Cable vs. Dish vs. Direct TV

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

Which is your preference?

Direct TV
45%
DISH
20%
Cable
35%

Total votes: 20

dead_poet
Commissioner

Cable vs. Dish vs. Direct TV

Post by dead_poet »

Going to bite the bullet and get it for the first time in a long while (wife finally has a job and we finally own our own home). I'm gathering opinions. Currently our internet is running through a separate provider. Need some help ASAP as I'm hoping to get it installed on Wednesday.

What do you like and why? Have you had any issues with either? Your opinions are important. Thanks guys.
Last edited by dead_poet on Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Cable vs. Dish vs. Direct TV

Post by dead_poet »

Oh, I'm looking for:

-HD
-DVR (if it's not too expensive)
-Must be able to watch Vikings games (others necessities include ESPN, Comedy Central, History Channel). Would like the Big 10, Showtime, A&E but these aren't deal-breakers.

No more than three TVs. We already have a Dish on our roof, not that should weigh into anything. But it's there in case that would help cut costs.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
purple guy
Hall of Famer

Post by purple guy »

I have Dish Network, and dont like it honestly. Have a lot of channels, but a ton are shopping, cooking, church, music, insparational, crap crap crap. Im sure Direct TV is the same, but at least you can get NFL Sunday ticket, and I think right now, they are having a special where its free for a bit. I had internet through them for a while, SLOW and not cheap, dropped it.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

directv all the way. it is all i have ever used for pretty much the last 15 years. their customer support has always been great although it doesn't come up often. and the most important reason.....NFL Sunday Ticket my friend. I honestly can't imagine life without it. AND......i just saw on tv that if you sign up right now, your sunday ticket is FREE this year!

and no, i don't work for directv. :lol: i have just always been very impressed with their service. and if you are an nfl fan, there has never been a better time to sign up because i'm pretty sure i pay like $400 or so to get the ticket every year. :shock:

worth every penny though.
i'm ready for a beer.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

So far Direct TV is leading the way (that Sunday Ticket thing appears to be a nice special though will probably hook me this season and force me to keep it the rest of my life). I appreciate the input guys. Keep it coming.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

plus, and i fully admit this would benefit current directv users too but they also have that great referral program. anyone i refer gets $100 in credit but the new subscriber also gets $100! if directv is how you go pm me and i'll refer you to get us some extra credit. i've referred a couple other guys and the program is legit. best of luck.
i'm ready for a beer.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

vikeinmontana wrote:plus, and i fully admit this would benefit current directv users too but they also have that great referral program. anyone i refer gets $100 in credit but the new subscriber also gets $100! if directv is how you go pm me and i'll refer you to get us some extra credit. i've referred a couple other guys and the program is legit. best of luck.
Do it. Hurry
Duchene
Veteran

Post by Duchene »

Direct TV without a doubt. I just switched a few months ago from Dish and it is much better. I had a lot of problems with DISH over the past three years. The channel selection is the same really, but Dish consistently raises their bills without notifying you, will go out even in the slightest rain, and if you sign up for Direct TV right now you not only get all the Vikings games but also all NFL games with a great player tracker on the bottom of your screen for all your fantasy players. You will not be sad you made that choice.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Going Direct. With DVR and HD. Go big or go home, right? Thanks for the input guys.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

dead_poet wrote:Going Direct. With DVR and HD. Go big or go home, right? Thanks for the input guys.
great choice. i pm'd you again. sorry i totally forgot the link! best part is, i don't know how many receivers you're going with but all of them will get the ticket so you can have several tv's all on different games. it takes me a little time in the morning....but i prefer 3 tv's for my sunday viewing pleasure!!!!
i'm ready for a beer.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I've had all three.

Cable is cable. Nothing wonderful.

Switched from DirecTV standard-def to Dish hi-def about three years back, when we got our first hi-def TV. It was, without a doubt, the worst decision I ever could have made.

Biggest knock was that it just wasn't reliable. We experienced all kinds of outages, often on sunny summer days. Just ... gone, like a fart in the wind. Also, their technicians will use all kinds of crazy splitters and other nonsense to jury-rig your setup. When the DirecTV techs came to hook me up, they told me that they'd never get away with all the crap the Dish techs pulled. I'm serious, they used those cheapo splitters EVERYWHERE.

Bottom line: I paid a hefty fee to terminate my contract with Dish after only four months.

I've been back with DirecTV for 2.5 years now, and it's been nearly flawless. I can count the number of outages I've had on one hand. We don't lose signal except in the worst of storms ... in that case, I just switch to over-the-air to get weather reports.

You're definitely making the right decision going with DirecTV.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Directv did seem to have the better channel lineup overall. And NFL Network (which the cable company here doesn't carry). I just switched from Directv to cable mainly to get a contract-free price and the increased internet speed without any of the "bundle" stuff that's everywhere nowadays.

Never had HD/DVR with Directv since the costs seemed to all be upfront in terms of $XXX at signup for the receivers. Compared to the $XX monthly.
viking_guy
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by viking_guy »

i have had Dish for 6 years now, and see no reason to change. I do lose signal in storms from time to time, but I imagine it would happen with Directv as well. I compared package/price between Dish and Directv and for me Dish was the better option - more channels for less money. The NFL Sunday Ticket would be cool, but I wouldn't be able to watch all the games anyway, so for me that isn't a big factor.

Do yourself a favor and make a list of the channels you want, and the channels you need. compare and make an educated decision.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I used to love direct TV but internet through them is the problem

I have cable because of the awesome internet they have. I am going
to school online and have to have great internet.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
OJVIKE
Career Elite Player

Post by OJVIKE »

cable is it for me...it does go out during storms...had both sat.TV programs...direct and dish network and primestar(when it was in sevice).was hoping cable would get nfl sunday ticket...but direct tv has those rights for now!