Tips for visiting Vikings fans

Check here for Game Tickets and Tailgate happenings! Plus Travel Information for your stay during the game.

Moderator: Moderators

John
Bartender/Retired

Tips for visiting Vikings fans

Post by John »

We get posts from fans asking where to stay, park, eat, drink, camp and tailgate. Each time there are a few great replies... stuff we should remember, but don't. We should start a Visiting Fans FAQ with comments on the various places as they come in, it would help them out. The Vikings site doesn't even offer that information...

Do we have anyone here who would care to take on that task? Help wanted.

Reply here or PM me if you're interested.

John
Kansas Viking
Starship Commander

Post by Kansas Viking »

Here are several places that I personally know of and have ate at or stayed in the past and can vouch for, with comments in Italics. I have provided links where applicable but all you really have to do is type them into Google and you can get all the info you need. I have some others to post here but these were all I had time for right now. If anyone else has some places to suggest, post them here in this thread. John and I would like to get enough that we can move them to their own forum where people can use them as a reference.

Lodging

Days Inn MINNEAPOLIS
2407 University Avenue SE
Minneapolis, MN, 55414 US
612-623-3999

Days Inn Website

Take I-494 West to I-35W North (approximately 10 miles) to University Avenue Exit, turn right/east (approximately 1 mile). Hotel will be on the right.

I-94
From I-94, take the Huron Blvd. exit, go approximately 4 blocks to Washington Avenue turn right go 1 block to University Ave., turn right. Hotel will be on the left.

From I-35W
Take the University Ave. exit, go East 1 mile, hotel will be on the left.

The Days Inn is where I stay now. I used to stay at the Econo Lodge there on Campus, but they are no longer open. It's a decent place and reasonably priced. Most times it's $99 through Days Inn's website or $61 from Expedia if the days you want are available. Walking distance to both Sally's and Big 10, along with most of the U of M Campus.

Radisson Hotel Metrodome
615 Washington Avenue S.E., Minneapolis Minnesota 55414, US
Reservations: (800) 333-3333
Telephone: (612) 379-8888 Fax: (612) 379-8682
Email: rhmsales@usinternet.com
Link

Holiday Inn Metrodome
1500 Washington Ave S.
Minneapolis,
Minnesota 55454
For Reservations only:
1-800-448-DOME(3663)
• Easily accessible from both I-35W and I-94
• 12 miles (15 minutes) to Minneapolis International Airport
• 1/2 mile to downtown Minneapolis Business District
• 1.5 miles to Convention Center
• 10 Miles to Mall of America
• Five blocks to Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome
http://www.metrodome.com/

Both the Radisson and Holiday Inn can be pricey at times, but if you want a really good place to stay, these places are it. My personal favorite is the Radisson. I have paid anywhere from $90 to $135 a night there. If you are going to go to just one game, I highly recommend it. They also have a shuttle to and from the Dome. The Holiday Inn is within walking distance.

Food and Drink

Sally's Saloon and Eatery
712 Washington Ave. SE
Sally's is located in the heart of the University, and features occasional live music and frequent drink specials.
http://www.sallyssaloon.com/

Big 10 Restaurant & Bar
606 Washington Ave. SE
The Big 10 Restaurant & Bar serves up great subs, burgers, and wings, and also plenty of brew.

JOE SENSER'S SPORTS GRILL & BAR
4217 West 80th Street, Bloomington, Minnesota - 952-835-1191
3110 Eagandale Place, Eagan, Minnesota - 651-687-9333
2350 Cleveland Avenue, Roseville, Minnesota - 651-631-1781
http://www.twincitiesdiningguide.com/re ... s_bars.htm

Bullwinkle's Saloon 1429 Washington Avenue South
612-338-8520 Minneapolis, Minnesota 55454

Both Sally's and Big 10 are excellent places for Saturday night and after game dining. There are quite a number of places to eat on the Campus but these two top my list. Depending on where you are staying, Joe Senser's is a great place also. Excellent food and I know several people who have seen Viking players there and gotten autographs and pictures. If it is a Saturday and you have very many people, I would suggest you make a reservation. If you are staying at the Holiday Inn Metrodome, give Bullwinkle's a try. Right across the street and a really cool place.

Johnny Road Trip
http://www.johnnyroadtrip.com/cities/mi ... stbars.htm

And lastly, here is a link to Johnny Road Trip. Excellent site with several places Downtown to eat at. I can't vouch for all of them, but if you have eaten at any of them, post your comments here.
Last edited by Kansas Viking on Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mike

John
Bartender/Retired

Post by John »

I did a little cleaning here to reduce the thread to travel & visitor related information.

We'd really appreciate more input here from everyone. The thread will grow I hope. Suggestions of where to stay and eat, other points of interest are welcome. Also, feel free to post comments both pro and con on all.

This thread will be edited from time to time, but remains open for conversation.

