Sick and Tired of all this Baseball

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Sick and Tired of all this Baseball

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

I will be so glad when the NFL season starts. I am just sick of all this baseball stuff. I mean there are great plays in the NFL preseason and Sports Center doesn't even show them. No they have to be beaten out by baseball. Baseball's season is way too long. Who cares if a team wins I mean there is like 130 games in a season. I don't know how much is clean baseball anymore. The games are boring. I am sick of watching sports center and only seeing OH John Smoltz vs. Arod or some gay stuff. Who really cares? I mean i like the Twins and watch them sometimes. I have only watched a full game about 13 times. I don't watch the whole game very much. America's past time? Not for long, people say the football is almost there. I swear Sports Center is anti NFL. You know that Dontarius Thomas INT for a TD? It was a top play nommie and it DIDN'T EVEN MAKE #10. I MEAN A FREAKING JUMP FOR A BALL WAS NUMBER ONE!!! DIVING CATCH FOR A DOUBLE PLAY, HMMMMMM DOESN'T THAT HAPPEN LIKE ALMOST EVERY GAME!!! They should shorten the season by at least 50 games. Just can't wait for september 9th. I hope it comes fast.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I like baseball, but I agree its too long of a season. They should go to 140 games or even 150. The players would probably like a few extra days off too.
At least the playoffs don't last three months like the NBA. That's stupid.
But I can't wait for football. Every year at this time I get more and more antsy, waiting for the official kickk off!!

Josh
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
TrenchGoon
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by TrenchGoon »

ESPN is horrible. I suggest we all stop watching it unless there is an actual sporting even on.
DanAS1
Hall of Famer

Re: Sick and Tired of all this Baseball

Post by DanAS1 »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:I will be so glad when the NFL season starts. I am just sick of all this baseball stuff. I mean there are great plays in the NFL preseason and Sports Center doesn't even show them.
Baseball is my favorite sport; football is my religion. But football, even to me, doesn't lend itself to the highlight reel quite as much as baseball.

Then again, that's the strength of football. At its best, it's a seemless three hour, back and forth drama that feels more like watching a war than observing a mere game. You barely think about individual plays; you think about the unfolding of the entire fabric -- blocking, tackling, catching, covering, running, kicking, stupid penalties, throwing, heart-wrenching injuries ... and in many cases, several of these activities taking place at the same instant.

Baseball is different. The memories are largely of a few moments involving one or two individuals in which time -- and the game itself -- almost stops. It's totally what Sports Center is about. But given the choice, I'd opt instead for the emotionally-draining crescendos of a classic NFL tilt.
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

ESPN anti-NFL? Yeah right. NFL Tonight (or whatever they call it now) is a year round show now. They cover it more than the other sports by far.

Currently its the pennant races in baseball and worthless preseason in the NFL. What should they cover?

On a side note, I would suggest watching ESPNEWS instead of Sportscenter. For the most part its much better done and doesn't waste your time with stupid crap like "Who's Now" or other things. Its still not great, but its 100 times better than SC which I avoid like the plague.

The baseball season is long (7 months), but football is 5 and basketball is nearly 8 :shock:. Yeah its longer than football, but thats because its a marathon and not a race. Teams must be good the whole year to make it to the playoffs (obviously there are some exceptions.)
TrenchGoon
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by TrenchGoon »

wang_chi7 wrote: On a side note, I would suggest watching ESPNEWS instead of Sportscenter. For the most part its much better done and doesn't waste your time with stupid crap like "Who's Now" or other things. Its still not great, but its 100 times better than SC which I avoid like the plague.
yes...Who's Now and their daily Disney Tear Jerker are a perfect compliment to the thorough metrosexualization of the program in general. Where is an old guy with a beard? What happened to Charlie Steiner or even Dan Patrick. Its like a bunch of stupid Frat boys who think they are a lot more clever than they actually are. Let me just put it this way. I don't want my sports news delivered to me by a guy with frosted tips and a haircut best suited for Kurt Warner's wife. Its even worse when he has a smarmy attitude and a voice that sounds like a yankee woman.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

ESPN anti-NFL? Yeah right. NFL Tonight (or whatever they call it now) is a year round show now. They cover it more than the other sports by far.
It only gets an hour the NFL season itself. Baseball tonight gets an entire hour the entire baseball season. Whereas NFL Live gets a half hour most of the time, and gets an hour for a whole 4 or 5 months!
Kansas Viking
Starship Commander

Post by Kansas Viking »

TrenchGoon wrote:yes...Who's Now and their daily Disney Tear Jerker are a perfect compliment to the thorough metrosexualization of the program in general. Where is an old guy with a beard? What happened to Charlie Steiner or even Dan Patrick. Its like a bunch of stupid Frat boys who think they are a lot more clever than they actually are. Let me just put it this way. I don't want my sports news delivered to me by a guy with frosted tips and a haircut best suited for Kurt Warner's wife. Its even worse when he has a smarmy attitude and a voice that sounds like a yankee woman.
:clap: Here, let me pour you one. :pour: You absolutely summed up my opinion of ESPN these days. Of course, I don't subscribe to it anymore mainly because of the things you point out.
Mike

DanAS1
Hall of Famer

Post by DanAS1 »

TrenchGoon wrote:
yes...Who's Now and their daily Disney Tear Jerker are a perfect compliment to the thorough metrosexualization of the program in general. Where is an old guy with a beard? What happened to Charlie Steiner or even Dan Patrick. Its like a bunch of stupid Frat boys who think they are a lot more clever than they actually are. Let me just put it this way. I don't want my sports news delivered to me by a guy with frosted tips and a haircut best suited for Kurt Warner's wife. Its even worse when he has a smarmy attitude and a voice that sounds like a yankee woman.
Well put. Let me add that Mike and Mike in the Morning is full of the same nonsense.
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

TrenchGoon wrote:What happened to Charlie Steiner or even Dan Patrick.
Steiner works for the Dodgers. Patrick just left week before last. Word is he's taking a few months off and then will get a huge radio deal.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

glg wrote: Steiner works for the Dodgers. Patrick just left week before last. Word is he's taking a few months off and then will get a huge radio deal.

All of the guys are trying to be so funny and "cool" but they end up sounding stupid.

I miss Steiner, Patrick, Olberman... they were all cool.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

"Coming up on Sports Center we have the exciting news at who won at the Bronx"
WHO CARES!!!
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

PurpleMustReign wrote:I miss Steiner, Patrick, Olberman... they were all cool.
For sports anchor pairs, I don't know that there will ever be a combo as good as Olberman and Patrick were on SportsCenter. The played so well off each other.
Skoobs78
Veteran

Post by Skoobs78 »

I think the "Who's Now?" idea was by far the dumbest waste of time and effort on ESPN in the last few years. Here let's make a pointless bracket with obviously less popular sports figures vs. LeBron James/Tiger Woods! ESPN knows that baseball is not nearly as popular of a sport so they have to throw some ratings ploy like this crap to fill in the time that football's void leaves.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Don't forget about NASCAR. Why the heck is that even considered a sport??? I mean your driving a car!!! Oh that sounds as hard as conditioning and playing a 4 15 minute quarters in a football game. "Tonight on Sports Center we have the news on the Larry Johnson story, but first an amazing win for the Tigers"
*59 minutes later*
"Oh with the last 30 seconds of our show will talk about the new 6 year deal Larry Johnson signed today... Oh out of time that will do it for Sports Center we will see you tommorow."

NFL Live isn't even HALF OF AN HOUR!!! It's like 20 MINUTES!!! Freaking Baseball Tonight get's an HOUR!!! I mean you could cover the NFL for an hour better than baseball.