XBOX or PS3?

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

Noxage
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: XBOX or PS3?

Post by Noxage »

Cliff wrote: If you're going to play online games and money isn't an object, ditch the consoles altogether and invest in a gaming rig. Aiming a FPS with a controller sucks : P
Can't disagree with that!
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Not to change the subject but for those who don't mind selling games after they finish them, I highly suggest pre-ordering from Amazon when they offer the $15-$20 game credit. This combined with trading games back in has resulted in me paying next to nothing for games anymore. This is basically what I do:

I'll pre-order Red Dead Redemption (for example) for $60, which gives me a $20 future game credit.
After I finish it, I sell it back for lets say $35.
Now I pre-order Medal of Honor, originally $60, it costs me $5! ($60 - $20 credit - $35 trade in = $5). And by pre-ordering, I get another $20 credit. Rinse and repeat.

Basically as long as you keep buying games that have that $20 credit, you can keep getting new games for almost free. I paid $1 for Halo Reach. ($20 credit + $39 for trading it back in)

The only major game this hasn't worked for was Call of Duty, but then I also get gift cards from Gamestop so that was free too (I can go into that as well if anyone cares). Granted the longer you keep the game, the lower the trade-in but you can still save yourself a bunch of cash. I should also mention Amazon gives free shipping BOTH ways. Also, trade-in prices fluctuate daily but Amazon gives you 1-week to postmark your trade-in. So basically you can lock your order in and keep checking over the next few days to see if the price goes up. If it stays the same, you could even cancel and re-enter the order and keep the game for another week.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

S197 wrote:Not to change the subject but for those who don't mind selling games after they finish them, I highly suggest pre-ordering from Amazon when they offer the $15-$20 game credit. This combined with trading games back in has resulted in me paying next to nothing for games anymore. This is basically what I do:

I'll pre-order Red Dead Redemption (for example) for $60, which gives me a $20 future game credit.
After I finish it, I sell it back for lets say $35.
Now I pre-order Medal of Honor, originally $60, it costs me $5! ($60 - $20 credit - $35 trade in = $5). And by pre-ordering, I get another $20 credit. Rinse and repeat.

Basically as long as you keep buying games that have that $20 credit, you can keep getting new games for almost free. I paid $1 for Halo Reach. ($20 credit + $39 for trading it back in)

The only major game this hasn't worked for was Call of Duty, but then I also get gift cards from Gamestop so that was free too (I can go into that as well if anyone cares). Granted the longer you keep the game, the lower the trade-in but you can still save yourself a bunch of cash. I should also mention Amazon gives free shipping BOTH ways. Also, trade-in prices fluctuate daily but Amazon gives you 1-week to postmark your trade-in. So basically you can lock your order in and keep checking over the next few days to see if the price goes up. If it stays the same, you could even cancel and re-enter the order and keep the game for another week.
That's a pretty good idea.

I no longer have a console of any kind, I just haven't had time to play so we sold the wii (which I wasn't a huge fan of anyway) ... but if I was to get a console I'd probably also get a subscription to game fly;

http://www.gamefly.com/

It's like netflix for video games. The only games I would buy would be something that has a lot of replay value. I found that I was playing a game all the way through and then not picking it back up so the rental idea was very appealing for me.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I thought about gamefly but I heard it's hard to get some of the more popular games. Plus it's nice having more than one game at a time, especially ones with a good multiplayer. Another good option though.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

S197 wrote:I thought about gamefly but I heard it's hard to get some of the more popular games. Plus it's nice having more than one game at a time, especially ones with a good multiplayer. Another good option though.
Yeah, I was just throwing it out there as an idea. I liked yours a lot too, especially if you're looking to build a big library.

You can have more than one game at a time with gamefly too though.

A friend of mine has gamefly (I never have had a subscription myself) and there are times when some of the more popular games aren't in stock. However, he gets around that problem the same way I do with netflix ... empty out my queue of everything except for one item so they can't default to your #2 choice. It seems to be an effective way around that problem.
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

Went with the PS3. Red Dead Redemption is pretty much incredible. Madden 11 is fun as well!
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
Hamburglar
Transition Player

Post by Hamburglar »

Nice, I've had mine for 3 years and can't complain, the Blu-ray and free online gaming/internet access won me over.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

BGM wrote:Went with the PS3. Red Dead Redemption is pretty much incredible. Madden 11 is fun as well!
Red Dead Redemption is a hell of a time and you should get the Undead Nightmare game add-on when you finish the story in the Red Dead.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Now its our time
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Now its our time »

I got a PS3 and i am very satisfied...NCAA 11 is beast!
Look at ur sig,now back 2 mine,now back to yours,now back to mine

Sadly,yours isn't mine.But if you stopped posting and made this your sig,yours could look like mine.

Look down,back up,your on VMB reading the sig your sig can look like.I'm on a computer
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

i grew up playing video games when they first came out. i play madden all the time on my xbox 360 no problems. i'm a huge madden fan but my son got me hooked on fallout 3. i'm not much into other games except for sports but fallout 3 is a fun never ending game. :)
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Fallout is a great game. I haven't tried New Vegas yet because I heard there are a ton of glitches. Mass Effect 2 is another really good one you can probably pick up used if you haven't played it.
NDVikeFan
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by NDVikeFan »

Quick question. If someone has a plasma TV does an Xbox 360 wreck it in anyway? Someone said if you play these new systems you have to have an LCD tv an not a plasma. Just curious if it was true.
Memento
Practice Squad

Post by Memento »

If u asked this question last 2 years ago Xbox or PS3 than no doubt get the 360 but nowadays PS3 imo has exceded the 360 and i agree pretty much with what everyone said about the PS3. I have both systems plus a Wii (stole all three) and PS3 is the one I play the most. I can't wait till MvC3 comes out.
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

NDVikeFan wrote:Quick question. If someone has a plasma TV does an Xbox 360 wreck it in anyway? Someone said if you play these new systems you have to have an LCD tv an not a plasma. Just curious if it was true.
I don't think an xbox would wreck a plasma, I think the plasmas just tend to have lower refresh rates than LCDs
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

Memento wrote: I have both systems plus a Wii (stole all three)
ummmm........

:confused:
i'm ready for a beer.