MRI confirms torn ACL for Adrian Peterson

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Eli
Hall of Famer

Re: MRI confirms torn ACL for Adrian Peterson

Post by Eli »

Yes, it was. Frazier was just saying that Peterson is itching to run fast.

I don't think anyone is particularly worried about whether he'll have 4.4 speed again. Speed wasn't Peterson's greatest asset. It was his cutting ability, which will take a modern medical miracle to be restored.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Woot! :rock:

Adrian Peterson - RB - Vikings

One month after beginning dryland running, Adrian Peterson (ACL, MCL, meniscus surgery) finished first in wind sprints with teammates this week.

"I remember (backup quarterback) Joe Webb saying, 'I can't believe it. I just can't believe it,'" coach Leslie Frazier said. "So, he's doing great and we're optimistic that he's going to be ready for that first game." While Peterson confirmed once again that he's a true freak of nature just four months removed from surgery, the big tell will be how he fares once he begins to cut laterally.
Source: ESPN 1500 Twin Cities
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

dead_poet wrote:Woot! :rock:

One month after beginning dryland running, Adrian Peterson (ACL, MCL, meniscus surgery) finished first in wind sprints with teammates this week.

"I remember (backup quarterback) Joe Webb saying, 'I can't believe it. I just can't believe it,'" coach Leslie Frazier said. "So, he's doing great and we're optimistic that he's going to be ready for that first game." While Peterson confirmed once again that he's a true freak of nature just four months removed from surgery, the big tell will be how he fares once he begins to cut laterally.
I really hope he's listening to the doctors and not pushing it too hard. A guy like him wanting to come back too quickly can end up hurting himself worse.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Spielman was just on Mike and Mike and he said Peterson has started moving laterally too (I can't remember if he said "cutting" so I'm hedging my bets with "moving").
CalVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CalVike »

glg wrote:I really hope he's listening to the doctors and not pushing it too hard. A guy like him wanting to come back too quickly can end up hurting himself worse.
Totally agree. AD is in real danger of pushing his recovery far too fast.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

CalVike wrote: Totally agree. AD is in real danger of pushing his recovery far too fast.
I understand the concern but none of us are in a position to make that kind of determination.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

dead_poet wrote:Woot! :rock:

Unreal. We are very fortunate to have a player such as Adrian.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

glg wrote:I really hope he's listening to the doctors and not pushing it too hard. A guy like him wanting to come back too quickly can end up hurting himself worse.
I was listening to that interview with Frazier and he mentioned that Sugarman was on the sidelines with AD when he decided to do the sprints so hopefully they're keeping a close watch on him and reining him in when necessary.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

What a beast!
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

glg wrote: I really hope he's listening to the doctors and not pushing it too hard. A guy like him wanting to come back too quickly can end up hurting himself worse.
This has been my main concern the whole time. The closer he gets to feeling good the closer they'll have to watch him.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

I had an ACL reconstruction in the 90's (no, I'm not in my 90's yet... Maybe by then the Vikes will have won the big one). My doctors had a very specific set of exercises to do (and things to not do) and they checked on progress (on the looseness of my knee joint) fairly regularly. I can only assume Peterson is getting better advice from better doctors and full time care, rather than my weekly visits. I was playing soccer with a brace in six months. Rod Woodson played after four months, IIRC. So I'm guessing we are talking about a legitimate fast recovery for AD.

The really dangerous time (IIRC) is about six weeks after surgery, before the blood flow is completely reconnected, and the graft is weakest. They wouldn't let me do anything but stationary bike at that time. He has made it past that point. I assume he'll wear a brace for a while, which will probably prevent another ACL tear, but he could still be subject to torsional damage to the meniscus if he tries too hard before he recreates his muscle tone that provides most of the knee support.
CalVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CalVike »

Mothman wrote: I understand the concern but none of us are in a position to make that kind of determination.
I am not trying to judge where he is today per se. My concern is that he has stated a target of Week 1 and I am not sure making it an 8 month recovery is medically sound. Regardless of whether he is medically cleared Week 1, I hope he and his medical team go conservative and that he sits far longer especially given the team is likely 8-8 at best. No need at all for him to play early is the way I see it.

One final point: I do have confidence the Vikings trainers in consultation with the surgeon who did the procedure will design the best possible rehab for him and only clear him when they feel he is medically ready. I know it is unreasonable on some level to advocate extra delay, I just feel more time is in order because this game is football and a normal football move or a cut could be the end for him so I prefer extra caution is justified.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

dude's a freak. he'll be making cuts in no time. silly.
i'm ready for a beer.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

vikeinmontana wrote:dude's a freak. he'll be making cuts in no time. silly.
Word is he's starting to cut this week.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly