Twins 2011

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

purple guy
Hall of Famer

Re: Twins 2011

Post by purple guy »

HornedMessiah wrote:On Common's show on KFAN today, Dark Star said there's more going on with Mauer's health than what's being told to the media. Something is wrong with him beyond "general soreness" and "bilateral leg weakness". You may read that and say "Well, no ####", but Mr. Dark Star made it seem like it's something fairly serious and that the team will reveal in time. The sooner the better, put an end to the speculation and crap.

This has only been an issue with Mauer for the past year, so it's a little premature to slap him with the "soft" tag. Now that he's got a fat contract and the team is playing like crap, it seems like everyone is eager to rip into him.

And as far as being a leader, I don't think Joe ever asked to be one. Some guys have the personality types to be a leader, some don't. Just because he's the local guy with a big contract doesn't mean he's gotta be the team leader.

Convenient. If he actually has a health issue, my bad. Ill retract my comments, til then, he deserves some criticism for production vs investment IMO. If that were true, and the team was sitting on some serious health issue, I doubt the guttless Guardy would have told him to "be available" the other day when he had a sore neck. Guardy had the closest thing to balls he ever had in an interview, saing how much of a "gamer" Cuddy is, and saying Mauer needs to be available if needed, IF Mauer had a serious health issue, Guardy wouldnt do that IMO.

And as far as him not being a leader, if he is paid like the face of the franchise and gets top player league wide money, like it or not, he needs to be a leader. If he doesnt know how to lead, he needs to watch Cuddy and freaking learn. "Superstars" need to learn to lead when the chips are down, not just when their team is winning. Do you think Mauer would have wanted to sit out last season when they were fighting for a post season birth??? No, but since they suck this season, he can sit out whenever a boo boo flares up.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

In al fairness to Mauer, and by no means am I standing up for him or anything, but there may very well be something more serious wrong with him, although I hope not. I keep reading Lyme's Disease in places, but I don't know enough about that disease to say if it is a legitimate possibility.
And if there is something wrong, why not come out and say it now when the criticism of him is at feverish levels. I don't know why they would wait. There is nothing to play for this season, so if he does need recovery time, SIT HIM FOR THE REST OF THE SEASON, and for God's sake TELL US WHAT IS GOING ON. This secretive crap gets no one no where.
With all that said, I will be so upset if Cuddyer is not resigned. As much as I like Kubel, Cuddyer has proven to me this season that for him it is all about the game and he will do anything for the team.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

it's been a crappy year for the twins and all of us for sure. very frustrating to watch. but i told myself a long time ago that i would never allow myself to call a guy out on injuries. i have no idea how these guys bodies feel, and it wouldn't be right.

i had an injury my junior year in college that really put it in perspective. it was a tendon in my hip and the pain was pretty significant. i played the weekend before and agrivated my hip the first day back at practice. as far as the "fans" were concerned, i looked fine the last time they saw me. but i wasn't an idiot. i heard everything said about me. i read the messageboards which i shouldn't have. people were calling me soft. saying my schollie should be pulled. meanwhile, i had to have my roommates help put my pants on because i couldn't bend over and could barely lift my leg. i wanted to be out there more than anything. i have yet to meet an athlete that i thought didn't want to be playing.

i'm giving mauer he benefit of the doubt as i do all athletes with injuries. more information would be nice....but he doesn't owe me more information. i just hope whatever it is can be fixed, and he can come back and play next year like he has EVERY year of his caree up until this season.
i'm ready for a beer.
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

PurpleMustReign wrote:With all that said, I will be so upset if Cuddyer is not resigned. As much as I like Kubel, Cuddyer has proven to me this season that for him it is all about the game and he will do anything for the team.
I agree 1000%. Cuddy should be everyone's favorite current Twins player, without question. The guy is a stud and it sucked that he couldn't play last weekend against the Yankees when I was at those games. He definitely wanted to be out there, he was standing at the rail for the entire game both Saturday AND Sunday. The guy loves to play and it shows.

I would never stop vomiting if he went to Boston or New York *spit*. You can bet those teams are salivating at the chance to back up a dump truck full of money at his doorstep.

