Vikings @ 49ers Preseason Game Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings @ 49ers Preseason Game Thread

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Man that was one hard game to watch, even for pre season. Fraizer hasnt fixed the secondary, despite being a DB on a SB team. Wish he had left but too late now. Cook looks slower then an CB i ve ever seen. Ponder is Ponder. I dont expect crap from him, and im never disapointed. Oh and without PH our WRs look worse then last year. Im betting we are top 5 on worst QBs on a roster in the entire NFL. Again, I will be surprised if we win more then 3 games, like last year, despite having it so easy the first half of season.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

Eli wrote: Just watched it again. Yeah, Cook didn't look too quick.
Not being able to catch Kaepernick isn't the worst thing in the world. Keeping up with him and almost catching him is actually pretty impressive. Kaep runs a 4.5 40, Cook a 4.45, pretty comparable in speed
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

Ponder looked fine, IMO... Except for Percy, our receivers are a serious weakness, though.

Burton showed a little something, but the other guys looked like practice squad players. Dropped passes, lazy route running... not good.

Are we seriously going to battle in the NFL with Jenkins, Simpson, and Burton??? :roll: None of these guys strikes me as an NFL-caliber #1 guy... and I have my doubts whether any of them are #2 caliber.

Maybe we should talk to Plaxico.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

Welcome to the first preseason game of rebuilding, rather than "re-loading".

Some painful things happened. I have some questions about the defense, for sure. While they were playing without three key starters, I saw some real problems with guys being out of position to make plays, and have some questions about playcalling schemes. But, then again, both teams were showing pretty vanilla stuff, so maybe these questions will have good answers. The LBs did not look good, the safeties were predictably not good from what I saw, although the CBs were not as bad as I expected. And I actually think Chris Carr looked ok, aside from the TD, where he simply got beat. Seems like a sure tackler.

Offensively, the OL was improved, but the depth is disconcerting to put it kindly. Ponder is progressing, but was hoping for more confidence. Of course, with a young line, things (bad and good) will happen. LOVE the TEs. That will be a major key to any success this season, and I like the rapport Ponder seems to have already with Rudolph. WRs were... a bit off. Lots of dropped balls, but that will hopefully improve with reps. Toby looked good. RB looks like the Vikes' deepest position.

Overall, I would say they are where I expected them to be, although I am disappointed by the WR play. I really thought oe of those guys would rise to the top early, and I just don't see it. Joe Webb... athletic, but questionable as a QB. Really, I just don't see the upside unless they have some interesting plans for him. He may be a great athlete, but I have doubts about him as an NFL football player, and I know that is not a popular position to take. IF they can find ways to help him contribute consistently, I will happily change my tune.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

BGM wrote:Joe Webb... athletic, but questionable as a QB. Really, I just don't see the upside unless they have some interesting plans for him. He may be a great athlete, but I have doubts about him as an NFL football player, and I know that is not a popular position to take.
No, I think it's become pretty apparent at this point. The idea that Joe Webb is going to have any sort of impact in the NFL is wishful thinking. The Vikings are going to have to address the QB position after this season. Webb isn't a viable backup and Rosenfels will be a 35 year old stop-gap that you hope to never actually see on the field. And then there will be the question of whether Ponder is actually the QB of the future, which may be answered once everyone has seen him play a full season.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

BGM wrote: Joe Webb... athletic, but questionable as a QB. Really, I just don't see the upside unless they have some interesting plans for him. He may be a great athlete, but I have doubts about him as an NFL football player, and I know that is not a popular position to take.
But BGM, he has big hands, just like Favre...

The more I watch the way the defense played, the more appalled I am. This team certainly has it's offensive questions. I thought Ponder looked shaky and the receivers were god-awful, but as you pointed out, the TE's, offensive line, and RB's didn't look that bad and Ponder was facing one of the NFL's better defenses from last year on the road, so I'll give the offense a pass.

But the defense... I haven't seen a defensive performance that weak in a long time. The Vikings were just physically manhandled up front, and the secondary players took angles that made me question whether they have ever played at the pro level. I mean, taking a bad angle on Brandon Jacobs? Really??? I didn't know that was even possible, but "Miss-It-All" Raymond managed to do it. It was amazing to watch.

I think Harbaugh should complain to the league and make sure he gets preseason opponents who actually field NFL-caliber players. What the Vikings put out there were Division II college players for the most part. Downright awful and Frazier should be crapping his pants right now and/or get his golden boys who sat out suited up for the next contest so they might not embarrass themselves again.
Last edited by VikingLord on Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

I thought the defensive line played fine. They were missing two starters, Letroy Guion went out early with a knee injury, and Brian Robison has never been known to be a stout run defender.

But the starting linebackers and secondary ... wow. Harrison Smith needs to begin working with the first team NOW, not later. Every starting position behind the defensive line should be completely up for grabs. I couldn't imagine the defense playing any worse with Audie Cole, Marvin Mitchell, Reggie Jones and Bobby Felder starting.
Last edited by Eli on Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

VikingLord wrote: But BGM, he has big hands, just like Favre...

The more I watch the way the defense played, the more appalled I am. This team certainly has it's offensive questions. I thought Ponder looked shaky and the receivers were god-awful, but as you pointed out, the TE's, offensive line, and RB's didn't look that bad and Ponder was facing one of the NFL's better defenses from last year on the road, so I'll give the offense a pass.

