Start or Sit - RB's

A forum for Fantasy Football discussion. Talk about leagues, trades, players or start your own league!

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Start or Sit - RB's

Post by S197 »

Which two would you start:

Barber
Slaton
Ray Rice
Sproles
McFadden
Stewart

Week 1 I started Barber/Slaton. Slaton wasn't very impressive and they play Tennessee this week. I'm thinking maybe Ray Rice as the Raiders were able to run on SD pretty well. Sproles isn't the featured back yet and McFadden seems to lose too any carries to Bush especially around the goalline. Thoughts?
Bill Carson
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Start or Sit - RB's

Post by Bill Carson »

S197 wrote:Which two would you start:

Barber
Slaton
Ray Rice
Sproles
McFadden
Stewart
I'd go with Barber and Rice. good luck!
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Barber definitely should start.

After that it depends on what happens with this;
RB LaDainian Tomlinson missed another day of practice Thursday leading to Sunday's game against the visiting Ravens. Tomlinson, who has been compromised with injuries the past two seasons, sprained an ankle in Monday's season-opening win at Oakland. In the past Tomlinson's potential absence would be a huge red flag for the Chargers' offense. But that was before Philip Rivers and the passing game becoming the focal point of the unit. Plus, there are some decent alternatives to Tomlinson, including franchise running back Darren Sproles.
Keep an eye on the Tomlinson situation. If it looks like he'll sit I'd start Sproles.

Otherwise it's between McFadden and Rice. It's nearly a toss up there but I'd probably start McFadden simply because I like the match up against KC. McFadden's only 100+ yard game came last year against KC.

Rice will be the starter but he won't get goal line carries ... which dings the value a bit.

There is also something to be said about Slaton ... did he just have a bad game? He's a top RB, do you really sit him after only one bad game? Do you feel like he's the kind of player that would rebound from that?

It's a tough call.

I'd start Barber and McFadden but keep an eye on Sproles. If he ends up starting he's your guy.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Good point about LT, although going up against Baltimore I think I like McFadden and Rice's matchups better.

I think Slaton will rebound but maybe not against the Titans. They don't have Haynesworth but are still stout.

Initially I was leaning towards Barber/Rice but didn't realize McFadden had a good game against KC last year. Well at least I have a few more days to decide.
thatguy
Hall of Famer

Post by thatguy »

Whew...tough one to pick.

If I was to do it:

Start: Sproles, McFadden
Possible Starts: Ray Rice, Stewart
Sit: Barber, Slaton

Barber just doesn't seem like a good start against a really strong D.
"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." ~Thucydides
thor
Veteran

Post by thor »

I believe that Slaton's first big game came last year against the Titans. If I'm remembering right he rushed for over a 100 yards, and 1 or 2 TD's. Sproles has had a lot of big games against good D's, but I think I would go with McFadden and Barber.
thatguy
Hall of Famer

Post by thatguy »

I've got AP starting...

Out of these three, which 1 should I start tomorrow?

Chester Taylor vs. DET
Lendale White vs. HOU
Cedric Benson vs. GB

Also...

I have a lot of faith in John Carlson (TE for Seattle) but should I start him against rival San Fran tomorrow or play Shiancoe against the Lions?

Thanks!

:govikes:
"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." ~Thucydides
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

thatguy wrote:I've got AP starting...

Out of these three, which 1 should I start tomorrow?

Chester Taylor vs. DET
Lendale White vs. HOU
Cedric Benson vs. GB

Also...

I have a lot of faith in John Carlson (TE for Seattle) but should I start him against rival San Fran tomorrow or play Shiancoe against the Lions?
IMO, it's a toss up between White and Benson. But, White probably has a slightly better matchup.

I don't think you can sit Carlson either. Shiancoe might have a good game, but it may be like last week where Favre doesn't need to throw much.
SarasotaViking
Franchise Player

Post by SarasotaViking »

S197 wrote:Which two would you start:

Barber
Slaton
Ray Rice
Sproles
McFadden
Stewart

Week 1 I started Barber/Slaton. Slaton wasn't very impressive and they play Tennessee this week. I'm thinking maybe Ray Rice as the Raiders were able to run on SD pretty well. Sproles isn't the featured back yet and McFadden seems to lose too any carries to Bush especially around the goalline. Thoughts?

Don't give up on Slaton yet, too many people make this mistake too early. Houston ran into a tough D week 1, and got down big early in week 2 and had to air it out. Start him as your #1.

Careful with Barber this week, if he does suit up (last i checked it was 50/50), he will be lucky to get half the carries. I see him getting 10-15 touches with limited productivity.

If LT is still out, looks like he will be, Sproles is you man. Even if LT makes the start i believe Sproles will be your best option here. In the short passing game, Sproles will be against the LB's that let Dallas Clark have his carrer game Mon. I see a big let down for Miami this week. San Diego knows that, i highly doubt if they will try to rush LT back this week.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Yeah last week I managed to pick the right two, went with Barber and Sproles (thanks Cliff).

I waived Rice and picked up Fred Jackson. I know it was a career game for him last week but I figure stick him on the bench and see if he's the real deal. Don't think I'll start Barber this week so it's between Slaton and McFadden. Denver D has looked good so maybe I'll take your advice and start Slaton.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

S197 wrote:Yeah last week I managed to pick the right two, went with Barber and Sproles (thanks Cliff).

I waived Rice and picked up Fred Jackson. I know it was a career game for him last week but I figure stick him on the bench and see if he's the real deal. Don't think I'll start Barber this week so it's between Slaton and McFadden. Denver D has looked good so maybe I'll take your advice and start Slaton.
No problem, I'm glad it worked out for you. McFadden wouldn't have been too horrible last week either. He got into the end zone. Though I wouldn't expect that every week from him ... to begin with Oakland is horrible and he's splitting carries with Bush.

Slaton is really sucking it up this season. I definitely wouldn't drop him ... but if he's not careful he's going to lose more carries and that means less value.

The bottom line is Slaton could break out at some point ... but until he does, if you've got someone who's been doing better and there's no reason why he won't continue ... you've got to go with him.

If I were you, I'd put my money on the hot hand. I'd start Jackson. This might be Jackson's last week before he's splitting carries with Lynch. He's going to want to prove why he should be the starter and he's had a great season so far.

You say his last game was his "break out" game ... but I don't know about that. He had a more impressive day on the ground for sure ... but the game before he had 5 catches for 83 yards and a TD to go along with his 57 rushing yards.

Whoever else you start, I think with Barber out, especially this next week, Jackson is probably the best RB (from a fantasy standpoint) on your roster.

If Sproles starts again I think you've got to go with Jackson and Sproles. If not I'd probably roll the dice with Slaton ... but I'd rather leave a player that's doing that poorly on the bench until he starts producing if I had the luxury (which you do).

Also keep an eye on Barber;
Thu, Sep 24

Barber participated in some of practice Thursday and his status remains undetermined for the Monday night game against Carolina. good enough to give it a test run.

Advice: Barber hurt his left thigh at the end of a 35-yard run on his final carry of the last game. He said Wednesday he hopes to play and has taken part in both practices this week. "I can't predict it," coach Wade Phillips said. "He's day by day right now, but it can be a game-time decision by the time it gets here." Choice.
You're at a disadvantage with Barber because he plays on Monday so if it's a "game time decision" you don't want to have started him and he can't go. If it's clear that he'll start ... I'd probably do Barber and Jackson.