Last I heard, the Twins aren't budging from their 2 year $16 million offer. WTF?!?! If Cuddy leaves the team because we lowballed him, then Bill Smith deserves to have his head placed on a pike atop Target Field. Actually, that would be too good for him. Put his head on the ground in the bathroom so people can spit & pee on it.
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

PurpleMustReign wrote:And if there is something wrong, why not come out and say it now when the criticism of him is at feverish levels. I don't know why they would wait. There is nothing to play for this season, so if he does need recovery time, SIT HIM FOR THE REST OF THE SEASON, and for God's sake TELL US WHAT IS GOING ON. This secretive crap gets no one no where.
Agree 100%. If there's some seriously wrong, why is he still playing? This year is done, and with them dumping Kubel and Thome, Bill Smith admitted it. So if there's something wrong, shut him down.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

OMG look at this lineup for tonight:

Twins (58-83)

1. Joe Benson, CF
2. Trevor Plouffe, SS
3. Joe Mauer, DH
4. Danny Valencia, 3B
5. Chris Parmelee, 1B
6. Luke Hughes, 2B
7. Rene Tosoni, LF
8. Brian Dinkleman, RF
9. Rene Rivera, C

Pitching: Liam Hendricks, RHP

Is this a joke? And for God's sake, why is Mauer playing? If he couldn't play when his team neeed him, what the point of playing him now? Sit his lazy, weak #### and let someone else DH like, oh, Wally the Beerman.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
purple guy
Hall of Famer

Post by purple guy »

Kevin Slowey sucks. The Twins are 0-11 when he starts, WTH, get rid of him already, send Guardy with him. The Twins are unwatchable anymore. Mauer and Morneau have to be the most over rated, underperforming, dissappointing, "stars" in MLB this season. Whimpy and completely useless. The team is in shambles, so what do the Twins do, fore their farm team coach and pitching coach..................uh, how about holding Guardy and the GM accountable, they suck balls.
thatguy
Hall of Famer

Post by thatguy »

purple guy wrote:Kevin Slowey sucks. The Twins are 0-11 when he starts, WTH, get rid of him already, send Guardy with him. The Twins are unwatchable anymore. Mauer and Morneau have to be the most over rated, underperforming, dissappointing, "stars" in MLB this season. Whimpy and completely useless. The team is in shambles, so what do the Twins do, fore their farm team coach and pitching coach..................uh, how about holding Guardy and the GM accountable, they suck balls.
Blame all of the players for getting hurt too?
"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." ~Thucydides
purple guy
Hall of Famer

Post by purple guy »

thatguy wrote: Blame all of the players for getting hurt too?
For getting injured, no. For not playing when they have "sore muscles", yea. If its an injury, I dont blame blame them, if they cant play every time they get a boo boo, yea, I blame them. There have been several times this season when Mauer and Morneau didnt play cuz they were sore, it was reported as such. The last time Guardy actually said something to Mauer, and it made it to the press. Plus, this team was aweful this season before they could/should use the injury excuse.
Now its our time
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Now its our time »

I still don't think Morneau is healed from his concussion.
Look at ur sig,now back 2 mine,now back to yours,now back to mine

Sadly,yours isn't mine.But if you stopped posting and made this your sig,yours could look like mine.

Look down,back up,your on VMB reading the sig your sig can look like.I'm on a computer
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Now its our time wrote:I still don't think Morneau is healed from his concussion.

He should retire. If he's not healed yet (which I agree it appears he is not), then he probably never will be, and it would be stupid for him to keep playing.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Joe Mauer's Season Over

When did it start? :confused:
purple guy
Hall of Famer

Post by purple guy »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Joe Mauer's Season Over

When did it start? :confused:

I dont blame him for that. Season is over and he is sick. But like you said, he didnt really have much of a season, at all. Ill be interested to see what moves the Twins make int he offseason. I hope Guardy and the GM are gone, but I doubt that'll happen, they'll do the stupid thing and let guys like Cuddy go and keep the turds at the top. The Twins are as much of a mess as I can ever remember them being. Even the 2 supposed "faces of the franchise", in Mauer and Morneau have some serious issues right now. With Morneau obviously not recovered from his concussion form a season ago, he needs to contemplate retirement IMO. And Mauer gets too many boo boos and suffers muscle soreness to often. IDK, its a mess IMO.
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

purple guy wrote:I dont blame him for that. Season is over and he is sick.
I got pneumonia as a secondary infection (after flu) a year and a half ago. It sucked. Just exhausted even from sitting at my desk (at home) for like 4 hours. I can't even imagine trying to play ball with that.
purple guy
Hall of Famer

Post by purple guy »

glg wrote: I got pneumonia as a secondary infection (after flu) a year and a half ago. It sucked. Just exhausted even from sitting at my desk (at home) for like 4 hours. I can't even imagine trying to play ball with that.

I know. My son had it. Scary $hit IMO. People who have not had it or dont know someone who has, tend to under estimate its effect and danger to the person who has it. Its bad, bad stuff.