A thread to discuss the insane things Common Man says

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

A thread to discuss the insane things Common Man says

Post by NextQuestion »

"Greg Jennings? Seriously? I mean...he's ok. I bet if you gave me a Vikings jersey...I could cover Greg Jennings".
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
Demi
Commissioner

Re: A thread to discuss the insane things Common Man says

Post by Demi »

:lol:

I don't even get to listen to the first hour, some inane local twit talking about fargo high school sports. ooooh yay. And today? KFAN taken over by NDSU womens basketball. Gee, that'll pull in the ratings!
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

It's not like talking Vikings would pull in any ratings

::Cue KFAN's rimshot sample & and deep voice "I Always Love That One"::
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
Darkwing
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Darkwing »

Demi wrote::lol:

I don't even get to listen to the first hour, some inane local twit talking about fargo high school sports. ooooh yay. And today? KFAN taken over by NDSU womens basketball. Gee, that'll pull in the ratings!
The Dan Hammer Show has to be the worst idea The Fan up here has come up with. I literally get angry with my radio when I hop in the car at lunch time and hear his voice. :wallbang:
Darkwing
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Darkwing »

Demi - Heard on the radio today that Hammer is going back to TV (KVLY) and he starts on Monday. We may get that first hour of Common back as early as next week!
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Darkwing wrote:Demi - Heard on the radio today that Hammer is going back to TV (KVLY) and he starts on Monday. We may get that first hour of Common back as early as next week!
I heard that too! So happy. Hopefully they don't find some other yokel to waste an hour of the day on high school girls lacrosse or other nonsense.
Darkwing
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Darkwing »

Demi wrote: I heard that too! So happy. Hopefully they don't find some other yokel to waste an hour of the day on high school girls lacrosse or other nonsense.
Sorry to hijack this thread but it appears that Demi and my dreams are being dashed. From today's Fargo Forum

"Joel Heitkamp, operations manager for Radio Fargo-Moorhead, said the plan is to keep Hammer’s radio show local. Guest hosts will be used until a replacement can be found."
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Darkwing wrote: Sorry to hijack this thread but it appears that Demi and my dreams are being dashed. From today's Fargo Forum

"Joel Heitkamp, operations manager for Radio Fargo-Moorhead, said the plan is to keep Hammer’s radio show local. Guest hosts will be used until a replacement can be found."
Belongs in the bar anyway. ;)

Are the ratings really that much better? That crap leads directly to me changing the station. I can't be the only one. And they're going to stick with it? Gah, some of these small town clowns sure are full of it. "Durp, of course people want to hear about Fargo high school athletics..." despite broadcasting outside of the area. And even then who cares about frickin' fargo force? Oh right they carry the games. arg this pisses me off after getting my hopes up.

They moved the Dan Patrick show from 2-5 to 12-3 so maybe I'll just listen to that and forget KFAN entirely. :wallbang:
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

On today's show, he said that the Vikings should trade Peterson. His reasoning was that none of the final four teams this year have an "elite" RB on their rosters but they had elite QBs (well, Steelers and GB at least), therefore he thinks we should trade Peterson to get some ammo to land a franchise QB. ON TOP of that, he thought that we could MAYBE get a 1st rounder for him. :roll:

Sometimes it's hard to tell when he's joking around and just trying to stir the pot, but I think he meant it. Talk about a preposterous statement.
purple guy
Hall of Famer

Post by purple guy »

HornedMessiah wrote:On today's show, he said that the Vikings should trade Peterson. His reasoning was that none of the final four teams this year have an "elite" RB on their rosters but they had elite QBs (well, Steelers and GB at least), therefore he thinks we should trade Peterson to get some ammo to land a franchise QB. ON TOP of that, he thought that we could MAYBE get a 1st rounder for him. :roll:

Sometimes it's hard to tell when he's joking around and just trying to stir the pot, but I think he meant it. Talk about a preposterous statement.

