I am a Jets Fan Who Comes in Peace. I Need Your Help.

A forum for Fantasy Football discussion. Talk about leagues, trades, players or start your own league!

Moderator: Moderators

Diggs

I am a Jets Fan Who Comes in Peace. I Need Your Help.

Post by Diggs »

Hi all,

Great performance last Friday night. What your defense did to Chad has every Jets fan I know screaming for a QB controversy and you guys are one hell of a physical football team on both sides of the ball.

Football games are won in the trenches and your team can dominate on both the offensive and defensive line.

I need your help from a fantasy football perspective. Drafting where I am drafting from (12th out of 12), I'm going to be faced with taking either Adrian Peterson or Marshawn Lynch on the 3rd round/4th round wrap around. I think Lynch is in the better situation for guaranteed playing time and a guaranteed feature back role, but I really think AP is by far the superior player and the left side of your OLine from Center to LT (Birk, Hutch, and McKinnie), well, there is no better trio in the business.

How do you as Viking homers see the split in carries going to start the season between Peterson and Taylor? Do you see it being 50/50? 60/40 in Peterson's favor? 70/30? Etc. By mid season and later (barring health) I think Peterson will really begin to seperate himself from Taylor, but how do you see the season starting off in terms of these two guys?

Thanks in advance and best of luck this season. :wink:
purple guy
Hall of Famer

Post by purple guy »

I think early, in the first few games, Taylor will get more carries. But if AD can continue to show what he did in the Jets game, the ability to stretch the field, he will have a bigger role. From a fantacy stand point, Id personally draft Lynch. With our coach it is hard to know how he'll treat the 2 backs. I dont think drafting Lynch in the 4th will hurt any draft, and the difference would only be in the potential of AD, as you said Lynch will get the ball, AD might.
DanAS1
Hall of Famer

Re: I am a Jets Fan Who Comes in Peace. I Need Your Help.

Post by DanAS1 »

Diggs wrote:Hi all,

Great performance last Friday night. What your defense did to Chad has every Jets fan I know screaming for a QB controversy and you guys are one hell of a physical football team on both sides of the ball.

Football games are won in the trenches and your team can dominate on both the offensive and defensive line.

I need your help from a fantasy football perspective. Drafting where I am drafting from (12th out of 12), I'm going to be faced with taking either Adrian Peterson or Marshawn Lynch on the 3rd round/4th round wrap around. I think Lynch is in the better situation for guaranteed playing time and a guaranteed feature back role, but I really think AP is by far the superior player and the left side of your OLine from Center to LT (Birk, Hutch, and McKinnie), well, there is no better trio in the business.

How do you as Viking homers see the split in carries going to start the season between Peterson and Taylor? Do you see it being 50/50? 60/40 in Peterson's favor? 70/30? Etc. By mid season and later (barring health) I think Peterson will really begin to seperate himself from Taylor, but how do you see the season starting off in terms of these two guys?

Thanks in advance and best of luck this season. :wink:
I think you've analyzed it well. Early on, the split might be 55/45 Taylor. Hopefully, that won't last long.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

As long as he stays healthy and continues to look like he did against the Jets Mr. Peterson is the RB you want.

His true value probably won't be apparent in a fantasy league until week 3-4 I think but at that point I think he'll be getting the majority of the carries.

Even if it turns out to be a 50/50 split in an attempt to keep both backs fresh, AP/AD still has far more potential to cut lose for a big gain and/or TD than Taylor, IMO.
Diggs

Post by Diggs »

Cliff wrote:As long as he stays healthy and continues to look like he did against the Jets Mr. Peterson is the RB you want.

His true value probably won't be apparent in a fantasy league until week 3-4 I think but at that point I think he'll be getting the majority of the carries.

Even if it turns out to be a 50/50 split in an attempt to keep both backs fresh, AP/AD still has far more potential to cut lose for a big gain and/or TD than Taylor, IMO.
Well, my question more or less wasn't focused on whether I should draft Taylor, and if I'm reading your response wrong I apologize.

My question is really Marshawn Lynch (who seems to be the unqestioned starter in Buffalo) vs. AP/AD. I think we'll agree that Peterson is the superior talent, but will the shared time with Taylor lower AP's fantasy value to a status where Lynch is actually the better fantasy pick (even though AP is the better player).

I'm really trying to gauge how much of a split you Minnesota fans expect to see between AP and Taylor so I can gauge if AP or Lynch is the better selection.

Thanks in advance.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Diggs wrote: Well, my question more or less wasn't focused on whether I should draft Taylor, and if I'm reading your response wrong I apologize.

My question is really Marshawn Lynch (who seems to be the unqestioned starter in Buffalo) vs. AP/AD. I think we'll agree that Peterson is the superior talent, but will the shared time with Taylor lower AP's fantasy value to a status where Lynch is actually the better fantasy pick (even though AP is the better player).

