Question Concerning Fantasy Draft

A forum for Fantasy Football discussion. Talk about leagues, trades, players or start your own league!

Moderator: Moderators

HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Question Concerning Fantasy Draft

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

I have a few questions.
Ok let me first start off by saying my team was so bad last year! I had the first pick in the draft and i choose Shuan Alexander. Well owners of him know how that went. I had so called "inside information" to draft 3 RB's in the first 3 rounds. lol that was great cause i got Edgerin James and Chester Taylor. I didn't draft QB until round 6 and a WR until round 5. I got Hasselbeck and Darrel Jackson. Basicly my draft sucked. I accidently dropped Chester trying to drop Merques Colston in week 3. My bro picked him off the waivers and i didn't get him until week 10. I dropped Colston in week 3. VERY DUMB MOVE THERE. By week 10 i traded Shuan Alexander for Chester Taylor and dropped Edgerin James. I picked up Marion Barber. Barber performed well WHEN I DIDN'T START HIM!!! I picked up Tarvaris Jackson because my only other good QB that wasn't injured was Tony Romo. I did start him against Tampa when he got my 72 points but i STILL LOST!!! So basicly it was a long year for me of shame and embarassment.
So my questions
1. Should i pick up any Vikings Receivers for bench warmers and game day options? I thought about Williamson and Rice and maybe Bobby Wade.
2. I am thinking about getting Tarvaris Jackson. Anyone think i should not get him?
3. I won't probably have a top 5 pick so should i draft Reggie Bush in the First round? Or draft someone else.
4. Should i draft a RB in the first or a QB/WR if there is a great one there that would be better than a RB?
5. Should i Get Chester Taylor or Adrian Peterson if he is available?
6. We have the option this year to start 2 QB's, who do you think would be a more consitant starter week by week. Drew Brees or Tom Brady.
7. Last question... Who do you think i should draft at TE? Last year i had Kellen Winslow. He had a ton of yards but only 3 TD's.

Thanks for listening to this. I do forget that last year was my first year as a fantasy football player. Still it was pretty sad. :lol:
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

1. Should i pick up any Vikings Receivers for bench warmers and game day options? I thought about Williamson and Rice and maybe Bobby Wade.
2. I am thinking about getting Tarvaris Jackson. Anyone think i should not get him?
I lumped these together. From my experience, do not draft using your heart! If you have to ask whether to draft a HB or his backup, usually take neither until late because chances are they will share time. That said, if you had to pick between the two I think I'd take Peterson simply because I can see him getting the goal line carries. As far as who will be starting, or who will play when, seems a toss up to me at this point. But Taylor failed as a short yardage guy last year and I believe Peterson will be a lock for that this year. I could always be wrong though.
4. Should i draft a RB in the first or a QB/WR if there is a great one there that would be better than a RB?
Runningbacks are gold. There are usually only 32-40 that put up real solid numbers, and those are the starters. You can usually find #2 or #3 WR who will get a td now and then, you can't get the same out of #2 or #3 HBs. QBs are the same as HB, except you need one less starter in most leagues. And the difference between a 1st round HB an a 6th is A LOT bigger than between a 1st round QB and a 6th round QB. HB falls off fast, QB doesnt.
3. I won't probably have a top 5 pick so should i draft Reggie Bush in the First round? Or draft someone else.
Depends who's available. I think it'd be ok but I probably expect more out of him then some seem too.
6. We have the option this year to start 2 QB's, who do you think would be a more consitant starter week by week. Drew Brees or Tom Brady.
I'd go with Brees. A more open offense, and imo easier competition.
Last edited by Demi on Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Thankyou Demi
jackal
Strong Safety

basically

Post by jackal »

hardcore It's usually a bad idea to draft your own team
or bet on them.

1. I like to look at how consistent players are over a couple
years.

2. Don't get a lot of players that all have the same bye week
or all on the same team.

3. Look at the bigger picture when choosing a team don't get
locked one type of postion for example "running backs"
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
mefford76
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mefford76 »

i drafted running backs 3 in a row and had the first pick
1. LT
2. Kevin Jones
3. Frank Gore

Draft running backs. Especially now that there are even less premium backs. As for advice. Do a lot of research... A lot... And go with your gut in the end.
Canadian Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Canadian Viking »

mefford76 wrote:i drafted running backs 3 in a row and had the first pick
1. LT
2. Kevin Jones
3. Frank Gore

Draft running backs. Especially now that there are even less premium backs. As for advice. Do a lot of research... A lot... And go with your gut in the end.
You got Gore that late? That is a steal!

