Timberwolves

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Timberwolves

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I know there are not many of you that follow the NBA right now but I have some questions forthose of you who do.

1. Is Kurt Rambis that bad of a coach?

2. How do you fix the defense?

3. Is David Kahn the biggest moron ever?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Timberwolves

Post by vikeinmontana »

PurpleMustReign wrote:I know there are not many of you that follow the NBA right now but I have some questions forthose of you who do.

1. Is Kurt Rambis that bad of a coach?

2. How do you fix the defense?

3. Is David Kahn the biggest moron ever?
1. i think it's too early to tell. he was regarded around the league as one of th best assistants in the game for years so he is certainly knowledgeable. however, i think 1. and 2. work together because he is clearly not emphasizing defense. i understand that we are a young team, and i think we're still a few years from the playoffs. but even bad teams should be able to play defense and be prepared mentally. that debacle at the free throw line the other night against the heat shows how out of touch this team is. there is no excuse for that kind of play and in the end that falls on the coach. but phil jackson wouldn't be able to coach THIS team to many more wins this year i don't think. couple more years and i think they'll be an exciting team to watch.

3. i'm afraid so. :wallbang:
i'm ready for a beer.
TrenchGoon
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by TrenchGoon »

in response to the phil jackson comment, I'm not sure how good a coach that guy really is. he pretty much just goes to whatever team is the favorite to win a championship and coaches them. First Jordan, then Kobe. My impression is that guys like Jerry Sloan and Lenny Wilkens were great coaches. They always had well coached teams and were often competative with less talent.

I'll leave all my negative comments about the NBA off, and just leave it at that for today. 8)
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

TrenchGoon wrote:in response to the phil jackson comment, I'm not sure how good a coach that guy really is. he pretty much just goes to whatever team is the favorite to win a championship and coaches them. First Jordan, then Kobe. My impression is that guys like Jerry Sloan and Lenny Wilkens were great coaches. They always had well coached teams and were often competative with less talent.

I'll leave all my negative comments about the NBA off, and just leave it at that for today. 8)
ya that's one of those things that people can argue about forever, and there really isn't a right answer. people say belichick i a genius. others say it's cause he has tom brady. others say brady is only good because of the coach. some say jordan and kobe won all phil's rings for him. others point out that neither superstar won before phil got there.

some say coacing a team as talented as the lakers should be simple. others point out that coaching pro athletes is already difficult because of all the egos, and coaching a team with such superstar is actually more difficult.

i have no idea. but i know he's regarded as the best coach in the league, and he can coach anywhere he wants for about any amount he wants. all his players seem to respect him and think he's brilliant. they likely know far better than i.....
i'm ready for a beer.
TrenchGoon
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by TrenchGoon »

vikeinmontana wrote: ya that's one of those things that people can argue about forever, and there really isn't a right answer. people say belichick i a genius. others say it's cause he has tom brady. others say brady is only good because of the coach. some say jordan and kobe won all phil's rings for him. others point out that neither superstar won before phil got there.

some say coacing a team as talented as the lakers should be simple. others point out that coaching pro athletes is already difficult because of all the egos, and coaching a team with such superstar is actually more difficult.

i have no idea. but i know he's regarded as the best coach in the league, and he can coach anywhere he wants for about any amount he wants. all his players seem to respect him and think he's brilliant. they likely know far better than i.....
those are fair points and interesting arguments. I'd still take sloan over jackson in a locker room brawl though! :wink:
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

TrenchGoon wrote: those are fair points and interesting arguments. I'd still take sloan over jackson in a locker room brawl though! :wink:
me too. i love sloan and i was sad to see him basically get ran out of town after doing so much for the jazz. but he doesn't put up with crap and when he gets players that refuse to listen, he walked away. i got the upmost respect for that dude.
i'm ready for a beer.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

What an ulgy season. Again, I will ive Rambis one more season, although IMO he should be on a short leash. I can't imagine a team as young as the Wolves being too successful no matter what "Scheme" the coach teaches. I do think his offense is too complicated and that he needs to practice defensw more.
I would love to see the Wolves draft Kemba Walker. That guy is a beast. He carried UCONN to the NCAA title almost on his own. I woul dlove to see Walker and Rubio on the court for the wolves. Johnny Flynn isn't going to make it, IMO, at lesat not with the Wolves and Rambis' system.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

