point, we don't know if there is any rush. The target has been to get him ready to play in week 1 but Frazier has hedged his bets on that all along. They will probably see how he responds to practice reps and take it from there. If he looks ready for contact after practicing for a while, maybe they'll work in some light contact. IF he plays in a preseason game, I'm guessing it will be a brief appearance and even if he plays in week 1, that doesn't mean he'll be out there for the majority of the offensive snaps taking abuse from stacked defenses.
If you didn't truncate my quote, you would have seen the word speculation, which is all we're going off of right now and I'm cognizant of that. I think taking a guy off the PUP at this point of the preseason gives off the impression that he'll be playing in game 1 and maybe, as has been speculated, as early as the third preseason game. I'm aware of what Frazier has said, but these actions do speak. There was initial thought that Peterson might even enter the SEASON on the PUP, and now he's off before the second preseason game. Maybe he has freakish healing, maybe they are just bringing him in for reps, or maybe they're rushing him back, I really don't know. I'm just commenting from an outsiders perspective at this junction.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote:If you didn't truncate my quote, you would have seen the word speculation, which is all we're going off of right now and I'm cognizant of that.
I'm sorry if not quoting your entire post created the impression that I didn't read all of it. I read every word. I simply cut it off so the question that began my response would immediately follow the sentence in your post that prompted it. I often do that to improve the flow of a reply. It doesn't seem necessary to quote a post in it's entirety when replying but I always read an entire post before responding to it.

Anyway, I didn't see your statement that "Everyone knew that someone had to reign AD in because he's a beastly competitor, I have to say at this point I don't think that's being done very well" as speculative. It seemed like an explicit statement of your point of view, so I wondered why you felt that way. I wasn't trying to start a debate. I simply didn't understand why you would feel that way given the way Peterson's rehab has been handled so far.
I think taking a guy off the PUP at this point of the preseason gives off the impression that he'll be playing in game 1 and maybe, as has been speculated, as early as the third preseason game. I'm aware of what Frazier has said, but these actions do speak. There was initial thought that Peterson might even enter the SEASON on the PUP, and now he's off before the second preseason game. Maybe he has freakish healing, maybe they are just bringing him in for reps, or maybe they're rushing him back, I really don't know. I'm just commenting from an outsiders perspective at this junction.
You have to admit, " I don't know" is a pretty different reaction than "I don't think that's being done very well". :)

There has been speculation that Peterson could start the season on the PUP list but his target all along has been to be ready when the season begins. I understand your concerns but I think all this particular action says is they believe they've reached the next step of the process. As Frazier put it, they've done what they can do on the side and it's time for AD to be integrated with his teammates.
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

Demi wrote: Which based on their history, isn't very likely. And definitely isn't helped by their jobs being on the line.
The doctors' jobs aren't on the line.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Mothman wrote:You have to admit, " I don't know" is a pretty different reaction than "I don't think that's being done very well". :)
Well, "I don't know" is probably the correct catchall in most circumstances since we don't know the intricacies of what goes on behind closed doors. But that doesn't lend well to messageboard discussions, so generally in these sort of cases I take what information is available and make some sort of statement. I don't see the need to sit on the fence, I don't see the fun in that :wink: .
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote: Well, "I don't know" is probably the correct catchall in most circumstances since we don't know the intricacies of what goes on behind closed doors. But that doesn't lend well to messageboard discussions, so generally in these sort of cases I take what information is available and make some sort of statement. I don't see the need to sit on the fence, I don't see the fun in that :wink: .
No, that's not much fun at all. :)
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@TomPelissero: Here's an expanded Q&A with one upbeat Adrian Peterson after today's #Vikings practice. http://t.co/2U1jkcsf
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly