Twins 2012

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Twins 2012

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Kind of a sombering article about Justin Morneau by Souhan this morning. I wish him the best in his recovery from concussions.
Justin Morneau spoke on Friday morning in Fort Myers, and if you get past the usual optimism that every athlete offers when dealing with injuries, the news was not good.
Asked if he's contemplated his concussion symptoms ending his career, Morneau said:
`` Well, I don’t think there will be a career if it’s something I’m dealing with,’’ he said. ``That’s the reality of the whole thing. I’m obviously not going to continue to mess around with this if it continues to be a problem. There comes a point where you can only torture yourself for so long.
``It’s something I love to do but you keep preparing and you keep being left out, that’s something that nobody wants to go through . obviously it’s been a tough winter that way. I try not to think about that kind of stuff. Obviously it’s crossed my mind and it’s something I’ve had to think about but when that stuff comes into my mind I continue to look for something positive, and look how far I’ve come in the last week or in the last month and just hope it continues to go well.''
Morneau used the word ``torture'' when speaking about what he's gone through. He also said he's lost some weight. He's dieted to reduce the stress on his body, and he looks skinnier than the guy who was the AL MVP not so long ago.
My reaction, having spoken with Morneau and re-read the transcription of his interview: This spring might be his last attempt to prove to himself that he can still play baseball.
La Velle and I will have more later in the day on startribune.com, and in tomorrow morning's paper.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
purple guy
Hall of Famer

Re: Twins 2012

Post by purple guy »

I bet he is done. As he should be if he is still having symptoms, nothing to mess around with. If he still feels this way at the begining of spring training, imagine one the grind starts or heaven forbit he takes another hit to the head. Its unfortunate, but I cant help but think his playing days are pretty close to over.
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

More bad news: http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/ ... ght-elbow/

As if the bullpen situation wasn't bad enough... :wallbang:
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

HornedMessiah wrote:More bad news: http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/ ... ght-elbow/

As if the bullpen situation wasn't bad enough... :wallbang:

If he wouldn't try to throw 800mph on every pitch he probably could have had a better career.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

It's just funny that the guy injured his arm and ended his season on his first throwing session of the year. Everyone knew the guy was a huge injury risk and that he would likely miss big chunks of time during the season, but damn I don't think anyone saw this coming. Now the team looks even dumber for not adding more arms to the bullpen.
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

So ya, the Twins stink just like everyone knew they would. Getting swept by Baltimore to open the season does not bode well for the rest of the summer. Now I read today that Baker is getting surgery and is shut down for the year, which pretty much means his Twins career is over.

This team is gonna look a lot different in a couple years. Pavano, Liriano and Baker will all be gone after this season. Guys like Span and Valencia could be traded (maybe more too, Morneau?) Basically the entire squad needs to get blown up and everything built up again around Mauer.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

entertaining game last night. got down, went up, got down, went up....

wish we could get some bats going like that every night! i love the makeup of this team....but don't think it's translating into a lot of wins. that said....we are .03% through the season, so i'm going to hold off on getting too discouraged just yet. :lol:
i'm ready for a beer.
viking_guy
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by viking_guy »

I think this is going to be a disappointing season for Twins fans. Target Field is great, they said with all the new stadium revenues that payroll is going to be higher ie. better players, but in the off season they don't want to spend the $$ and keep 3 of the best players on the team.. for about the same money I would much rather see Michael Cuddyer than Josh Willingham. Kubel and Nathan should have been resigned too. I am kinda fed up with the Twins as an organization. I would think that 2 years after getting the stadium they have been looking for for a decade they would do more to improve the team. I, for one, would trade half of the division titles they won ( maybe more ) for 1 world series. They talk the talk, but didn't walk the walk.

That being said, I still watch and root for them.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

another fun watch so far. down 6-0 and we battle back. 6-6 right now. this would be good for some momentum. :thumbsup:
i'm ready for a beer.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

twins win 10-9!

mauer and morneau both go yard. way to keep fighting twins. :rock:
i'm ready for a beer.
Axne1
Waterboy

Post by Axne1 »

Morneau is back!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

viking_guy wrote:I think this is going to be a disappointing season for Twins fans. Target Field is great, they said with all the new stadium revenues that payroll is going to be higher ie. better players, but in the off season they don't want to spend the $$ and keep 3 of the best players on the team.. for about the same money I would much rather see Michael Cuddyer than Josh Willingham. Kubel and Nathan should have been resigned too. I am kinda fed up with the Twins as an organization. I would think that 2 years after getting the stadium they have been looking for for a decade they would do more to improve the team. I, for one, would trade half of the division titles they won ( maybe more ) for 1 world series. They talk the talk, but didn't walk the walk.

That being said, I still watch and root for them.
kinda surprised to read this. i was very excited to see us aquire willingham and thought he was a pretty big upgrade. he's playing better than anyone on the roster and if i'm not mistaken was the american league player of the week. i think he's going to be VERY good for this team. gonna be a long season overall i think.... :(
i'm ready for a beer.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

vikeinmontana wrote: kinda surprised to read this. i was very excited to see us aquire willingham and thought he was a pretty big upgrade. he's playing better than anyone on the roster and if i'm not mistaken was the american league player of the week. i think he's going to be VERY good for this team. gonna be a long season overall i think.... :(
I would tather have seen them keep Kubel over Cuddyer. The only real advantage Cuddy had is he was a good clubhouse guy.
viking_guy
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by viking_guy »

don't get me wrong, Willingham is playing great, but I would rather have Cuddyer. He can play many positions. And with all the injuries the twins seem to have, having a guy on roster who can fill in anywhere is huge.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

ya that's true. good to see justin getting back to form. i kind of expected is i always felt that the reason he was sidelined for so long is because we were being really cautious with him as we weren't going to win games anyway. some took that as a sign that his concussions were just terrible and his career might be over and i always thought that was a stretch. they really took their time with him...and this is a totally different team with him and mauer healthy.

so far good game tonight too. :rock:
i'm ready for a beer.