Do you think TheSaints purposely hit Favre with illegal hits

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Do you think The Saints purposely hit Favre with illegal hits?

Yes
77%
No
21%
You're a poor sport
2%

Total votes: 43

Knoxx
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Do you think TheSaints purposely hit Favre with illegal hits

Post by Knoxx »

theberg-75 wrote: again, i dont understand whats dirty about wanting to hit the QB? this is football right? not tiddlywinks... grow a set... maybe YOU should have gotten to Brees more often
Right here you admit the opposite of what you voted. Your trying to say they didn't mean to hurt him but they were going to hit him whether it was legal or not. You have to be a bandwagoning troll. I've been over the loss to the Saints about 15 mins after the game. I've been Viking fan too long to not be prepared for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.
It seems that you can't get over the lack of respect your team is getting with a victory that you need to keep coming here. You insist your classy, but you come off as a complete troll. State your opinion but don't try to piss on my leg and tell me it's rain. Myself and others on this board have pointed out that the fault was with our offensive line and coaching. Your posts come off as some one trying yo rub it in.
theberg-75
Starter

Post by theberg-75 »

Knoxx wrote: Right here you admit the opposite of what you voted. Your trying to say they didn't mean to hurt him but they were going to hit him whether it was legal or not.

i never said they were going to hit him legal or not... i said they were aiming to hit him, JUST LIKE ANY DEFENSE WANTS TO DO TO THE OPPOSING QB... not all QB hits are sacks, and not all non-sacks are illegal...

you people act like anytime Favre is breathed on its an illegal hit... i hate how soft this game has gotten... right now the people on this board are the definition of soft with the way they're portraying the way the game should be played

anything the Saints did illegaly they were called for, but just to say that they were intentionally TRYING to hurt favre is rediculous... they were trying to make him uncomfortable in the pocket not take him out of the game
Last edited by theberg-75 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BRING THE WOOD!!!! Who Dat?
marty264
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by marty264 »

theberg-75 wrote: anything the Saints did illegaly they were called for, but just to say that they were intentionally TRYING to hurt favre is rediculous... they were trying to make him uncomfortable in the pocket not take him out of the game
Except the hit below the knees, which doesn't count because its part of the sissy "Brady Rule."
Knoxx
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Knoxx »

Lets not forget the dead play hit either. My point is why are you in a thread like this if it upsets you other than trolling. We have other threads that address the draft , next season, whether we want Farve back, go into them. Why aren't you in the AD thread telling Viking fans to stop complaining about AD's fumbles all running backs fumble so deal with it. What happened on Sunday is a fact to be discussed. Viking fans will view things different than you don't be supprised. If you want people that share your view go to a Saints board. I just think it's funny and I can't help but feed the trolls. Here take a big bite it's filling :spam:
theberg-75
Starter

Post by theberg-75 »

please.... call me a bandwagon troll if you want, but I've been a Saints fan since I was in middle school when the Billy Joes were at QB... I've also been on this board since EARLY last week, and I've contributed immensely to discussion before and after the game.... I was the first to congratulate the Vikings on their play and was also the first to admit that they should have won that game... its not like I'm coming around just to rub your faces in it... I have over 100 posts in just over a week

the reason I'm so active on this thread is b/c the Saints are unfairly being called cheaters... if the Vikings had gotten all those hits on Brees (as most VIking fans said was needed to win last week) and it was Saints fans calling YOU the cheaters, how would you be reacting?
marty264
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by marty264 »

theberg-75 wrote:please.... call me a bandwagon troll if you want, but I've been a Saints fan since I was in middle school when the Billy Joes were at QB... I've also been on this board since EARLY last week, and I've contributed immensely to discussion before and after the game.... I was the first to congratulate the Vikings on their play and was also the first to admit that they should have won that game... its not like I'm coming around just to rub your faces in it... I have over 100 posts in just over a week

the reason I'm so active on this thread is b/c the Saints are unfairly being called cheaters... if the Vikings had gotten all those hits on Brees (as most VIking fans said was needed to win last week) and it was Saints fans calling YOU the cheaters, how would you be reacting?
Some hits are judgment calls, but the one below the knees with another man hitting him high was a blatant violation of NFL rules. All there is to say. Its a little ridiculous to label them as cheaters, but that one was definitely a cheap shot.
Knoxx
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Knoxx »

