Twins 2011

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Twins 2011

Post by HornedMessiah »

I'm hella pumped for this season to start. Just bought tickets to two games against the Yankees in late August (a night and a day game). Can't wait to check out Target Field!

I haven't been following spring training super closely, but from what I've heard it seems like things are going pretty well? Morneau is back, Nathan is easing back into things, Nishioka seems like he'll do just fine, and Delmon Young is strong at the plate.

The starting rotation will be: Pavano, Liriano, Duensing, Blackburn, Baker. So Slowey lost out and will be used as a reliever. I read an article after Baker beat him out for the final spot and it said that Slowey might have attitude/personality issues that the Twins are growing tired of, and they might try to trade him for some relief pitching. Would probably be a good move, considering the amount of guys they lost.
purple guy
Hall of Famer

Post by purple guy »

^ Nathan is "easing into things" might be a polite way of putting his spring performance to date IMO. But, it will take time coming off that injury no doubt. But, I agree, all in all, its gone fairly well this spring. Now, lets see what happens the first 7 games, cuz its a tough opening and could be looking way up in the division early.
Vikingsfan4321
Starter

Post by Vikingsfan4321 »

I am so pumped for this twins season.

Nishioka is a great grab.
M&M are both slated to play in the first game of the season. I think this could be a very good year. Cuddyer in right worries me as far as defense goes but looking at our team over all I think we have a very good chance to have a very good season.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

Vikingsfan4321 wrote:I am so pumped for this twins season.

Nishioka is a great grab.
M&M are both slated to play in the first game of the season. I think this could be a very good year. Cuddyer in right worries me as far as defense goes but looking at our team over all I think we have a very good chance to have a very good season.
i'm with ya man. watched ball all day yesterday and today and i'm just ready to see the twins. got the steaks marinating, and the rest of the menu in the works! be cracking my first beer right after picking up the kids at school! here's to a 1-0 start this season! :beerock: :beerock: :beerock: :beerock: :beerock: :beerock:
i'm ready for a beer.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

And Gardenhire's dominance of the AL East continues!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
purple guy
Hall of Famer

Post by purple guy »

And the Twins dominating pitching is at it already. 8-0 at this point, PMR, 1-6 or 0-7 start seems very possible.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

purple guy wrote:And the Twins dominating pitching is at it already. 8-0 at this point, PMR, 1-6 or 0-7 start seems very possible.
I predicted 0-7, but I'm sure they'll win one in Toronto.
Thank God we didn't get a true Ace this offseason. We wouldn't want to win the World Series or anything.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
purple guy
Hall of Famer

Post by purple guy »

PurpleMustReign wrote: I predicted 0-7, but I'm sure they'll win one in Toronto.
Thank God we didn't get a true Ace this offseason. We wouldn't want to win the World Series or anything.

World Series??? Id be happy with a single playoff series. Winning our crappy division isnt really anything special. I dont think we'll win it this season tho. I think Guardy will have to go before the Twins will ever do anything but one and done in the playoffs.
purple guy
Hall of Famer

Post by purple guy »

Looking good again today are those mighty Twins.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

They need to get rid of Ron Gardenhire and Bill Smith. Gardenhire couldn't motivate a street gang to swipe a purse and Smith couldn't put together a team for a t-ball league. The Twins have so many holes. Young, Blackburn, Slowey, Tolbert, and Repko have no business in the Major Leagues. I would put Cuddyer in that list if he wasn't so valuable as Morneau's backup.
They have no starter who is worthy of the 1 or 2 spot. Carl Pavano and Liriano are decent 3 and 4, but when you look at the rest of the league's elite teams, they all have a pitcher who is a true Ace. We don't even have a #2.
purple guy
Hall of Famer

Post by purple guy »

PurpleMustReign wrote:They need to get rid of Ron Gardenhire and Bill Smith. Gardenhire couldn't motivate a street gang to swipe a purse and Smith couldn't put together a team for a t-ball league. The Twins have so many holes. Young, Blackburn, Slowey, Tolbert, and Repko have no business in the Major Leagues. I would put Cuddyer in that list if he wasn't so valuable as Morneau's backup.
They have no starter who is worthy of the 1 or 2 spot. Carl Pavano and Liriano are decent 3 and 4, but when you look at the rest of the league's elite teams, they all have a pitcher who is a true Ace. We don't even have a #2.

I agree. Guardy is terrible and the Twins pitching situation is as bad or worse than the Vikings QB situation. The difference, the Vikings "could" fix their problem with a single draft pick or a FA pick up, the Twins need several. Even with the Twins pitching, I would be surprised if they are somewhat competitive in a crappy, weak division, but nothing more. Gonna be a terrible year to be a MN pro sports fan, absolutely terrible.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

purple guy wrote:
I agree. Guardy is terrible and the Twins pitching situation is as bad or worse than the Vikings QB situation. The difference, the Vikings "could" fix their problem with a single draft pick or a FA pick up, the Twins need several. Even with the Twins pitching, I would be surprised if they are somewhat competitive in a crappy, weak division, but nothing more. Gonna be a terrible year to be a MN pro sports fan, absolutely terrible.
Actually, I think if the Twins had an ace, they would be ok. They should have gone after Oswalt or Lee when they had Ramos, but they were too greedy. There are other optons available (How long will Seattle keep King Felix with nothing to back him up?), and the Twins, if they are serious about being a good team and getting over the hump, need to do something, and it starts with the rotation, because it is almost comical.
purple guy
Hall of Famer

Post by purple guy »

^IDK, and ace would certainly help, a lot. But I think we need an ace and another decent #2 or #3 guy. Some of the current pitching problems could be Guardy and the pitching coach. The Twins will never get out of the 1st series of the playoffs with the staff they have, change is definately needed.
purple guy
Hall of Famer

Post by purple guy »

Any guesses on tonights game vs the Yanks?

Twins 3
Yanks 8
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

purple guy wrote:Any guesses on tonights game vs the Yanks?

Twins 3
Yanks 8

Well, you had the Twins score right. The Yankees probably stopped trying after the second inning just to make it somewhat competitive.