MRI confirms torn ACL for Adrian Peterson

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: MRI confirms torn ACL for Adrian Peterson

Post by vikeinmontana »

wow. wouldn't expect anything less i guess. great for him. love it. :rock:
i'm ready for a beer.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

At least Sugarman sounds like he's not totally gung-ho on throwing him out there day one. Hopefully they give it as much time as it needs to heal fully...and then some.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

i'm worried. Culpepper, Keith Millard, Terrell Davis, Jamal Anderson, Cadillac Williams , Robert Edwards, who all had similar injuries in there prime were never the same. :confused: i would rather see him come back in october or november than taking a chance.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

hibbingviking wrote:i'm worried.
EVERYONE is worried. Very very few players are the same after such an injury, all the doctors, trainers, hard work and PR notwithstanding. It's not a matter of if or when he'll coming back from the injury. He will be back. The question is whether or not he'll ever be Adrian Peterson again.
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

hibbingviking wrote:i'm worried. Culpepper, Keith Millard, Terrell Davis, Jamal Anderson, Cadillac Williams , Robert Edwards, who all had similar injuries in there prime were never the same. :confused: i would rather see him come back in october or november than taking a chance.
I am too, but with those other guys, don't forget that the medical technology is better now that it was 5/10/20 years ago.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

glg wrote: I am too, but with those other guys, don't forget that the medical technology is better now that it was 5/10/20 years ago.
:thumbsup:
hope they dont rush him back. vikings really need two rb's to share duties instead of running adrian 99% of the time. :confused:
CalVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CalVike »

hibbingviking wrote: :thumbsup:
hope they dont rush him back. vikings really need two rb's to share duties instead of running adrian 99% of the time. :confused:
I like what Eric Sugarman has been saying on this matter. It's unlikely IMHO that he will be allowed to rush back for Game 1.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

ESPN1500 guys said on a chat today that they think he'll be put on the PUP list to keep him from overexerting himself too fast/too early, giving them more time to evaluate and him more time to recover. Would probably be for his own good, but I'm guessing he'd fight that tooth-and-nail.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

GBFavreFan wrote:First off Culpepper was a fat slob and half the stress on his knees was supporting all that blubber which is why whales live in the ocean not in the Metrodome.
Are you serious? Culpepper was a tremendous athlete and he wasn't injured because he was putting stress on his knees, he was injured because he was making an athletic play and he received a tremendous shot directly to his knee from the side.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

dead_poet wrote:ESPN1500 guys said on a chat today that they think he'll be put on the PUP list to keep him from overexerting himself too fast/too early, giving them more time to evaluate and him more time to recover. Would probably be for his own good, but I'm guessing he'd fight that tooth-and-nail.
would that keep him out of action until week 5? forget how that works.
i'm ready for a beer.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

i'm ready for a beer.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

dead_poet wrote:ESPN1500 guys said on a chat today that they think he'll be put on the PUP list to keep him from overexerting himself too fast/too early, giving them more time to evaluate and him more time to recover. Would probably be for his own good, but I'm guessing he'd fight that tooth-and-nail.
good idea imo. give gerhart more reps. better to be safe THAN SORRY. peterson is a different kind of runner. he likes to cut, and use his power. :smilevike:
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

GBFavreFan wrote: First off Culpepper was a fat slob and half the stress on his knees was supporting all that blubber which is why whales live in the ocean not in the Metrodome. Terrell Davis' injury happened in a different era of medical injury, and Edwards was way more severe and he was older as I recall than AD. And I'm not so sure how Jamal was affected, his injury happened close to the end of his contract, in the 90's, and he was basically written off immeidately and no one wanted him. And the other important thing to remember is how Adrian Peterson is a better pure athlete than any of these guys.

The reports and videos of his rehab are meant to dispute the idea that he'll return as an average RB. If he can look this good so many months ahead of a mortal man's schedule, than the odds are pretty good of a full recovery. This is his unbelievable athleticism, medical/rehab technology and advancements, and his utter and complete focused motivation to rehab. When AD puts his mind to something it happens. Remember when he focused on fixing his fumbles after the 2009 season? I can't even remember him fumbling since then? When he has his mind set on something he gets it done. That all being said I would hold him back a couple weeks just in case. Then again if he's too amped up he might break something else on his first run. They should wean him in during the preseason on second thought. But I am not worried or concerned about AD being a lesser player upon his return. Not at all.
I am tired of people ripping on Duante. Duante at one point and time was an elite QB. It is unfortunate what happened to him. Looking back on it, it is no surprise that Duante struggled during 2005. He had a new offensive coordinator, no running game, a suspect defense, and most importantly, he just loss Moss. Moss not only was Duante's favorite target, the threat of Moss benefited our offense immensely because it opened the field up for other players. I really wish Duante never had that gruesome injury.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

you spell daunte funny....

:wink:

but i agree with everything you said. the guy was a stud and FAR from a fat slob. :roll:
i'm ready for a beer.
Vikefan68
Transition Player

Post by Vikefan68 »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:I am tired of people ripping on Duante. Duante at one point and time was an elite QB. It is unfortunate what happened to him. Looking back on it, it is no surprise that Duante struggled during 2005. He had a new offensive coordinator, no running game, a suspect defense, and most importantly, he just loss Moss. Moss not only was Duante's favorite target, the threat of Moss benefited our offense immensely because it opened the field up for other players. I really wish Duante never had that gruesome injury.

Agreed. I think we as fans are too quick to forget how servicable or good some players were/are. As fans it is all about what have you done lately, which is too bad but is what it is.