There probably is not a QB in this draft worth AD. However, IF there was, Id be fine with it. AD is over rated IMO. He is good, but replaceable. Maybe a small step down when he gets replaced, but for a franchise QB, totally worth it IMO. Unfortunately, there is no QB worth it this year, and if there were, I doubt the Vikings would do it anyways. AD has to be one of the most over rated players in the league.
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

purple guy wrote:AD has to be one of the most over rated players in the league.
Are you talking about being overrated by the fans and the media, or other players and coaches? Because, seriously, the first two don't mean anything. You obviously have some issues regarding Peterson and that's fine, we all have players we like and don't like. I just don't see where he is overrated.

What matters is how coaches and players approach defending against him. Maybe you believe that they are buying into the hype as well, but all signs point to him being considered one of the best RBs in the NFL for good reason.

2010 RUSH 1,298 4.6 REC 36 341 9.5
2009 RUSH 1,383 4.4 REC 43 436 10.1
2008 RUSH 1,760 4.8 REC 21 125 6.0
2007 RUSH 1,341 5.6 REC 19 268 14.1

There is not a running back in the NFL over that time who has produced at such a consistently high level. And to think it came in Childress' funked-up offensive vision. I do wonder what his production would have been like with Tennessee or Kansas City.

Some quotes from this season:

“He’s always dangerous,” linebacker Lance Briggs said. “Adrian Peterson is one of the, if not the best back in the league. It’s not always a guarantee if you’re 1-on-1 with him that you’re going to bring him down. You have to have guys swarming around him. As long as we’ve got 11 guys flying to that ball, we give ourselves a chance to get him down.”

Read more: http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2010 ... z1DUSXMD8i

"We don't want to lose sight of him," [Jets] defensive coordinator Mike Pettine said. "It has always been our point of emphasis. If you can't stop the run, you're in trouble."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... z1DUSlWsjs

"He's the best back in the league," Rex Ryan said. "The thing that gets me (is) he runs every time like it's going to be the last carry of his life. He is so competitive. He's had some fumble issues in the past, but it's because he's fighting like crazy for extra yardage.

"One guy is not going to do the trick," Ryan said of tackling Peterson. "We've got to get a bunch of guys over there on him and hit him with everything we've got."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... z1DUSyyNMv

“He’s one of the hardest runners in the NFL. It doesn’t get any easier,” outside linebacker DeMarcus Ware said. “You’ve got to be ready for a guy like Adrian who can catch the ball out of the backfield, run the ball really hard. We’ve got to be physical and we’ve got to be physical up front, especially the front seven. That’s how we’ve always been.’’

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/ ... n-peterson

According to Profootballfocus.com, Peterson has forced more missed tackles (24) than any other running back in the league even though he's played one less game than most of them.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... z1DUV9EQZl
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

lol. maybe he is overrated by the coaches and players too. which is a shame but at least when you are overrated by them you know they are planning for you, and you know your numbers are pretty good when you still kill it. i don't know what is overrated or what isn't, but i think a good rule of thumb is that if your "down" season is still about 1300 yards....you're an ok back in my book. :lol:
i'm ready for a beer.
purple guy
Hall of Famer

Post by purple guy »

BGM wrote: Are you talking about being overrated by the fans and the media, or other players and coaches? Because, seriously, the first two don't mean anything. You obviously have some issues regarding Peterson and that's fine, we all have players we like and don't like. I just don't see where he is overrated.

What matters is how coaches and players approach defending against him. Maybe you believe that they are buying into the hype as well, but all signs point to him being considered one of the best RBs in the NFL for good reason.

2010 RUSH 1,298 4.6 REC 36 341 9.5
2009 RUSH 1,383 4.4 REC 43 436 10.1
2008 RUSH 1,760 4.8 REC 21 125 6.0
2007 RUSH 1,341 5.6 REC 19 268 14.1

There is not a running back in the NFL over that time who has produced at such a consistently high level. And to think it came in Childress' funked-up offensive vision. I do wonder what his production would have been like with Tennessee or Kansas City.

