How many wins this year

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

radar55
All Pro Elite Player

How many wins this year

Post by radar55 »

The draft is now over and I doubt our roster will change too much between now and Sept so......based on free agency (or lack there of) and the draft, how do you think the team will do this year?

I'm looking at a 5 - 11 season that plays out like this.....

We start the season with wins against Jax and Indy then go on a 5 game losing streak. We then get wins against tampa and seattle and go on another 5 game losing streak. We get a win against St. Louis and finish the year with losses to Houston and Green Bay. I believe the team has improved and while we will be competative this year, I dont believe we have improved enough to win against G.B., Detoit or Chicago.

I hope I am wrong but, thats the way I see it.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Re: How many wins this year

Post by Eli »

Pretty early to predict. The linebackers could still see some significant changes. More importantly, I'd really like to see who some of the starters on the offensive line and in the secondary will be. Right now I'm feeling 6-8 wins.

On the (very?) optimistic end of the scale:

Code: Select all

01  Sun, Sep 09  Jacksonville Jaguars    W
02  Sun, Sep 16  @ Indiannapolis Colts   W
03  Sun, Sep 23  San Francisco 49ers     L
04  Sun, Sep 30  @ Detroit Lions         L
05  Sun, Oct 07  Tennessee Titans        L
06  Sun, Oct 14  @ Washington Redskins   W
07  Sun, Oct 21  Arizona Cardinals       L
08  Thu, Oct 25  Tampa Bay Buccaneers    W
09  Sun, Nov 04  @ Seattle Seahawks      W
10  Sun, Nov 11  Detroit Lions           W
11  Bye
12  Sun, Nov 25  @ Chicago Bears         L
13  Sun, Dec 02  @ Green Bay Packers     L
14  Sun, Dec 09  Chicago Bears           W
15  Sun, Dec 16  @ St. Louis Rams        W
16  Sun, Dec 23  @ Houston Texans        L
17  Sun, Dec 30  Green Bay Packers       L
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Code: Select all

01  Sun, Sep 09  Jacksonville Jaguars    W
02  Sun, Sep 16  @ Indiannapolis Colts   W
03  Sun, Sep 23  San Francisco 49ers     L
04  Sun, Sep 30  @ Detroit Lions         L
05  Sun, Oct 07  Tennessee Titans        W
06  Sun, Oct 14  @ Washington Redskins   W
07  Sun, Oct 21  Arizona Cardinals       W
08  Thu, Oct 25  Tampa Bay Buccaneers    W
09  Sun, Nov 04  @ Seattle Seahawks      W
10  Sun, Nov 11  Detroit Lions           W
11  Bye
12  Sun, Nov 25  @ Chicago Bears         L
13  Sun, Dec 02  @ Green Bay Packers     L
14  Sun, Dec 09  Chicago Bears           W
15  Sun, Dec 16  @ St. Louis Rams        W
16  Sun, Dec 23  @ Houston Texans        L
17  Sun, Dec 30  Green Bay Packers       L
10-6 looks pretty reasonable to me, probably not enough to win the division though dropping both games to green bay. Hopefully sneak in as a wild card!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

I'll say 6-10, although that could go up or down a couple of games in either direction. I'll be stunned if they finish above .500 (but pleasantly stunned!).

Jim
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Mothman wrote:I'll say 6-10, although that could go up or down a couple of games in either direction.
6-10, plus or minus a couple of games? So somewhere between 4-12 and 12-4? :)
Greg
Career Elite Player

Post by Greg »

4-12
2W at home
2W on road
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

I think 5 or 6 wins is where the Vikings will end up. Baby steps forward, but at least it's forward. If Ponder improves enough with a full offseason and OTAs, I'd be willing to bump that prediction by a couple wins.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Eli wrote: 6-10, plus or minus a couple of games? So somewhere between 4-12 and 12-4? :)

LOL! No between 4-12 and 8-8...

... but I'd be happy with 12-4. :)
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

You never know how that schedule is going to pan out. Teams that should be pushovers could turn into Titans and teams that should be elite compared to us could be pushovers. Injuries can happen, momentum can happen. All have baring.

IMO, 6-10 wins is within the realm of possibility, but what is most likely depends on injuries and other unpredictables. I think less than 7 wins and Frasier is going to be on the coaching hotseat. He needs to show significant improvement this year or the calls of Les Steckel will be deafening. FWIW, I think he can do it.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Too many intangibles. If the Vikings are playing with backups for the backups like their D did last season, then it's going to be bleak. If everyone stays healthy, I'd say 5 or 6 wins sounds about right.

BTW, I'm not sure what version of Adrian Peterson we'll see next season. It's hard to believe he'll be as quick and agile as normal throughout the entire year. I imagine it will take AD a few games to get up to speed.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

4-12 after a strong 2-0 start.
MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by MrPurplenGold »

Everything right now depends on ponders development and the health of the team. The only real difficult game I see outside of the division is San Francisco, all of the other games seem winnable. Inter-division I think we lose both to Green bay and Detroit and split one with Chicago;; that's 10-6 but we could easily go 6-12. If ponder doesn't make significant strides and the team gets hit with the injury bug they could easily be 4-12
viking_guy
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by viking_guy »

I would not be surprised if the Vikings have between 8 and 10 wins.
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

Looking at the schedule I'd like to make a fools prediction. My heart tells me we could shock everyone and win 10 games or so starting 9-0. And then win one more game against the Rams. However, considering the state of the organization and the fact that we are rebuilding, I realistically see us winning 6 games. WIth these wins coming against the Jags, Colts, Titans, Redskins, Seahawks, and Rams. This will be another difficult season to watch with the team blowing games they had every opportunity to win. I look forward to my head being wrong and for us to have a winning season, but I just don't see it as possible just yet.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

simple. you are what your record says. ya we had close games last year. who cares? we lost 13 games and won 3. you can say we were a 5 win team at least. i'll stick with the fact that we were a 3 win team. yes, injuries hurt us. injuries are part of the game. all teams have them. the teams that still win games are those with the most depth. did we increase our depth? time will tell. our schedule is much easier this year...i'll give you that. but i really don't think predicting 5 wins this season is all that crazy. :confused:
i'm ready for a beer.