Tovar, Carew, Killebrew and Oliva they ain't

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

DanAS1
Hall of Famer

Tovar, Carew, Killebrew and Oliva they ain't

Post by DanAS1 »

As I type this, the Twins threw out the following individuals in order -- and keep in mind that none of these low-average hitters have the power of a Dave Kingman:

Kubel -- .248
White -- .143 (at DH!)
Rodriguez -- .198
Casilla -- .250
Bartlett -- .260

Maybe it was against this kind of competition that allowed Babe Ruth to out homer entire teams.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

That's embarassing. What a joke. And Terry Ryan chose not to get a bat.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Who needs anything? We have the reigning MVP, Battling leader, Cy Young winner.

*snicker*
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Tovar, Carew, Killebrew and Oliva they ain't

Post by wang_chi7 »

DanAS1 wrote:As I type this, the Twins threw out the following individuals in order -- and keep in mind that none of these low-average hitters have the power of a Dave Kingman:

Kubel -- .248
White -- .143 (at DH!)
Rodriguez -- .198
Casilla -- .250
Bartlett -- .260

Maybe it was against this kind of competition that allowed Babe Ruth to out homer entire teams.
Pathetic ain't it! And think the team let David Ortiz walk (and he wasn't asking for much money either.) Then decided to trade Castillo.

Its a wonder that this team has had much success with their ignoring of offense almost totally. Pitching and defense are great, but don't mean much when the team hits just over the Mendoza line.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

This is a small section of an article on ESPN.com and a quote after the game from Gardenhire
For the Twins, it was a quick return to the offensive woes that have dogged them for more than a month. They managed only one run and eight hits Tuesday night, broke loose for 19 hits and 11 runs Wednesday and then reverted to the form that has made them one of the lowest-scoring teams in the majors the past few weeks.

"You shake your head and wonder what's going on," Gardenhire said. "You score that many last night and come back today and can't find a way to score one run. It's disappointing."

Why woyuld you wonder whats going on? Your team has no hitters. Your GM didn't get a hitter to help the team, instead he GOT RID of the second best hitter on the team. Anytime they score more than 3 runs I'm impressed.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Also, I wish they could give the offense a loss, rather than giving it to a pitcher who pitched a great game like Garza did.
Minniman
Hall of Famer

Post by Minniman »

Pathetic ain't it! And think the team let David Ortiz walk (and he wasn't asking for much money either.) Then decided to trade Castillo.
You guys all know how I feel about the Twins letting David Ortiz go. I was upset with that the second I heard about it. Of course, that is history, and Ortiz is signed long term with Boston. Ortiz will likely end up in the HOF for almost single handedly ending the curse of the Bambino, but the Twins didn't want players that struck out.

Just from last season, the Twins could have had Shannon Stewart and Luis Castillo at the top of the lineup. That would make a big difference in the batting lineup, as it would put runners on for the power bats.

Shannon Stewart LF ... 2007 AVG .299 | HR 9 | RBI 35 | OBP .362 | SLG .402 | SB 10
Luis Castillo 2B ........... 2007 AVG .307 | HR 0 | RBI 21 | OBP .357 | SLG .356 | SB 11
We come from the land of the ice and snow .... :smilevike:
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

Minniman wrote: You guys all know how I feel about the Twins letting David Ortiz go. I was upset with that the second I heard about it. Of course, that is history, and Ortiz is signed long term with Boston. Ortiz will likely end up in the HOF for almost single handedly ending the curse of the Bambino, but the Twins didn't want players that struck out.

Just from last season, the Twins could have had Shannon Stewart and Luis Castillo at the top of the lineup. That would make a big difference in the batting lineup, as it would put runners on for the power bats.

Shannon Stewart LF ... 2007 AVG .299 | HR 9 | RBI 35 | OBP .362 | SLG .402 | SB 10
Luis Castillo 2B ........... 2007 AVG .307 | HR 0 | RBI 21 | OBP .357 | SLG .356 | SB 11
Its moves like those that just make me mad at the current GM. It isn't about revenue or any other excuse. Its stupidity.

Has the team ever looked at the strike out leaders list? Its filled with great talent at the top. Strike outs are the second worst out (after the DP), but they aren't terribly worse than other outs. Ortiz by the way has only 79 strike outs this year and with plenty of at bats; nothing major.