Do you think TheSaints purposely hit Favre with illegal hits

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Do you think The Saints purposely hit Favre with illegal hits?

Yes
77%
No
21%
You're a poor sport
2%

Total votes: 43

Lars
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Do you think TheSaints purposely hit Favre with illegal hits

Post by Lars »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Honestly you have to still talk 4 days after the game? Have fun losing in Miami.
I look forward to watching that. Instant Karma's gonna get you.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

Perhaps the wording of the poll is a bit of the contentious issue. The word "illegal" seems to carry a moral component. Think of this wording:
"Do you think the Saints were willing to live with a few personal foul calls on late hits in order to stay aggressive and physically intimidate Favre?" Would anyone say the answer to that question is "No"? Even Saints fans?

To be fair, the Vikes really tried to beat up Steve Young in the last game one year (1996?) to get him onto the bench and improve the chances of winning the division title. I don't remember any flags, but we had a great DL then (Thomas and Randle IIRC) and probably just needed to ignore the run and attack the QB, and that did the trick.

Under the current rules, this was pretty clearly the best Saints strategy to win the game, especially if they really are the pretenders that they appeared to be from this game (275 yard against our defense?!?). If Favre goes out with the ankle injury, the chance that TJack pulls this one out, coming in cold, is pretty minimal. I seem to have a lot more faith in TJ than anyone else here (I think he could have won the Dallas game), but that would have been a brutal situation.

This is where the "card" system in soccer makes sense. You commit a reckless penalty, you get a yellow card. Do it again, and you don't get to play anymore. "Intent to injure"? Immediate disqualification.

John
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

I think the saints defensive game plan was fine with taking a few 15 yard penalties to put Favre on the ground a few times. I don't see any thing wrong with that type of mentality though. This is the choice, and that's the consequence, it's up to the saint coaches to determine if it's worth it or not. From a Viking perspective we were able to keep drives alive and make some things happen because of those penalties.

By the way I just watched the "official review" video with Mike Pereira and he does admit that they missed another roughing the passer call on the shot Favre takes to the back of his knees when hes also engaged up high.

Anyway, this was the first NFL game in a long while where I thought "wow these guys are ####" (referring to the saints) not because they were so skilled of a pass rush, cause they didn't care if Favre got the throw or hand off, off. The Saints didn't show much respect.

Honestly, I was a little jealous, this is the PLAYOFFS and if you lose you go home. If they win a superbowl title because they were jerks then christ sign me up!!! I'd rather be in the big one and called dirty then sitting here calling the other team cheap.....
MikeCheck
All Pro Elite Player

Post by MikeCheck »

Our O-Line did a pretty good job of pass blocking, they can only do so much.
"Music is a great way to heal
and a safe place to feel,
trapped in this fake world
a gateway to real" - Shad
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

So, am I correct in that, if the roughing the passer is called, the interception is negated and the Vikinigs get the ball back. Or am I remembering the rule wrong? Because had they, that would have made it 1st and 10 at the 19.

Not that AP or someone else wouldn't have fumbled away anyway.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
BigMo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by BigMo »

You got that right! Mike Pereira, V.P. of NFL Officiating stated on NFL Network that it was a missed call! He also justified the Personal Foul on Hargrove who threw all of his weight onto Favre as he lifted him and planted him into the turf! He confirmed the inconclusive evidence to overturn the 4th and 1 play and the Meachem bobble of which I had no problem because their was no conclusive evidence to over rule either call! On the bobble by Meachem, he clearly stated that had the call been incomplete they would have also not over ruled it.

One play they did not discuss or even mention, despite dozens of Saints fans claiming otherwise, but who cannot locate the footage on NFL.com to support, is the PI call on Leber that got the Saints within FG range prior to the Meachem call! That was the one blown call in overtime that was inexcusable on the officiating crew who should all be suspended indefinitely pending additional training!

SKOL Colts! Kick that faux azz!

Knoxx
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Knoxx »

theberg-75 wrote:if you wanna play numbers, I'd say 4 so called illegal hits (according to you) out of the total 20 hits is proof enough that the point wasn't to cheapshot or hurt him

I'd say 4 questionable hits out of 20 is a rather GOOD percentage... when you have THAT MANY shot on the QB and that QB's fans only question 4 of them its sounds pretty nitpicky
I have no problem with the 16 clean hits. Good job that was within the rules. The way you break it down 20% of the hits were bad. That's pretty poor play from professional athletes. This is why some feel they were intentionally trying to hurt Farve. This is all a moot point though.

Your on here trying to tell us not to discuss it. It is a Viking issue we have every right to discuss it on a Viking board whether you agree with it or not. We'll move on when we're ready. Some of our members may still need time to vent. If they don't live in Minnesota this is the only place they have. I don't think they should be muzzled to make you feel better.
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

Raptorman wrote:So, am I correct in that, if the roughing the passer is called, the interception is negated and the Vikinigs get the ball back. Or am I remembering the rule wrong? Because had they, that would have made it 1st and 10 at the 19.