But the defense... I haven't seen a defensive performance that weak in a long time. The Vikings were just physically manhandled up front, and the secondary players took angles that made me question whether they have ever played at the pro level. I mean, taking a bad angle on Brandon Jacobsen? Really??? I didn't know that was even possible, but "Miss-It-All" Raymond managed to do it. It was amazing to watch.

I think Harbaugh should complain to the league and make sure he gets preseason opponents who actually field NFL-caliber players. What the Vikings put out there were Division II college players for the most part. Downright awful and Frazier should be crapping his pants right now and/or get his golden boys who sat out suited up for the next contest so they might not embarrass themselves again.
I agree for the most part. I thought Ponder was fine. He was a little late on a couple of throws and was a little behind the receiver on 1 or 2 others, but basically had two scoring drives (our only points). I might be inclined to pick at him more, but after watching the defense (or lack thereof) there are bigger fish to fry. Our first string offense looks to be fine (inasmuch as anyone can offer an accurate assessment after olnly two series), but with the 1st string defense looking the way it did, the offense will need to be better than "fine" if the Vikes want to win some games this year.

It's way too early to proclaim the "sky is falling" but I'm keeping my eye on it, nonetheless....
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Just Me wrote:I agree for the most part. I thought Ponder was fine. He was a little late on a couple of throws and was a little behind the receiver on 1 or 2 others, but basically had two scoring drives (our only points).
I thought he looked very good. His throws weren't perfect but he looked calm and confident and he was playing smart, moving the team. I'd like to see fewer drops by receivers and the offense needs to do a better job of finishing drives withTDs but two possessions and two scores is good work.

The first string defense looked awful but that's not the first string defense we'll see on the field next month when the games count so hopefully, they won't be nearly as bad as they looked against SF.

The team clearly lacks depth but that's typical of a team in the relatively early stages of a rebuilding process.

Bring on the Bills!
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote: I thought he looked very good. His throws weren't perfect but he looked calm and confident and he was playing smart, moving the team. I'd like to see fewer drops by receivers and the offense needs to do a better job of finishing drives with TDs but two possessions and two scores is good work.
I agree with both of you that Ponder looked fine. Quite honestly, I don't care about perfect throws. If the ball hits the receiver in his hands, then it should be caught.

OTOH, now that's something that does concern me because the receivers were dropping passes. I was surprised at Michael Jenkins, who I thought looked awkward on the field. Maybe the timing just isn't there yet, I don't know because it's just the first preseason game.

I'll be glad when the first 3 games are over during regular season. This team is going to need both Harvin and Simpson playing, plus TE Rudolph, if they want to advance the ball through the air. And yes, I think both Harvin and Simpson are going to be playmakers for this team.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

when AP comes back it should be alot more interesting. :wake
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:Just watched the game. God was it painful.

I didn't see really any positives other than maybe Audie Cole. The 1st team offense looked ok I guess too.
They had a 52 yard completion on their first drive. That must qualify as a positive.

The Vikes rookie kicker hit two field goals. There's another.

You just have to look for them! :)

Frankly, unless the Vikes blow a team out, I find most preseason games painful. I watch them because I'm a football junkie and because they offer a first glimpse at the team after a long offseason. However, they couldn't be more meaningless and they're a lousy indicator of how teams and players will actually perform when it counts.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

The Walsh kid definitely has a leg... his kickoffs were things of beauty after watching Shortwell struggle to get it to the 5 yd line all these years. :rock:
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Rave Reviews for Kalil
Rave reviews

Top draft pick Matt Kalil held up well enough on Friday that Frazier raised his name unprompted when asked about the play of the offensive line.

"I liked some things that Matt did," Frazier said. "He's played with a lot of confidence. They have some guys who can come off the edge."

The 49ers played without All-Pro defensive tackle Justin Smith and lost another key starter, outside linebacker Aldon Smith, to a hip injury shortly after he provided Kalil's one obvious rookie moment.

That came on third-and-7, with Smith beating Kalil around the edge to pressure Christian Ponder into a throwaway that forced the Vikings to settle for the first of their two field goals in the starters' two series.

Ponder, who completed 4 of 9 passes for 80 yards, called the protection "outstanding" and pointed out he had enough time to get to his third read on a 52-yard completion to Stephen Burton. He wasn't sacked in 11 designed passing plays.

"I think that's a big statement for Matt Kalil to come in in his first game as a rookie and starting against a great defense," Ponder said. "They all did extremely well, but yeah, it's exciting to see Matt coming in and do well."
http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Note ... ings081112
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

GBFavreFan wrote: I'm afraid you're right about Webb. The one opportunity he had the past year or two is probably gone. I don't see a NFL team giving him a shot and he simply hasn't improved enough as a Viking. That's too bad. If its a mental thing he'll probably light up the UFL or CFL where the pressure will be off. But you do bring up a valid point about backing up Ponder, Sage is too old and Webb isn't backup material. From my POV Ponder started out well last season and just lost it by the end. Be it lack of focus, being overwhelmed, I don't know, but the Ponder that started the first few games was better than December Ponder. he's starting out solidly, but to me the question is if he can maintain that or if he's going to drop off at mid-season. If he drops again, than I think the Vikings should look elsewhere or find a new way to motivate him.

Does the fact that he got injured (hip pointer) playing with one the worst pass protecting lines in the NFL, losing AD, having crappy wide receivers have any bearing on his decline in your opinion? It certainly does in mine. He was running for his life on most passing plays and most any other QB would have been sacked many more times. His great scrambling ability not only saved the team from even more sacks but more often than not he ran for good yardage and several first downs. I also do not see motivation as an issue. He seems fired up, ready to play and lead this team.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.