Still hungry I see. I could care less that you've been a Saints fan for 10 years. I've been a Viking fan since about 1970. In 4 decades as a Vikings fan I have learned that if I discuss the Vikes in a Packer bar that they will not see things my way no matter how many times I state my case. I think the same thing goes for forum boards with out the violence. If you want someone to pat you on the back and say the 4 cheap shots on Farve were ok go to a Saints board. Like I said before 1 or 2 shots can be dismissed as being up for the game. 4 gets you thinking that they might be trying to hurt someone. You already stated that you don't care who we root for. Why should you care about this.
theberg-75
Starter

Post by theberg-75 »

if you wanna play numbers, I'd say 4 so called illegal hits (according to you) out of the total 20 hits is proof enough that the point wasn't to cheapshot or hurt him

I'd say 4 questionable hits out of 20 is a rather GOOD percentage... when you have THAT MANY shot on the QB and that QB's fans only question 4 of them its sounds pretty nitpicky
Last edited by theberg-75 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Allenfreak69
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Allenfreak69 »

theberg-75 wrote:if you wanna play numbers, I'd say 4 so called illegal hits (according to you) out of the total 20 hits is proof enough that the point wasn't to cheapshot or hurt him
4 is too many...

Our Day Will Come
theberg-75
Starter

Post by theberg-75 »

Allenfreak69 wrote: 4 is too many...
maybe 4 is too many for the vikings, who had like 5 hits total on the QB
Allenfreak69
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Allenfreak69 »

theberg-75 wrote: maybe 4 is too many for the vikings, who had like 5 hits total on the QB
5 legal hits...Any time a team commits 4 illegal hits, that is far too many.

Our Day Will Come
theberg-75
Starter

Post by theberg-75 »

Allenfreak69 wrote:5 legal hits...Any time a team commits 4 illegal hits, that is far too many.
well apparently by yalls rules its illegal to play pattycake with the QB so I dont trust your definition of illegal
Allenfreak69
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Allenfreak69 »

theberg-75 wrote: well apparently by yalls rules its illegal to play pattycake with the QB so I dont trust your definition of illegal
Thats according to the NFL rules...

I agree that the penalties should not be as strict as they are when it comes to touching the QB, but this season the NFL has called some ridiculous calls on people sacking the QB. If the NFL calls it that way, players need to play it that way.

Our Day Will Come
MikethePurple
Veteran

Post by MikethePurple »

First of all, I'd say that the reasons we lost was most importantly turnovers and this is not meant as a "sour grapes" post.

That said, I pretty much agree with what J Kapp said. One aspect that makes the hits suspect is that it wasn't always specifically one player laying the hits indicating a systematic strategy. While trying to shake up a qb is not necessarily playing dirty, the sentiment or strategy that incorporates an attitude of 'we'll take a few penalties and throw caution to the wind, if that's what is necessary to take him out either mentally or physically' seems to be a 'win at any cost' mentality and not necessarily in the spirit of sportsmanship.

Look at what happened to Warner the week before, while he was going for the ball McCray blantantly launches himself at Warner taking any opportunity to knock him in to next week. While technically it was a legal hit, the vitriol with which it was delivered added to the numerous hits Favre took make the defensive game plan look a little suspect in regards to attacking the qb at any chance. While I'm not advocating for flag football to be played as this is a contact sport there is a difference between trying to shake the quarterback (or any player for that matter) up and get him outside of his comfort zone and blatantly hitting him as hard or recklessly as possible any chance you get (ie: the Harvin hand off hit and the low hit) which as I stated points to a systematic game plan that is directed towards taking a player/s out.

Also look at the hit that Reynaud took on the downed punt. While it may have been legal (although I think he may have been called for roughness) because he wasn't touched when he took the knee, he had been down and had given up on the play for a couple seconds when he was blindsided in the back when in most cases defenders would just touch them to down them when the play is obviously over.

Here's a quote from Greg Williams about the upcoming game and the plan for Manning. Makes you look at these previous hits as part of a scheme and mindset as opposed to one or two "cheap or dirty players."

"Here's the deal. When you put too much of that type of worry on a warrior's mind, he doesn't play all out. If it happens, it happens. And the only thing you'd like for me to say is that if it happens you hope he doesn't get back up and play again."
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

theberg-75 wrote: maybe 4 is too many for the vikings, who had like 5 hits total on the QB
Honestly you have to still talk 4 days after the game? Have fun losing in Miami.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.