Transformers

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Transformers

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Anyone seen this yet? Iw was actually pretty good. Way better than I thought it was going to be.

Josh
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
jackal
Strong Safety

yes

Post by jackal »

Honestly I wasn't expecting to enjoy it at all.

I thought the special effects were awesome and the
way the integrated the story to the movie was pretty good.

The girl in the movie was stunning which is always a good thing
IMO

I am glad I went with my sons to see it
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Punisher
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Punisher »

Yeah, I thought it was just going to be an action movie, but they put a lot of humor into it. Way better then expected.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: yes

Post by PurpleMustReign »

jackal wrote:The girl in the movie was stunning which is always a good thing
IMO

Yes, she was...yes she was... :thumbsup: :dude:
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I thought it was better than I was expecting too.

Although the GM sponsorship made it feel a little too much like a big commercial. The new camaro is really nice though and what a way to hype a new car. Funny how the Saleen Mustang was the bad guy too.
Minniman
Hall of Famer

Post by Minniman »

I have not seen it. It was Harry Potter release week, and my family is really into that.

Transformers is a film that the critics really have not liked, but the people who I know that have seen it have liked it more than they thought they would.

Oh yes, Megan Fox is very nice to look at.
We come from the land of the ice and snow .... :smilevike:
mefford76
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mefford76 »

the ads look so bad that I don't want to go and the reviews have been bad to. i am going to wait for video.
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Minniman wrote:I have not seen it. It was Harry Potter release week, and my family is really into that.

Transformers is a film that the critics really have not liked, but the people who I know that have seen it have liked it more than they thought they would.

Oh yes, Megan Fox is very nice to look at.
I saw Harry Potter in the theater as well. I was pretty happy with it overall, of course most critics I've seen have trashed it as well. Also if you've read the book, you'll be a little disappointed, but in all fairness there is quite a bit to fit in to a few hours.

I've heard a lot of "better than I expected" about Transformers too. I'm trying to figure out if it's because it was a decent movie or if it was because expectations were just THAT low.
Minniman
Hall of Famer

Post by Minniman »

I saw Harry Potter in the theater as well. I was pretty happy with it overall, of course most critics I've seen have trashed it as well. Also if you've read the book, you'll be a little disappointed, but in all fairness there is quite a bit to fit in to a few hours.
I usually see the movie and then read the book, but I needed to be up to speed for the Deathly Hallows, or I could be hit with too many spoilers. That makes the Order of the Phoenix the first film I have seen after reading the book.

It is much less fun that way, as so many good things have been left out, and the director changed things that take the same time to do on screen as the original way in the book.
I've heard a lot of "better than I expected" about Transformers too. I'm trying to figure out if it's because it was a decent movie or if it was because expectations were just THAT low.
Consider the source. How many people still went to the film after seeing the trailers?

The movie looks like a typical shallow CGI action film from Michael Bay to me. Then again, I really liked The Island.
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

Minniman wrote:[ Consider the source. How many people still went to the film after seeing the trailers?

The movie looks like a typical shallow CGI action film from Michael Bay to me. Then again, I really liked The Island.
I was expecting just that, but there was actually a story to it. Most of it was very good and was surprisingly funny. Bay even poked fun at himself with a joke about Armageddon (the joke was very inside, most people wouldn't catch it.)

The final battle kind of dragged on for too long IMO, but it was only about 10 minutes of the movie that I was board with.

I thought it would be a waste of time and only went because my brother wanted to, but it turned out to be one of the best superhero/comic genre movies in recent years (which isn't saying a lot I guess because most of them suck besides the Xmen movies.)

So far its the second best movie I've seen in the last few months (a far second behind Die Hard 4 which I absolutely loved), but I don't see a crap load of movies in the theater either.
TrenchGoon
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by TrenchGoon »

"I miss you more,
than Michael Bay missed the mark when he made Pearl Harbor"

--Team America: World Police
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

TrenchGoon wrote:"I miss you more,
than Michael Bay missed the mark when he made Pearl Harbor"

--Team America: World Police
LOL, Bay has made some real stinkers including two of the worst movies in the last decade (Armageddon and Pearl Harbor). All the more reason to be surprised by Transformers.

I did like The Rock and Bad Boys though. Haven't seen The Island or Bad Boys II.
Minniman
Hall of Famer

Post by Minniman »

wang_chi7 wrote:Haven't seen The Island ....
The Island wouldn't be half as good if Ewan McGregor wasn't as good an actor as he is.

Scarlett Johansson is also in The Island, but she's in half the movies on the big screen, and she isn't either a great actress or all that great looking. She does a good job in the film though.

Alas, even McGregor could not save the Star Wars epic from being taken into the muck.
TrenchGoon
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by TrenchGoon »

Those new starwars movies are really god awful.

I suspect you'll have argument about scarlett johansson (sp?) not being all that good looking, but it won't come from me.
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

TrenchGoon wrote:Those new starwars movies are really god awful.

I suspect you'll have argument about scarlett johansson (sp?) not being all that good looking, but it won't come from me.
I liked Episode III quite a bit. I liked II the first time I saw it but don't like it now. Episode I is just terrible.

I would rank the SW movies as:
1. Empire
2. New Hope
(distant) 3. Revenge of Sith
4. tie- Jedi and Ep. II
5. Episode I

As you can see I didn't care much for Jedi either; if I'm going to watch a Star Wars movie its definitely going to be Empire or the original. I might watch the others every few years.