I'm really trying to gauge how much of a split you Minnesota fans expect to see between AP and Taylor so I can gauge if AP or Lynch is the better selection.

Thanks in advance.
I'm sorry, I misunderstood exactly what you were asking.

I'd have to go with Lynch if you can only pick one or the other. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Peterson and Taylor got pretty even playing time. Taylor brings a lot to the table too (Even though his talent level is considerably below Peterson's, IMO).

In an attempt to keep both back as fresh as possible I think we'll see a lot of both of them.
mefford76
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mefford76 »

Lynch is the way to go
We have great talent in our backfield. All Buffalo has is Lynch.
vikinginindiana
Veteran

Post by vikinginindiana »

I think Peterson will be a great back. But, he will be sharing carries with Taylor for awhile. I am sure Lynch will get more carries with Bills. The question is how successful will he be? I would have to lean towards Peterson after watching Mcgahee struggle last season.
Colinito
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Colinito »

Thanks for your comments on the Vikes. After a rough year last year, we are ready for some games like that one.

I may be the minority, but I like Adrian Peterson over Lynch. You saw that one drive. He got like 11 points in that drive alone. Unfortunately, like Chester Taylor last year, Adrian Peterson's strength is that he was a sleeper for awhile. Now he's not, ever since that performance last Friday.

Since Lynch will be a great option too, I would see which of the two falls into the late 3rd / early 4th round and take them.

Also, the biggest sleeper we have is Troy Williamson, who is our #1 X guy and is not being drafted til late in many leagues. Great late round pick-up.
vikinginindiana
Veteran

Post by vikinginindiana »

Colinito wrote: Also, the biggest sleeper we have is Troy Williamson, who is our #1 X guy and is not being drafted til late in many leagues. Great late round pick-up.
Hmmmmm, I am having a hard time buying into the Troy Williamson as a sleeper idea. I have seen him drop to many passes. I hope you are right.
vikingrule84
Starter

Post by vikingrule84 »

I think you summed it up pretty well yourself but I'd say it depends what you are looking for. Lynch is a lower risk but also would have a lower reward. Peterson is a little more of a risk only because he is splitting but the sky is the limit for him IMO. I see Peterson later in the year taking more snaps than Taylor though but its anyones guess.
Mike
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Have to agree with most people. Lynch is the safer pick. There is really no one on the Bills team who should sniff the field unless Lynch is injured or tired. And he should get the majority of the carries and put up better numbers.

Between Lynch and Peterson, I'd go with Lynch. But if you could pass on Lynch, and get Peterson in a later round that might be a good way to go if you can get someone else early. Because I don't know just how much of a difference it might be. I already think Peterson, because of his style, size, and strength will see most if not all of the goal line carries the Vikings get. We had a problem there last year and no one was really able to stand out, Peterson has already stood out that last preseason game when we finally got it down there and were able to punch it in. Heck, going into the season Taylor could just spell AD and be a third down guy. (I wouldnt count on it...I am not giving Childress that much credit yet!)
Swaps
Career Elite Player

Post by Swaps »

lynch will be getting more carries because he's the sole back.

but from what I've heard, they're going to be using AD on more goalline and redzone plays then Taylor.
What do you think of my Defense Now?!??! BWRAAARRRGGGG!!
I look good in purple! - Jared Allen
Diggs

Post by Diggs »

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm just really hoping that Childress can't control his excitement.

A coach can go into a game, or a season, etc. with a gameplan. "I want to use this guy for x amount of carries, and I want to use this guy for x amount of carries." However, if AP is running wild, sustaining drives, converting first downs, wearing down the defense, etc. It's amazing how fast that can become addictive.

Didn't Taylor have some fumbling problems and goaline problems last season also (sometimes both of them at the same time)? Was Chester's season really a product of him being real talented? Or do you think it was more a product of your extremely underrated offensive line?
Colinito
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Colinito »

Didn't Taylor have some fumbling problems and goaline problems last season also (sometimes both of them at the same time)? Was Chester's season really a product of him being real talented? Or do you think it was more a product of your extremely underrated offensive line?
Yes, Chester Taylor had some problems getting into the end zone last year. I anticipate Adrian Peterson to get most, if not all, goal line touches.

Some people think Chester is just an average runner who simply did a lot of it last year, but many (myself included) think Chester is a very talented runner, going against 8 in the box for the second half of the season and still getting good yards

I think you noticed in the Jets game, that after Peterson ripped off that huge run, Taylor went up the middle for 10 yards. I think that will be a pattern too.

I got Chester in the 5th round last year and he was a stud. This year, if he's in the 6th I'll snag him.