John
Falconfan

Post by Falconfan »

We're coming up in Sept. for the Falcons game. As we'll be in out motorhome we don't need a place to stay, but everyone I ask about what to see or do Friday & Saturday says "Mall of America". While I'm sure it's a great mall, hey - it's still a mall. I want to taste & experience the unique things that give an area it's identity. An ideas?

Thanks-
Jeff
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

Falconfan wrote:We're coming up in Sept. for the Falcons game. As we'll be in out motorhome we don't need a place to stay, but everyone I ask about what to see or do Friday & Saturday says "Mall of America". While I'm sure it's a great mall, hey - it's still a mall. I want to taste & experience the unique things that give an area it's identity. An ideas?

Thanks-
Jeff
I believe the Renaissance Festival in Shakopee (south side of the Twin Cities) will still be going on that weekend. You could always check and see if Prairie Home Companion is taping their show at the Fitzgerald Theater in St. Paul that Saturday night. Will you be driving up Highway 61 from La Crosse, or will you be coming in via I-94 through Eau Claire? The drive up Highway 61 is beautiful that time of year, and if you like small town shopping, Red Wing is a nice place to stop. You could gamble at Mystic Lake in Shakopee.

Hope this stimulates some thoughts!

BGM
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
Falconfan

Post by Falconfan »

Looks like we'll be headed in on I-94, although all things are negotiable. We aren't towing a car this trip so the things we do basically need to be a reasonable distance via cab. Mass transit is cool too as long as it's somewhat convenient to where we are going and where we are parked. If something really great was going on I guess we could rent a car if that's what was required, but that's not our first choice. We wish this trip was a few weeks later so that we could catch the leaves changing, but the scheduling gods would not have it that way.
Swaps
Career Elite Player

Post by Swaps »

You can hang out with my roommates and me! We can grill up a mean burger, and the neighbor guys usually throw a good party with some goooooooog lookin' chicks! :-D

Other then that. There is the Walker Art Museum on campus, The MN Zoo, natural history museum etc.
You can base jump off the IDS tower if you're bored.
What do you think of my Defense Now?!??! BWRAAARRRGGGG!!
I look good in purple! - Jared Allen
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Swaps wrote:You can hang out with my roommates and me! We can grill up a mean burger, and the neighbor guys usually throw a good party with some goooooooog lookin' chicks! :-D

Other then that. There is the Walker Art Museum on campus, The MN Zoo, natural history museum etc.
You can base jump off the IDS tower if you're bored.
Lol if i ever come to your place that would be awesome :)
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Falconfan

Post by Falconfan »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: Lol if i ever come to your place that would be awesome :)
Back up junior.... I believe that invite was directed to ME!!! :lol:
tboltzcali
Practice Squad

Post by tboltzcali »

Hey guys, Im planning to visit a friend that lives out that way and also to watch the chargers take on the vikes. Im not sure if my friend has any info on tailgating as well. Can you give me a heads up on the areas of tailgating? I have been searching the vikings websites and cant come across anything. I would appreciate as much info as possible. Hopefully we all can get together and have a good time.
Kansas Viking
Starship Commander

Post by Kansas Viking »

tboltzcali wrote:Hey guys, Im planning to visit a friend that lives out that way and also to watch the chargers take on the vikes. Im not sure if my friend has any info on tailgating as well. Can you give me a heads up on the areas of tailgating? I have been searching the vikings websites and cant come across anything. I would appreciate as much info as possible. Hopefully we all can get together and have a good time.
We are hoping to have a place to tailgate this year. Tailgating in Minnesota has been up in the air all year. Check out this thread and it will answer a lot of your questions. We are hoping to know more in the next couple of weeks.

http://www.vikingsmessageboard.com/view ... hp?t=13706
Mike

tboltzcali
Practice Squad

Post by tboltzcali »

Yeah, I read that thread and all it sounds is like hopes of bringing tailgating back. It will suck if they cant come out with a plan. Tailgating is pretty much the best part of the whole experience. If there isnt decent tailgating, are there any bars or restaurants open around the stadium to get together? Im probably going to be rollin 20 deep.
mikesvikes28

viking/ charger game

Post by mikesvikes28 »

i too am traveling to the vikes/charger game. i the viking fan will be with a charger fan and looking for a place to tailgate/party before the game. i was at a game there about 4 years ago and there was a cool sports bar across from the metrodome. it opened up about 2 hours before game and was pretty fun. i ended up sharing a hi top table with donnie abrahams (a tb db )family. i was hoping it was still there and was just looking for a good place to party before game.
tboltzcali
Practice Squad

Post by tboltzcali »

Are there any bars near the stadium??
jackal
Strong Safety

Re: Tips for visiting Vikings fans

Post by jackal »

This is what i learned from last year.

You don't need a rental car in minnesota if your only intrested in the Mall of America and the Metrodome.

The light rail runs from the airport and all the way to the Mall of America in Bloomington. I recomend staying
in Bloomington or somewhere along the light rail or downtown.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!