Kevin Jones is injured, isn't he?
mefford76
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mefford76 »

this was last year... not giving away my picks i am thinking about this year ;) i have the 5th pick.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

These questions are difficult to answer when not knowing how your league is setup (how many teams, scoring, etc.) For instance, Reggie Bush will be a much better choice if your league has points per reception.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Ok guys i had the 9th pick and here's how my draft went. It's ok...
1.Joseph Addai
2.Laurence Maroney
3.Adrian Peterson
4.Matt Leinart
5.Andre Johnson
6.Tony Gonzalez
7.Deion Branch
8.Jon Kitna
9.Vikings D/ST
10.Jamarcus Russell
11.Mike Bell
12.Mark Clayton
13.Matt Jones
14.Kevin Curtis
15.Dominic Rhodes
16.Greg Olsen
17.Josh Scobee
18.Panthers D/ST
19.Daniel Sepulveda (rookie punter)
20.Troy Williamson
21.Sidney Rice
22.Marcel Shipp

Notes: We start 2 RB's also 1 RB/WR
we have 10 people in the league.
we start 2 QB's
we start 3 WR's also 1 WR/TE
we start 1 TE
we start 1 D/ST
we start 1 Kicker
we start 1 Punter

Noone had a really great over powering draft it was kinda mixed. Yes i know i had bad choices but hey my 2nd year. Anyway tell me what you think of it.
mefford76
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mefford76 »

we told you not to pick vikings...
adrian peterson in round 3 is terrible IMO (round 5-6 would be OK)
Leinart in 4 is no good (Round 12 maybe)
the vikings D in round 9 is totally premature. think round 14, 12 earliest.
Jamarcus Russell isn't worth drafting. You should drop him ASAP and pick up anyone else on the waiver wire.
Matt Jones, is not worth drafting IMO
I've never heard of punters on a fantasy team. How do you score that?
Greg Olson isn't worth drafting IMO
And troy and rice are OK since at least you didn't blow your wad too soon on them.

I would drop Russell and one of the other guys I mentioned and pick up 2 QBs that actually are going to start in game 1. Other then what I mentioned you have some decent people.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Well in my league the defenses started to go earlier than i thought i and i need a good one almost all of the top 10 were gone. Peterson was going to by picked right after me and i really wanted him instead of Chester. Matt Jones still starts in Jacksonville (actually no. 1 receiver) I picked him up because i didn't want to draft another back up running back. I didn't mean to pick Leinart i wanted Eli Manning. Oh well i got Kitna lol. Well what you fail to understand is all the starting QB's are gone! I can't drop Jamarcus Russell. We start 2 QB's and there are ten people. Then comes the issue of the bench. so yeah there are really no starting QB's left. We never have played punter b4 something new this year. Greg Olsen is worth Drafting IMO. Not like he will starting for me i got Tony G. So yeah i can't drop very many people. There really isn't many starters out there at all.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

So start Leinart and Kitna...and find someone else, watch for injury possibilities, do something, because chances are almost nil that Russell sees the field. You need a guy to fill in on bye week if nothing else!
Canadian Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Canadian Viking »

Demi wrote:So start Leinart and Kitna...and find someone else, watch for injury possibilities, do something, because chances are almost nil that Russell sees the field. You need a guy to fill in on bye week if nothing else!
I agree. Kitna and Leinart both have good opportunities to put up decent points this year.

Addai and Maroney should be good, but Peterson is obviously a "wait and see" player. I don't see a third back that I'dbe comfortable with, but keep an eye on the waivers -- you don't need to carry two punters.

Johnson and Branch should be solid but I'd be concerned beyond that. There is potential amongst the group and I know that it is not possible to have studs at each position, but I think that this could be your weak spot. Perhaps Clayton, Jones or Williams will surprise, though.

I like the vikes d/st.

Gonzo should have another good year and Olsen could be solid as Chicago used their TE a fair bit last year.

Overall, I'd say that you have a solid group of starters, but you really need another RB.
Colinito
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Colinito »

Pretty good draft for you.

Yes, the hardest thing is not to find the guys you like, but to get value on them. Like last year, you said you got Taylor in round 3. Well I got Taylor in round 5. I know others who got him in round 6. That's value. I like Adrian Peterson this year too, but you took him way early. Third round is a prime time to get a top receiver. Peterson could probably be snagged in the 5th round.

What I did like about your draft is that you went for top tier guys at each position. You went for Gonzalez early. I would have gone for a DST one round earlier and got a choice one. Then you could wait and see if Vikings DST fell a few rounds. I can't believe you got Williamson that late. That ought to help with your WR depth.
vikingsfrenzy
Backup

Re: Question Concerning Fantasy Draft

Post by vikingsfrenzy »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: 2. I am thinking about getting Tarvaris Jackson. Anyone think i should not get him?
7. Last question... Who do you think i should draft at TE? Last year i had Kellen Winslow. He had a ton of yards but only 3 TD's.
2 - This would be a big risk in my opinion. Right now he doesn't have any proven receivers to go to. If he's having a few good games and receivers are doing well, then jump on him. But I would stay away for now...
3 - Go for the best RB available in round 1. For rounds 2 & 3, I would go with the best available. I wouldn't leap for a QB unless it's P. Manning or T. Brady.
4 - Go with a RB. Hands down.
5 - For a backup, I would but after you get 2 other solid runners. These two will be competing for carries which will effect the other.
6 - If you can grab Heap or Gates, go for it, but wait until the 3-4th round at the earliest.