Vikings QB Christian Ponder on the draft: 'This is my team'

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Vikings QB Christian Ponder on the draft: 'This is my te

Post by dead_poet »

Great signs. Fitz' camps are notoriously difficult. And packing on more muscle can't be a bad thing.
Christian Ponder said he's not concerned about Harvin. Just talked to him today about throwing in Florida before training camp. #Vikings
Ponder also plans to attend Larry Fitz's workouts at the "U" next month after coming off vacation. Now weighs 233, up from 212 nine wks ago
Tom Pelissero on Twitter
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

That's a lot of weight to put on in a little more than 2 months. I hope it's good weight, one of Ponder's best attributes is his scrambling ability.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

So much for competition:
Coach Leslie Frazier clarified this week that Joe Webb will not push Christian Ponder for the starting job this summer.

Frazier suggested the opposite immediately after the season when Webb flashed while filling in for an injured Ponder. "If something were to happen to Christian because of injury, we feel like we have a capable backup in Joe," Frazier said Thursday. "But there's no competition as to, 'Joe has to do this to beat out Christian.' Christian, it's his job."

Source: Fox Sports North
FWIW, I think this is a smart decision. You give your 1st rounder the reps and don't feign a competition that Ponder might not be the starter next year.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

I don't exactly think that's news. Not on a rebuilding team trying to build a workable offense. They need to have Ponder starting, both to develop him and to determine whether or not he's going to be their QB of the future. If he fails badly, they won't put in Joe Webb. Instead, they'll start making plans to draft another QB.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Eli wrote:I don't exactly think that's news.
Well up until this point, the Vikings have never said Ponder was the starter. In fact, the Vikings alluded to a training camp competition several times at the end of last season.
The Vikings’ 33-26 victory over the Redskins put Minnesota (3-12) out of the running for the No. 1 pick in next year’s draft. That makes it difficult to envision a scenario where the Vikings end up with Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck. So will Ponder be the No. 1 guy next season, or is Webb convincing the Vikings that he has the tools to start full-time? Asked if Webb has earned the right to compete for the starting job, coach Leslie Frazier left the door open. Webb was also 1-1 as a starter last season.
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2 ... -of-future
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

That was written December 26th. I'm sure it was before Leslie Frazier was told that they were going to completely rebuild the team. The scenario is a lot different today, with no question about what the upcoming season is about. Ponder's growth is a top priority, probably the most important thing that the Vikings need to achieve this year if they want to be competitive in coming years.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Eli wrote:That was written December 26th. I'm sure it was before Leslie Frazier was told that they were going to completely rebuild the team. The scenario is a lot different today, with no question about what the upcoming season is about. Ponder's growth is a top priority, probably the most important thing that the Vikings need to achieve this year if they want to be competitive in coming years.
They were 3-12 with one game to play when that was written. You honestly believe the coaching staff didn't see a full rebuilding coming at that point?
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

S197 wrote:They were 3-12 with one game to play when that was written. You honestly believe the coaching staff didn't see a full rebuilding coming at that point?
At that point Frazier was still part of the 'triangle' and probably was thinking that Joe Webb might compete for the job next year. But it's Rick Spielman's team now and there's no doubt that they've talked extensively about what needs to be accomplished this year with the players that Frazier is given. I don't think he could start Joe Webb if he wanted to.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Spielman is in charge of acquiring personnel but so far as the depth chart is concerned, I've always assumed that was still Frazier's call. Although the quasi-GM role Spielman holds clouds everything.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

ponder stinks, did anyone think that was the reason percy might have been upset in the first place? maybe he is on the inside and knows what we will all see come this fall, that ponder is not the long term answer at qb.
smoothoperator
Transition Player

Post by smoothoperator »

considering harvin had the second most receptions after week 10 in the league behind only roddy white last year, i highly doubt it.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

mosscarter wrote:ponder stinks, did anyone think that was the reason percy might have been upset in the first place? maybe he is on the inside and knows what we will all see come this fall, that ponder is not the long term answer at qb.
I highly doubt it. I don't think Ponder has played enough to say the he stinks. Even Peyton Mannings first season was horrific.

AND NO I AM NOT COMPARING HIM TO MANNING.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote: I highly doubt it. I don't think Ponder has played enough to say the he stinks. Even Peyton Mannings first season was horrific.

AND NO I AM NOT COMPARING HIM TO MANNING.
Too late! You said "Manning". You think Ponder is the next Peyton Manning don't you? I'm appalled. ;)
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

What I expect from Ponder is a quatum leap from last year. With a full training camp, an improved line and upgraded receivers, the sky is the limit. This kid is a good mobile athelete, who is extemely cerebral and seems to be gifted with some leadership qualities. He appears to be eager to learn and seems to be determined on being successful.
He reminds me of Drew Brees except he is bigger (2 inches taller and 15 lbs. heavier) with the same type of arm strength and enthusiasm.
If he turns out to be the QB that I believe him to be he will be the franchize QB that this team has needed for many many years.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

To those questioning if Ponder's weight gain was the right kind of weight...
A weighty subject

Christian Ponder has gone from about 212 pounds last March to 233 pounds this summer, but Frazier said he approves of the quarterback's weight gain.

"We were (pleased)," Frazier said. "What he did with his muscle to fat ratio, he put on muscle he didn't put on fat. You're looking at a guy that actually has a lean body mass that's less than it was when he was 215, 220. He's put on the right kind of weight and that's what you want. You want lean muscle and that's what he's done."

Frazier made it clear on the final day of minicamp that Ponder would arrive in Mankato as the Vikings' starting quarterback and that there would be no open competition for the job with either Joe Webb or Sage Rosenfels.

Spielman, of course, also is on board with this.

"I think it's very strong that when you have a young quarterback and you see how he's progressed from day one of OTAs to where he's at right now and how that chemistry on that offense is built," Spielman said, "I think when you give that quarterback that confidence - the confidence that he's showing right now and the confidence that he's built - that, 'You are our guy and we expect you to take over this team and lead this team,' that's the best way we felt to bring the young quarterback along."
http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Zulg ... tion062512
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly