How do you feel about Ponder as our QB?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

How do you feel about Christian Ponder as our QB

Excited. You are familiar with Ponder so you feel good about him.
11%
Excited. You don't know him that well but think he might have that "something" and/or you trust Spielman's track record in the 1st round.
15%
Good. You don't know a lot, but feel Musgrave and Frazier will mold him into a top guy.
21%
Lukewarm. You are familiar with Ponder so feel things could go either way.
11%
Completely neutral and without judgment. Are able to emotionally detach yourself from the most important position on our team.
11%
Lukewarm. The more you find out makes you less and less excited about his play and durability.
1%
Inconsequential. Injuries, circumstance, free agency, or the play of Webb will keep Ponder's playing time minimal so he'll never become our "guy" anyway.
1%
Disappointed. Wished we picked somebody else and need time to get over it.
15%
Upset. Feel things won't work out with Ponder and it'll take several seasons before we finally move on to someone else.
14%

Total votes: 73

BGM
Hall of Famer

Re: How do you feel about Ponder as our QB?

Post by BGM »

VikingLord wrote: If they were such sure things, why were both still on the board at #12? Why did Amukamara drop to #19?

I don't think any of us can know what the guys who evaluate players for a living know about these guys. Fairly had one great season in college. One. Even then, he showed only flashes. IMHO, he might resemble Sapp when he's trying, but there were plenty of times when it didn't seem like he was trying too hard. That might change with the Lions, or it might not. Fairly's pattern strikes me as the classic NFL player who is up for free agency and in his final year with a team he dominates, then gets the big contract and declines. With Fairly I think that is more likely to happen then we're going to see him consistently dominate. And quite honestly, I'd rather not have another Ray Edwards on the defensive line.
From what I've seen Jake Locker is the white, QB version of Percy Harvin, except in Locker's case he's a slower runner and thrower instead of a runner and catcher. He's got a long way's to go to unlearn his propensity to use his legs to make plays, as well as learn to set up properly (and consistently) to deliver the ball where he wants it to go. That was a significant problem for him every year he was in college, and it's likely to continue in the pros.
I, of course, do not have a magic ball (wish I did!) or the ability to truly analyze players like the professionals (wish I could!). This is all opinion, as you know.

I am sure Fairley dropped a bit thanks to some of the issues you mentioned. However, pairing him with a guy liek Kevin Williams (or like Suh) can only help him be a productive player. All the pieces are in place for the kid to succeed and would have been in place with the Vikes as well. If it's a motivation issue then that comes down to the psychology of coaching and, personally, for some reason I have faith in Frazier in that department.

Amukamara dropped primarily because of his speed. Some fear he doesn't have the speed to keep up with the burners in the league. But, he has the smarts to make sure he is in the right position to make a play and that makes up in a big way for any shortcomings in the speed department.

As for Locker, he was the ONLY thing going for Washington and he was required to do everything and anything to help the team. He had terrible protection and that's why he had to rely on his legs too often. I don't think it will be hard for him to scale that back. People rag on his accuracy, but he was making most of his throws on the run. He has solid mechanics and fundamentals and the only issue is plugging him into a system that works to his strengths. I think he really has an opportunity to be a great QB.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

BGM wrote:The more I consider the Vikings picking up Ponder at #12, the more upset I become. Yes, maybe Ponder ends up being the guy. However, the argument that he has as good a chance as any other QB in the draft just doesn't wash with me. It makes little sense to take a shot at a "crap shoot" position like QB, when there were two or three amazing players who would have made an immediate and positive impact at other positions of need for the Vikings.
I understand your concerns but couldn't the same thing be said every year? It's always going to be a crap shoot, at QB and every other position. Like you said, no one is a sure thing but as Kevin Siefert is fond of pointing out, you can't hit a home run at QB if you never take a swing. If that swing is a miss they'll just have to swing again.

I guess what I'm saying is: if it didn't make sense to take a QB this year, when would it ever make sense?