Some quotes from this season:

“He’s always dangerous,” linebacker Lance Briggs said. “Adrian Peterson is one of the, if not the best back in the league. It’s not always a guarantee if you’re 1-on-1 with him that you’re going to bring him down. You have to have guys swarming around him. As long as we’ve got 11 guys flying to that ball, we give ourselves a chance to get him down.”

Read more: http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2010 ... z1DUSXMD8i

"We don't want to lose sight of him," [Jets] defensive coordinator Mike Pettine said. "It has always been our point of emphasis. If you can't stop the run, you're in trouble."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... z1DUSlWsjs

"He's the best back in the league," Rex Ryan said. "The thing that gets me (is) he runs every time like it's going to be the last carry of his life. He is so competitive. He's had some fumble issues in the past, but it's because he's fighting like crazy for extra yardage.

"One guy is not going to do the trick," Ryan said of tackling Peterson. "We've got to get a bunch of guys over there on him and hit him with everything we've got."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... z1DUSyyNMv

“He’s one of the hardest runners in the NFL. It doesn’t get any easier,” outside linebacker DeMarcus Ware said. “You’ve got to be ready for a guy like Adrian who can catch the ball out of the backfield, run the ball really hard. We’ve got to be physical and we’ve got to be physical up front, especially the front seven. That’s how we’ve always been.’’

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/ ... n-peterson

According to Profootballfocus.com, Peterson has forced more missed tackles (24) than any other running back in the league even though he's played one less game than most of them.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... z1DUV9EQZl

He is good. And Im sure those players would have have made most of those quotes if they were interviewed/asked about CJ, A Foster, MJD, J Charles, Turner, R Rice, ect. Of course opposing D players are not going to give a good RB bulliten board material, doesnt mean much to me. Now, Im not saying he isnt good, he is. But he gets called maybe "one of the best ever", thats just plain stupid. He was 6th best in yards this season, usually has to come off on 3rd down becuase he cant figure out how to pass protect, and he usually comes up small in big places (see a few 4th and goals this season). Best ever, no way, he not even the best in the NFL currently. He is good, Im glad he is a Viking, but he is replaceable and to trade him for a franchise QB (even tho the draft is a crap shoot) would be a no brainer IMO, which was what I was responding to. The Vikings could find a RB that would fill his shoes, but without a QB, all ADs stats mean ####.
Now its our time
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Now its our time »

purple guy wrote:
He is good. And Im sure those players would have have made most of those quotes if they were interviewed/asked about CJ, A Foster, MJD, J Charles, Turner, R Rice, ect. Of course opposing D players are not going to give a good RB bulliten board material, doesnt mean much to me. Now, Im not saying he isnt good, he is. But he gets called maybe "one of the best ever", thats just plain stupid. He was 6th best in yards this season, usually has to come off on 3rd down becuase he cant figure out how to pass protect, and he usually comes up small in big places (see a few 4th and goals this season). Best ever, no way, he not even the best in the NFL currently. He is good, Im glad he is a Viking, but he is replaceable and to trade him for a franchise QB (even tho the draft is a crap shoot) would be a no brainer IMO, which was what I was responding to. The Vikings could find a RB that would fill his shoes, but without a QB, all ADs stats mean ####.
Hard to get a 4th and goal conversion when the line isn't getting any push. The broken tackles stat says it. AD has to break tackles to get a good run. All of those running backs you listed have a great OL. Better than the Vikings.
Look at ur sig,now back 2 mine,now back to yours,now back to mine

Sadly,yours isn't mine.But if you stopped posting and made this your sig,yours could look like mine.

Look down,back up,your on VMB reading the sig your sig can look like.I'm on a computer
purple guy
Hall of Famer

Post by purple guy »

And IF he wants to be mentioned in the same breath as some of the best ever, he needs to make those TDs, he needs to break tackles, he needs to be an every down back, ect. To date, he isnt IMO. He can be exciting, but he isnt alone in that ability. He is a good RB. Nothing more.