Do you think TheSaints purposely hit Favre with illegal hits

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Do you think The Saints purposely hit Favre with illegal hits?

Yes
77%
No
21%
You're a poor sport
2%

Total votes: 43

TrenchGoon
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Do you think TheSaints purposely hit Favre with illegal hits

Post by TrenchGoon »

of course! :roll:
Lars
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Lars »

cthusky wrote:I am still hurting, but not as badly as Favre is hurting!

Yes, I believe the Saints deliberately tried to hurt Favre with late hits. I believe that with their offense, they believed that they could easily make up the 15 yard penalties, so it was worth the risk. And when the refs stopped calling roughing the passer penalties, it only encouraged more hits.

Nevertheless, we lost this game with our own bungles. The Saints did not win it with dirty play or clean play. We lost it pure and simple.
What makes it so maddening is that the Vikings were SOOOO CLOSE..... even with all the mistakes. Yeah, OK, the team lost. But one small (or large) factor the other way and the team likely wins. It's one thing to get thrashed like the Cowboys did two weeks ago. It's quite another to lose this way.
TrenchGoon
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by TrenchGoon »

Lars wrote: What makes it so maddening is that the Vikings were SOOOO CLOSE..... even with all the mistakes. Yeah, OK, the team lost. But one small (or large) factor the other way and the team likely wins. It's one thing to get thrashed like the Cowboys did two weeks ago. It's quite another to lose this way.
I bet if we wen't through the game play by play we could find at least 15 plays that would likely have changed the course of the game.
MikeCheck
All Pro Elite Player

Post by MikeCheck »

It was their intention to hit Favre a lot. Most of the time it was borderline legal. I just wish that it would have been at the Metrodome, things would have been a lot different.
"Music is a great way to heal
and a safe place to feel,
trapped in this fake world
a gateway to real" - Shad
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Gee if our line could block anyone we wouldn't need to have this discussion in the first place. Time to start pointing fingers at the real problem, don'tcha think?
cthusky
Starter

Post by cthusky »

TrenchGoon wrote: I bet if we wen't through the game play by play we could find at least 15 plays that would likely have changed the course of the game.
Of all the sad words
Of tongue and pen
The saddest are these:
"It might have been."
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

1. The Saints tried to hit Favre on every play. That's not an uncommon tactic against a great QB ... especially if your defense sucks. I do believe the goal was to get him out of the game, either physically or mentally.

2. In many ways, the tactic worked. Favre was limited in his mobility and missed some completions because his injuries affected his ability to throw. And I believe he did not run on the final play because he was simply too beat up.

3. Most of the hits were legal.

4. However, in their zeal to hit Favre on every play, they also laid some very cheap shots on him. These include (but are not limited to) the one they got flagged for, and the hi-low they should have been flagged for. I also believe the most damaging shots Favre took were the illegal ones.

5. I like to think this site would be rated PG if it were a movie -- not vulgar, violent or obscene, but definitely for mature audiences. Wishing somebody would break Drew Brees' legs doesn't exactly rate high on the maturity scale. So, as a measure of protest against immature posters starting polls, I didn't vote.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Max Power
Backup

Post by Max Power »

There is no doubt in my mind, the Saints are a dirty team. Karma already got them once - next will be at Miami as they get embarassed.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I don't think they tried to hurt him. Tried to hit him, yes, but hurt him, no. Were some of them roughing, yes, but most were legal hits from what I could see.

For me, the bigger questions are:

- Why didn't the Vikings pass block better? This wasn't the first game all year where Favre took a lot of hits.
- Why did the Vikes go so pass-heavy? The Saints had a poor run defense all year, and AD looked pretty good on the first series. Rushes and blitzes can be negated somewhat by a legit running attack, so why go so pass-heavy?
- Notice how Brees unloaded the ball well before he would get hit? Brees chose to trade personal safety for a few overthrows and misfires. Favre didn't. Favre stood in and took the shots even if it meant he got plastered. It's a shame Brees got rewarded for that while Favre didn't, but that's the way it went.

Anyway, I understood why the Saints went after Brett like they did, and I also don't think it mattered on that last throw. That last throw by Favre was Brett trying to make an amazing play that would have set the Vikes up in prime position to kick a field goal and it backfired on him. No Saint defender touched Favre on that play, and while they are all so eager to take credit for the result, in the end it was another example of the Vikings giving the game away.
theberg-75
Starter

Post by theberg-75 »

Saints are not dirty... they're just no longer finnesse... they're tough guys doing their jobs... stop the whining

i tried to vote NO and SURPRISE, it wouldn't let me... kept saying it was an invalid option
BRING THE WOOD!!!! Who Dat?
theberg-75
Starter

Post by theberg-75 »

talk about how you should have won, fine... talk about how you were the better team, whatever... but the constant talk about the Saints is just a bad relection on you... its obvious that the sour grapes from the loss just has you reaching for insults on the players and fans... you were all civil until after the game and then this board just fell apart

i tried to leave, but the level of accusations about being dirty cheaters is just rediculous... I've been on a lot of opponents boards cuz I like the discussion, but this has to be the biggest bunch of whiners I've ever seen

heck, why not talk about FA or the draft
Knoxx
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Knoxx »

theberg-75 wrote:Saints are not dirty... they're just no longer finnesse... they're tough guys doing their jobs... stop the whining

i tried to vote NO and SURPRISE, it wouldn't let me... kept saying it was an invalid option
If you would have read every post instead of just trolling you would have noticed a link from the admin explaining the wowpurple look of the board is broken when using polls. you need change to prosilver to vote.

Last time I checked this was a Viking board. We have the right to post what we like. It's your type of post that makes long time NFC fans convert to Manning fans for a few weeks. You make it easy for me though. I've liked him since he was drafted and was asked what he was going to do with his signing bonus and he said "Try to earn it.".
Last edited by Knoxx on Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theberg-75
Starter

Post by theberg-75 »

you guys keep saying how all this is changing your minds about how you'll root in the SB... do you really think that hurts our feelings or something? we've been underdogs since this team came into existence.... I could care less how a couple Vikings fans root

the fact is, the Saints played hard, not dirty... anything else is just losers crying... I'd be ashamed if this was how Saints fans reacted if we had lost... blame everybody and everything except the TURNOVERS... all these threads just sound like sour grapes

ban me, i dont care.... this is just retarded
Knoxx
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Knoxx »

theberg-75 wrote:you guys keep saying how all this is changing your minds about how you'll root in the SB... do you really think that hurts our feelings or something? we've been underdogs since this team came into existence.... I could care less how a couple Vikings fans root

the fact is, the Saints played hard, not dirty... anything else is just losers crying... I'd be ashamed if this was how Saints fans reacted if we had lost... blame everybody and everything except the TURNOVERS... all these threads just sound like sour grapes

ban me, i dont care.... this is just retarded
How many roughing the passer penalties did you get? And now your defensive cordinator is saying that they are going to try to hit Peyton hard. No mention of trying to sack him just hit him hard. If thats not dirty I don't know what is. If you want to hear how awesome the Saints are then go to your own boards, cause you won't hear it here or on TV :lol:
theberg-75
Starter

Post by theberg-75 »

Knoxx wrote: How many roughing the passer penalties did you get? And now your defensive cordinator is saying that they are going to try to hit Peyton hard. No mention of trying to sack him just hit him hard. If thats not dirty I don't know what is. If you want to hear how awesome the Saints are then go to your own boards, cause you won't hear it here or on TV :lol:
again, i dont understand whats dirty about wanting to hit the QB? this is football right? not tiddlywinks... grow a set... maybe YOU should have gotten to Brees more often