Jim
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Anyone watching ESPN talk about Ponder can probably see it almost mirrors the reactions on this board. Dilfer hates the pick, had him rated ninth best QB, compares to Elvis Grbac, etc. Jaws likes the pick, calm in the pocket, smooth delivery, intelligent. Young doesn't hate the pick but questions the pick at #12. He even spoke with Musgrave pre-draft but didn't even think to ask him about Ponder.

So even the "experts" are on very different pages with this pick.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Mothman wrote: I understand your concerns but couldn't the same thing be said every year? It's always going to be a crap shoot, at QB and every other position. Like you said, no one is a sure thing but as Kevin Siefert is fond of pointing out, you can't hit a home run at QB if you never take a swing. If that swing is a miss they'll just have to swing again.

I guess what I'm saying is: if it didn't make sense to take a QB this year, when would it ever make sense?

Jim

Can't speak for BGM but for me it's in a year when there isn't a lock out, when we can have free agents, and in a year when we have more fire power (missing 3rd rounder!) if we need to move around more. For example if we had that 3rd rounder we probably have Gabbert at 10, instead of ponder at 12 and I'd feel BETTER about that. Who knows who will be the better QB, but i'd feel BETTER about it.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

So ... now that even Andy Dalton went before out pick in the 2nd does Ponder make a little more sense?

I feel like it does. Ponder probably wouldn't have make it past the Redskins.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

purple guy wrote:Im excited. Was it a reach??? Supposedly. Who cares. We need a QB. I have no idea if he'll work out, but at least its a viable option at QB for once. Those who "know" he is going to be a bust should really be working as a scout for an NFL team since they are such great and accurate talent evaluaters.

wow, Purple Guy and I agree. Instead of #### about the Pick now why not wait for a few games. Who else where we gonna Take at QB? Mallett maybe. I knew we were going QB no matter what because this team needed to do this 2-3 ago. Deal with it
purple guy
Hall of Famer

Post by purple guy »

Laserman wrote:
wow, Purple Guy and I agree. Instead of #### about the Pick now why not wait for a few games. Who else where we gonna Take at QB? Mallett maybe. I knew we were going QB no matter what because this team needed to do this 2-3 ago. Deal with it

Deal with it???? I said I liked the pick?
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

purple guy wrote:

Deal with it???? I said I liked the pick?
lmao ... you guys can't even agree properly
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

Cliff wrote:So ... now that even Andy Dalton went before out pick in the 2nd does Ponder make a little more sense?

I feel like it does. Ponder probably wouldn't have make it past the Redskins.
No, it doesn't for me. I saw very little difference between Mallett, Ponder, and Dalton, and I actually believe Kaepernick may end up being a better QB than any of the other QBs in the draft aside from Locker, who I believe is much better than many experts are willing to admit. Had the Vikings gone BPA in Round 1, at least one of those four would have been available in Round 2. Of course, I am not in the Vikings war room, but my guess is they had their eyes on Gabbert, Locker or Ponder, and the other guys, for one reason or another, were out of the running. Everything out of Winter Park indicates they were up on Ponder, but I just hope it was for the right reasons.

Bottom line, I am not sold on Ponder. I didn't like him being picked so high, there was better talent on the board at other need positions, I have serious concerns about his durability, I do like the fact he has a soft touch, but his lack of range troubles me. And with his speed and height, is Sidney Rice going to be relegated to catching mid-range stuff? We know Harvin is a good target for mid-range throws and has a knack of getting YAC. Adding Rudolph indicates to me that they are going to try and build an offensive scheme around the kids abilities, which bodes well.

I don't know, it just... I have a nagging feeling this was the wrong guy at the wrong time. I hope I am wrong (and if history is any indication I probably am!) Maybe it is just the amount of talent the Vikings passed over to draft him. To be honest, in my mind, I think he will HAVE to become the QB of the future for the Vikes for this move to sit well with me.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Mothman wrote: I understand your concerns but couldn't the same thing be said every year? It's always going to be a crap shoot, at QB and every other position. Like you said, no one is a sure thing but as Kevin Siefert is fond of pointing out, you can't hit a home run at QB if you never take a swing. If that swing is a miss they'll just have to swing again.

