Stadium thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

glg
Site Admin

Re: Stadium thread

Post by glg »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote: I do remember Chicago playing at Illinois stadium a few years back when Soldier was being renovated, not sure how much bigger(or smaller) that is than TCF though.
~63k, which was a little less than old Soldier (~67k) and more than new (61.5k)

They managed to do a single season in Champaign, by starting right after the season finished one year and finishing just as the season started 2 years later (including the Bears not having a home game until week 4, 2 road games and a week 3 bye). Bears went 4-12 in that season in Champaign. The travel certainly hurt there (170 miles from Halas Hall in the northern suburbs to Champaign), and that wouldn't be a factor for the Vikes, where the distance from Winter Park to TCF is a whopping mile and a half more than the Dome.
CCthebest
Career Elite Player

Post by CCthebest »

I dont care if its indoor or outdoor, as long as its the Vikings stadium. There are good reasons for both. Its not going to be too much worse outdoors then Chicago or GB.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

glg wrote: Come on, this stuff ebbs and flows. For 360, yes, they played Soldier, and are scheduled to do so again next summer. Note that they're not playing the Dome when they come to MN as part of it, they're playing at TCF. Vertigo? UC (Target Center in MN). Elevation? UC (Target Center in MN).
Not really. You just can't make an outdoor stadium point about concerts because they get around it here in Chicago, where it's not as cold, but it's cold enough. Same with New York. Not as cold, but cold enough not to play outdoors in the winter and there is no enclosed stadium.

There are plenty of reasons to have an enclosed stadium. Rock concerts in the winter just isn't one of them.
I already conceded your point about rock concerts in the winter.

A retractable-roof stadium is a viable facility for year-round events. An outdoor stadium isn't. That's the point, so the point remains.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Hamburglar
Transition Player

Post by Hamburglar »

I doubt they'll make a purely outdoor stadium. They want to use it year round for other events. I'd guess either dome or a retractable roof, probably the latter.
thatguy
Hall of Famer

Post by thatguy »

Hamburglar wrote:I doubt they'll make a purely outdoor stadium. They want to use it year round for other events. I'd guess either dome or a retractable roof, probably the latter.
Retractable roof is really the only way that this things is gonna turn out with...
"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." ~Thucydides
OJVIKE
Career Elite Player

Post by OJVIKE »

let go back to the rebuilding the team...dont you want to know what kind of stadium your gunna get?? and get the players you need for that...i say outdoor is good for us....lets take the weather advantage away from the bears and pack....if we all play outside the the weather factor really isnt there.it is there if the other warm climate teams have to play here in late dec. early jan. i think an outdoor stadium has more advantages for us...forget about the multi use deal....build the outdoor staduim...its cheeper...we have plenty of other heated buildings to use for concerts,events,etc.lets get back to hard nosed viking football.after all "we come from the land of the ice and snow".
OJVIKE
Career Elite Player

Post by OJVIKE »

Hamburglar
Transition Player

Post by Hamburglar »

Vikings: We'll pay for a third of roofless stadium

http://www.startribune.com/politics/113 ... anchO7DiUr
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

i would love to see the vikings with an open stadium. they had such a huge homefield advantage in the 70's. great memories. :) but with an indoor stadium you can have concerts and other stuff year round. :confused:
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Does it seem to anyone else that maybe Zygi could be getting a little tight-fisted with his sudden show of enthusiasm for an open stadium? Maybe he's starting to realize that this NFL thing isn't a gold mine and that you can't just buy a championship in a couple of years and see a huge return on your money. If he's going to grow the value of this team before he sells it off then he has to watch his cash outlay, and paying for a dome isn't the way to do it.
Memento
Practice Squad

Post by Memento »

I just hope we get a new stadium period. I've worked in the Humpty as a concession worker for few years and no offense the Metrodome looks like a toliet.
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

Eli wrote:Does it seem to anyone else that maybe Zygi could be getting a little tight-fisted with his sudden show of enthusiasm for an open stadium? Maybe he's starting to realize that this NFL thing isn't a gold mine and that you can't just buy a championship in a couple of years and see a huge return on your money. If he's going to grow the value of this team before he sells it off then he has to watch his cash outlay, and paying for a dome isn't the way to do it.
Nope. 1/3 of an open air has been the Wilf's position pretty much since day 1.
thatguy
Hall of Famer

Post by thatguy »

Eli wrote:Does it seem to anyone else that maybe Zygi could be getting a little tight-fisted with his sudden show of enthusiasm for an open stadium? Maybe he's starting to realize that this NFL thing isn't a gold mine and that you can't just buy a championship in a couple of years and see a huge return on your money. If he's going to grow the value of this team before he sells it off then he has to watch his cash outlay, and paying for a dome isn't the way to do it.
lol uhh...if he sold the team right now, I think he'd make like $300 million off of it. It has been a pretty big "gold mine" for him thus far.
"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." ~Thucydides
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

thatguy wrote:lol uhh...if he sold the team right now, I think he'd make like $300 million off of it. It has been a pretty big "gold mine" for him thus far.
I'd be amazed if that's true with the current stadium situation.
purple guy
Hall of Famer

Post by purple guy »

I can see why the Vikings dont have a deal in place. They cant make up their mind on location or style of stadium. This stuff should have been in place long ago. Bagley seems to be in over his head. IDK, just seems they are a bit clueless for being this far into the sitaution.