Not that AP or someone else wouldn't have fumbled away anyway.
You are correct, the INT would have been negated and that probably leads to at least a FG.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

glg wrote: You are correct, the INT would have been negated and that probably leads to at least a FG.
Damn, that's what I thought. :wallbang:
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
yonggium
Waterboy

Post by yonggium »

LegendsOfFootball wrote:I personally do, I think they were trying to get him out of the game so the game would be easier on their team. I felt that they really cheated doing that and it was sickening how they called a fumble on a play where the saints hit favre low and #### him up the rest of the game. I really hope Manning is prepared for these cheaters.

listen this is football not a beach OK??

you are suppose to hit and rattle the opposing QB. if you have problem with it then protect your QB which you couldn't//

Saints game planned it perfectly which is hit Favre as much as they can because if you do he will turn the ball over like he did 3 times. LOL
Puddin'Taine
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Puddin'Taine »

S197 wrote:Gee if our line could block anyone we wouldn't need to have this discussion in the first place. Time to start pointing fingers at the real problem, don'tcha think?

There is definitely blame to go around on our Oline, and to be honest id be even especially hard on our Olin eif Favre had been getting "sacked" or extremely hurried every play, but I find it hard lay blame on a line for (what seem obvious to me) "late" hits. not just 1 or 2 but 4 qtrs worth. Im bitter about the loss sure, but im not pinning the loss on this either, it's just dirty. and was weird to watch.
"He kept getting pies in the face and everyone thought it was so funny.I didn't think it was so funny.They should have eaten the pies instead of throwing them at each other If they were mad,why didn't they just knock the crap out of each other?"
Puddin'Taine
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Puddin'Taine »

yonggium wrote:
listen this is football not a beach OK??

you are suppose to hit and rattle the opposing QB. if you have problem with it then protect your QB which you couldn't//

Saints game planned it perfectly which is hit Favre as much as they can because if you do he will turn the ball over like he did 3 times. LOL
It's too bad they couldn't hit him while the ball was still in his hands. Then they'd be a D that played a really great game.
"He kept getting pies in the face and everyone thought it was so funny.I didn't think it was so funny.They should have eaten the pies instead of throwing them at each other If they were mad,why didn't they just knock the crap out of each other?"
Knoxx
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Knoxx »

iMacJohn wrote:http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-t ... ial-Review

Call were missed but illegal? No. The lift hit looked to be legal in regular speed but when they slow mode it it looked to have a little lift on the play but Like I said in real life how can anyone say that was an illegal hit. The hit was so hard that the momentum lifted Favre off his feet and the defender just wraps his arms around the QB.

The hit that came about 2 to 3 seconds after Favre handoff the ball could have gone either way. I truly believe the Referee thought Brett had the ball and was rolling out like he loves to do. I for one thought Brett Favre still had the ball too. Farve shouldn't have played it out so long. Once he handed off the ball he should have gotten out of the way. If he wants to pretend and get hit, its on him. Its a Judgement call.

The Brady rule call you all wanted was caused by your O-lineman pushing #93 Bobby McCray on the back of his back causing him to fall toward Brett Favre. If you watch, You can also see on that same play two offensive linemen holding #91 Will Smith. Yeah, the referees missed two calls on that play but it wasn't a personal foul call like you guys wanted. 2 penalties , holding and push to the back, which would have brought you back 10 yards.
The head of the refs said the Brady rule was ignored here and said it should have been a penalty on the Saints. He also said he was going to look into it. I believe that means if your team is going to try for alot of late hits on Peyton be prepared for it to rain yellow flags in Miami.
marty264
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by marty264 »

New Orleans defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, speaking earlier in the week on a Tennessee sports talk radio show, said the Saints will need to deliver some "remember me" shots on Manning and added, "you hope he doesn't get back up and play again" at Sun Life Stadium on Feb. 7th.

Asked if he was worried about the Saints getting penalties for late hits, Williams said, "If it happens, it happens. The only thing that you'd like for me to say is that if it happens, you hope that he doesn't get back up and play again."
http://www.indystar.com/article/2010012 ... on-Manning

Its becoming harder and harder for the Saints fans to argue their case.

The Brady rule call you all wanted was caused by your O-lineman pushing #93 Bobby McCray on the back of his back causing him to fall toward Brett Favre. If you watch, You can also see on that same play two offensive linemen holding #91 Will Smith. Yeah, the referees missed two calls on that play but it wasn't a personal foul call like you guys wanted. 2 penalties , holding and push to the back, which would have brought you back 10 yards.
Makes absolutely no difference. He was pushed about 5 yards away from Favre and made no conscious effort to avoid hitting him low. Holding could be called on almost, if not, every NFL down, so that is a weak argument as well. You wont convince us that the hit was clean, and I doubt you can convince yourself either.
DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by DanAS »

It's pretty clear that they cheated in the manner suggested by this thread's title. Does it sound like whining to say that? Sure. But sometimes, it's legit to kvetch (we Jews prefer that word to "whine"), and this is one of those times.

The Saints truly are coached to be dirty. And for that reason alone, I'm rooting big time for the gutless franchise that quietly left Baltimore in the middle of the night like a pack of sleazy rats. In other words, as much as it pains me to say it, Go Colts!