MRI confirms torn ACL for Adrian Peterson

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: MRI confirms torn ACL for Adrian Peterson

Post by Purple bruise »

Let's all hope for the best and see the face of the franchise return to his "old" self :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBz34VxA ... re=related
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

I think the Vikings will be a lot better. The team has added way too many new parts over the past few years, and that lack of a proper preseason last year started a funk that they couldn't crawl out of. A team with potential, when losing, will try too hard and make mistakes; a truly bad team will just give up. I think there was a lot more of the former than the latter with that team last year. Giving up had been a problem in the past, but after Ponder took over they kept a lot of them (except Green Bay and New Orleans...and both of those teams were Super Bowl or Super Bowl caliber teams) close. I think their receiver depth is greatly improved this year, their line is better, and they've added some depth in their secondary. They've got a starting quarterback that will have a full offseason to get in sync with his receivers and the team will probably embrace Ponder as their guy now. A lot of those games that were close might tip the other way...a lot of them were down to a touchdown or field goal.

AD should have better blocking in any case this year. They've drafted and signed enough fullbacks and tight ends over the past couple years that at least one or two of them should step up.
-Rus
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

I hope that this has not already been posted but if so I apologise. AD talks tp ESPN reporter about his come back.
http://thevikingage.com/2012/05/21/adri ... hab-video/
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Adrian Peterson - RB - Vikings

Coach Leslie Frazier confirmed that the Vikings envision limiting Adrian Peterson's early-season workload.

"He's so valuable to our organization that we have to be smart. We'll tread lightly as far as Week 1 and how much he'll contribute on the field," said Frazier. "Even when we get to training camp, he's going to be chomping at the bit but we'll have to be smart." We're tentatively expecting Peterson to get the ceremonial opening-day start even if works in as a change-of-pace to Toby Gerhart for the first quarter of the season.
Source: USA Today
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

dead_poet wrote:Adrian Peterson - RB - Vikings

Coach Leslie Frazier confirmed that the Vikings envision limiting Adrian Peterson's early-season workload.

"He's so valuable to our organization that we have to be smart. We'll tread lightly as far as Week 1 and how much he'll contribute on the field," said Frazier. "Even when we get to training camp, he's going to be chomping at the bit but we'll have to be smart." We're tentatively expecting Peterson to get the ceremonial opening-day start even if works in as a change-of-pace to Toby Gerhart for the first quarter of the season.
Source: USA Today
Not a bad idea, the schedule starts off easy anyway. Giving him a couple weeks of rest should also give the line more time to gel (so hopefully they can block someone by the time he's ready). I'd say wait until at least Simpson is on the field before giving him any decent workload.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

the schedule starts off easy anyway
Same thing every team that plays us is probably saying. :lol:

This is about more than just this season, hopefully they play it safe with him, unlike what they've done in the past with him and other players. Between the injury, and the way he plays he could use the lower workload. Try and extend his career a little.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

hope they put him on the pup list. better to be safe than sorry. they better make sure he is 110% ready before seeing action. :smilevike:
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Beast.
@JosinaAnderson: Sources say plan is to take #Vikings Adrian Peterson (acl, mcl) off PUP as early as tomorrow.
@JosinaAnderson: Sources add that the Vikings are targeting a Tuesday return for RB Adrian Peterson to practice at this time.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

:(
Juice
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Juice »

The websites I've checked usually have the return to competitive sports after a torn ACL is no earlier than 8 months, 9-12 are typical. Peterson had surgery just before New Years so a Tuesday return would put him at 8.5 months.
Demi wrote::(
What?
"They say no matter how hard you work, there's always someone, somewhere working harder than you. Guess what? I'm that someone." -Kevin Garnett
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

It wouldn't really be what you'd call a return to the sport. It just means that he'd begin practicing with the team. My guess is that they'll keep him out of contract drills for a while, until they get a better idea of where he is. They almost have to do it that way. You can't expect him to be reinstated to the roster, go through his first practices, his first contact, and then his first game, all in a matter of days. If they were to take a month for all of it, that would bring him back to begin playing in the 2nd or 3rd game.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Juice wrote:The websites I've checked usually have the return to competitive sports after a torn ACL is no earlier than 8 months, 9-12 are typical. Peterson had surgery just before New Years so a Tuesday return would put him at 8.5 months.
What?
I assume he thinks they're binging Peterson back to practice too early but that's a call only those close to the situation can make. We just have to hope everyone involved exercises good judgment.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Adrian Peterson - RB - Vikings
Adrian Peterson (knee) has been removed from the active/PUP list.

It means he cannot start the 2012 regular season on the reserve/PUP list. Peterson is already working with the first team at Vikings practice and figures to play in a game at some point this preseason. It's clear that Peterson has not suffered a setback since his ACL surgery in December and, although he could still miss a game or two, he seems on track to return in time for the team's Week 1 game against Jacksonville.

Source: Judd Zulgad on Twitter Aug 12 - 12:34 PM[/]
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

We just have to hope everyone involved exercises good judgment.
Which based on their history, isn't very likely. And definitely isn't helped by their jobs being on the line.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

With Simpson out the first 3 games, it's basically the same offense as last year. The line and TE positions have been upgraded but not enough to stop the 8 and 9-man fronts AD commands. That's too much abuse on someone who isn't even 9 months removed from the injury. Everyone knew that someone had to reign AD in because he's a beastly competitor, I have to say at this point I don't think that's being done very well. If this really is a rebuild year, then what's the rush? We were unsure if he would start game 1 and now there's talk about playing in preseason? I sure hope all that speculation is wrong.