Opening Links with PHPBB 3.01

Announcements, suggestions, comments, or problems with Vikingsmessageboard.com

Moderator: Moderators

Mr. X
Hall of Fame Inductee

Opening Links with PHPBB 3.01

Post by Mr. X »

I noticed when I click on a link that it will not open in a new tab as it did prior to the upgrade to PHPBB 3.01. Does PHPBB 3.01 over-ride one's browser settings?

Of course now I'm starting to wonder if my memory is correct on opening links in a new tab with the prior format. I think that was the case but maybe I'm mistaken on that.

Anyhoo ... wondering if there's a way to open links in a new tab.
Kansas Viking
Starship Commander

Re: Opening Links with PHPBB 3.01

Post by Kansas Viking »

I wondered about that too. Thought it was just the way I had my browser set or something. I will look around and see if there is a setting that will allow them to open in a new window.
Mike

Mr. X
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Mr. X »

Kansas Viking wrote:I wondered about that too. Thought it was just the way I had my browser set or something. I will look around and see if there is a setting that will allow them to open in a new window.
Thanks. It's a pretty minor thing in the larger scheme of things.

The upgrade to PHPBB 3.01 sure went smoothly. Kudos to you and glg on pulling that off.

I switched back to the subsilver2. Creature of habit. Or habitat.
Kansas Viking
Starship Commander

Post by Kansas Viking »

Mr. X wrote:
Thanks. It's a pretty minor thing in the larger scheme of things.
Looks like opening links in a new window was specifically changed for this version.
Compared to phpBB3, links in phpBB2 had a slightly different behavior: When you clicked them, they opened a new window with the requested page. This was changed in phpBB3 for a couple of reasons, but one of the most important ones was the goal to achieve XHTML 1.0 Strict-validation for the whole board.
Mr. X wrote:The upgrade to PHPBB 3.01 sure went smoothly. Kudos to you and glg on pulling that off.
Thanks. Geoff did all the hard work. I had wanted to do this for some time, but didn't have the expertise in SQL. I mainly did graphics and worked on settings once it was converted.
Mr. X wrote:I switched back to the subsilver2. Creature of habit. Or habitat.
There will be times when I use all three of them. I have always liked a darker theme and this version makes updates so much easier. That's the nice thing about having 3 different styles. Everyone can set it to their preference.
Mike

cstelter
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Following Links?

Post by cstelter »

Not sure if this is the best place for this or not, but it seems better than any of the others.

Before the recent upgrade, if you clicked on a link to a url, you'd get a new window. Since the update it seems that following a link reuses the current browser. I much prefer the old method for at least 2 reasons.

For starters, sometimes links don't work or are slow. I could click link and continue reading as the page loaded.

Also, I'm often interrupted by such annoyances as real work. I tend to clean up my desktop by quickly closing the windows I've read. Now I have to remember if an webpage is up becuase it stemmed from this site before I close it. The old way allowed me to close any article I found uninteresting or had already read and eventually I'd find my way back to the thread I had been reading and I could continue on.

I changed to all 3 styles, but they all seem to follow the new 'reuse the browser' paradigm. I didn't see any other profile setting that seemed like it should affect this.

I'm still using IE 6, so maybe the tabs in IE7 make this more tolerable, I wouldn't know.

Is there any way to get the old setting back? Other message boards still function the old way for me so I don't think I've reconfigured anything in IE by accident.
Craig S
cstelter
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Following Links?

Post by cstelter »

Doh! I thought I had read through suggestions first, but clearly I missed this

http://vikingsmessageboard.com/viewtopi ... =6&t=16603

Nevermind
Craig S
cstelter
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by cstelter »

Kansas Viking wrote: Looks like opening links in a new window was specifically changed for this version.
Hi Mike,
I think you got the above quote from here. Is there any chance you or Geoff could apply the suggested workaround? I for one would appreciate it.
Craig S
cstelter
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by cstelter »

cstelter wrote: Hi Mike,
I think you got the above quote from here. Is there any chance you or Geoff could apply the suggested workaround? I for one would appreciate it.
I always like to preview posts and check any links I may have added before I post. I don't exactly trust to go back in a browser and have my post in tact. However, just now I was posting and wanted to click in a link that was in the history of the thread. Again, I didn't want to lose the text of my post by clicking on the link with the new paradigm (although, it may be perfectly safe to do this-- I just have lost too many posts to trust it withtout testing first).

Anyway, I discovered you can still right-click on any link and select 'open in new window', so that is pretty easy. I still wouldn't mind the old behavior, but now it's a very minor thing. Just wanted to post that tidbit for others also missing the old behavior.
Craig S
Kansas Viking
Starship Commander

Post by Kansas Viking »

You are correct Craig on where I got that link at the PHPBB site. I had not really had time to make the change and also didn't want to get into a bunch of Mods right off the bat. I will take some time Here in the next month or so and make those changes to the test site and see how they work.

But thanks a million for the right click and open in new window tip. I should have known that. I'm using FireFox and I can open in new tab, which is fantastic and works great for me.
Mike