Jim
No. It can't be said every year! The Falcons addressed their need...but swinging at a slowball going right down the middle of the plate. The Lions, Rams, Ravens, Broncos...did the same. We just flailed away at a sinker in the dirt....when we should have left the bat on our shoulder.

And we KEEP doing it. People want us to get our QB of the future, address the position, you don't do that by FORCING a second tier talent into that position! We've waited until it was a full count...and bunted, repeatedly. Favre, Moon, Johnson, on and on. Bunts. Now we're in a terrible position, FLAIL! Strike three, your out.

Time to wait for our next at bat....and this time do it right. When would it make sense? When we have the ability to trade up to get a top flight quarterback. When we are in a position to draft a top flight quarterback. When a top flight quarterback drops to us. NOT when their are multiple players higher on our board, NOT when there is a run on quarterbacks that leave us forced to reach.

Hopefully the next front office and coach decide to do it right, lucky for us there will be a rookie cap as well in four years when Frazier and Spielman get there walking papers, Ponder is just hitting free agency off of his rookie deal and his below average performance at quarterback...and we're opening up a new stadium!
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

Jim
It would have made sense in the second round, considering the talent pool in this year's draft. Had there been three QBs who were far and away the pick of the litter and then a bunch of dregs aside from that, then sure, you have to pull the trigger. But, I did not feel that way about this group. For me, Locker was the best prospect, then close behind him the group of Gabbert, Kaepernick, Mallett, Dalton, and Ponder. One of those last five was sure to make it to pick 43, IMO. Any of those guys at 43 would have made sense to me. Ponder at 12 does not.

Obviously, my views on these guys do not line up with the Vikings' assessments, so I should have some faith in their choice. It just pained me to see some really top notch talent fall to other teams because the Vikings had a laser focus on QB.
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

Demi wrote:.

Hopefully the next front office and coach decide to do it right, lucky for us there will be a rookie cap as well in four years when Frazier and Spielman get there walking papers, Ponder is just hitting free agency off of his rookie deal and his below average performance at quarterback...and we're opening up a new stadium!
There is so much pessimism AND optimism in that sentence that I think you just blew my mind!
purple guy
Hall of Famer

Post by purple guy »

Thats quite an accurate and in depth crystal ball you have there Demi. You buy a Power Ball ticket for Saturday???? If youre able to know how Ponder is going to be at QB before stepping on the field, know the Vikings will be firing the current staff in 4 years, and a stadium will be ready to be open, would you mind giving me the numbers for tomorrow night so I can go see a few #### games Ponder will play this season?
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

purple guy wrote:Thats quite an accurate and in depth crystal ball you have there Demi. You buy a Power Ball ticket for Saturday???? If youre able to know how Ponder is going to be at QB before stepping on the field, know the Vikings will be firing the current staff in 4 years, and a stadium will be ready to be open, would you mind giving me the numbers for tomorrow night so I can go see a few #### games Ponder will play this season?
You don't need to have a crystal ball to see something this obvious...the Packers Bears and Lions have all passed the Vikings. The NFC has too many good teams. The Vikings are getting old. Combined with bringing in an average quarterback with a terribly low ceiling, we're not even going to get a wild card spot. Which means after four years Zygi is going to make a change.
Wild Thing
Veteran

Post by Wild Thing »

I'm just sick to my stomach... when I think of what high hopes I had yesterday morning, I feel like a fool for ever believing that this insane clown posse was going to find away not to screw this up. We went into this draft needing to replace Brett Favre, and somehow managed to find a way to replace Tarvaris Jackson instead.

Anyone read what Dilfer had to say about the kid today? He calls him the second coming of Elvis Grbac, and that was one of the most complimentary things he could come up with. I can't believe we basically took the #12 pick out into the parking lot and set fire to it. We went through all the misery of last season, and all we get in return is Christian Ponder???!?? Someone wake me up and tell me I was just having a nightmare.

I think it was Rich Gannon on the radio this morning who said it perfectly - "you see all these teams who were drafting quarterbacks? The reason they're drafting quarterbacks is because they need quarterbacks, and the reason they need quarterbacks is because they suck at drafting quarterbacks." You can't put it an better than that, IMO.