PurpleMustReign wrote:What an ulgy season. Again, I will ive Rambis one more season, although IMO he should be on a short leash. I can't imagine a team as young as the Wolves being too successful no matter what "Scheme" the coach teaches. I do think his offense is too complicated and that he needs to practice defensw more.
I would love to see the Wolves draft Kemba Walker. That guy is a beast. He carried UCONN to the NCAA title almost on his own. I woul dlove to see Walker and Rubio on the court for the wolves. Johnny Flynn isn't going to make it, IMO, at lesat not with the Wolves and Rambis' system.
I blame Kahn a lot more than Rambis for this mess. He picks 2 PG with consecutive picks in Flynn and Rubio and gets squat out of it.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6617479

Interesting, Rubio is coming to Minnesota...
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Well, well, well... Can Rubio save the Wolves?

http://www.nba.com/timberwolves/news/fe ... 06_14.html

I still think they need a veteran big-man. I am actually looking forward to seeing Rubio in the Wolves jersey next season.
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Well, well, well... Can Rubio save the Wolves?
Wow, that's a ludicrous whitewash of the last two years. Saying it's been beneficial for him to play in Spain in any way other than financial (his buyout is lower) is BS.
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Well, well, well... Can Rubio save the Wolves?
No. Everything I've read about Rubio is that he's a distributor and that's it; guy can't shoot or play D or anything else. Just passing. The Wolves need more than an elite passer to turn into a contender. Plus, apparently he had a bad year in Spain. I know I can't be the only person who thinks Rubio is going to be a massive disappointment. Highly doubtful that he meats the expectations that have built up over the last couple of years since he was drafted. There will be the "he's still young" argument for a while, but that can only last for a few years. Then he'll go to a bigger market team and turn into a star, because he'll have talent around him.

And if this team wasn't enough of a joke, there's the whole thing in the news now about Kahn giving Rambis a homework assignment to write a paper on what he would do with the team if he returned for a third year. Write a paper? How about they sit down and talk face-to-face like men instead of Rambis handing his essay to schoolmaster Kahn?

Kahn is a failure. All he's done in his time with the team is take them from being "one of the worst teams in the NBA" to the "THE worst team in the NBA".
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

HornedMessiah wrote: No. Everything I've read about Rubio is that he's a distributor and that's it; guy can't shoot or play D or anything else. Just passing. The Wolves need more than an elite passer to turn into a contender. Plus, apparently he had a bad year in Spain. I know I can't be the only person who thinks Rubio is going to be a massive disappointment. Highly doubtful that he meats the expectations that have built up over the last couple of years since he was drafted. There will be the "he's still young" argument for a while, but that can only last for a few years. Then he'll go to a bigger market team and turn into a star, because he'll have talent around him.

And if this team wasn't enough of a joke, there's the whole thing in the news now about Kahn giving Rambis a homework assignment to write a paper on what he would do with the team if he returned for a third year. Write a paper? How about they sit down and talk face-to-face like men instead of Rambis handing his essay to schoolmaster Kahn?

Kahn is a failure. All he's done in his time with the team is take them from being "one of the worst teams in the NBA" to the "THE worst team in the NBA".
One of the jobs of a point guard is to distribute the ball and make everyone else better. The highlights I saw of him seemed to indicate that he is capable of doing that. We will see, but I am excited to see what he can do in the NBA.
As for Kahn, I wish Taylor would fire this moron. Why are Minnesota Sports Owners so reluctant to fire morons?
TrenchGoon
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by TrenchGoon »

HornedMessiah wrote: No. Everything I've read about Rubio is that he's a distributor and that's it; guy can't shoot or play D or anything else. Just passing. The Wolves need more than an elite passer to turn into a contender. Plus, apparently he had a bad year in Spain. I know I can't be the only person who thinks Rubio is going to be a massive disappointment. Highly doubtful that he meats the expectations that have built up over the last couple of years since he was drafted. There will be the "he's still young" argument for a while, but that can only last for a few years. Then he'll go to a bigger market team and turn into a star, because he'll have talent around him.

He's going to find those expectations, grab a hold of them, and smack the #### of them with a big old steak. He's gonna meat those expectations like expectations have never been meated before!!!

HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

TrenchGoon wrote:He's going to find those expectations, grab a hold of them, and smack the #### of them with a big old steak. He's gonna meat those expectations like expectations have never been meated before!!!
:confused: :spank:

Heard on ESPN radio today a rumor that the Lakers offered Pau Gasol to the TWolves for Kevin Love and the 2nd pick in the draft. Seems like a pretty crappy trade offer, for the TWolves that is.