Tour de France

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

Minniman
Hall of Famer

Tour de France

Post by Minniman »

If I have been away from this board as of late, it is because it is Tour time.

2 1/2 weeks in, and there is no clear winner. This is a great tour!

One more day in the Alps, a flat stage on Friday, and a time trial on Saturday will give the yellow jersey to a rider that has never won it before.

Floyd Landis cracked on the Alps today. It is likely over for him and his yellow jersey challenge.

Minniman
We come from the land of the ice and snow .... :smilevike:
Mr. X
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Tour de France

Post by Mr. X »

Minniman wrote: Floyd Landis cracked on the Alps today. It is likely over for him and his yellow jersey challenge.Minniman
I was disappointed to hear that Landis dropped back in the climb stages in the Alps. The mountain climbing is where Armstrong would pull away and increase is lead.

Landis is going to have hip replacement surgery after the Tour. He has the same ailment as Bo Jackson had. It's really quite amazing that he was able to compete as well as he has with that type of ailment.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Much better race when steroid users either retire, or get kicked out huh?
Mr. X
Hall of Fame Inductee

Whoa --- Landis making a comeback

Post by Mr. X »

Don't count out Floyd Landis just yet. He made a huge move today winning the final Alpine stage and is now just 30 seconds back from the leader. He went from 11th to 3rd. Things are definitely getting interesting in this year's Tour.
Minniman
Hall of Famer

Re: Whoa --- Landis making a comeback

Post by Minniman »

Mr. X wrote:Don't count out Floyd Landis just yet. He made a huge move today winning the final Alpine stage and is now just 30 seconds back from the leader. He went from 11th to 3rd. Things are definitely getting interesting in this year's Tour.
What Floyd Landis did today was a big time event in the history of the Tour de France! I had to get up pretty early to watch it live, but it was worth it. This is a great race!

Carlos Sastre move himself up to just 11 seconds down as well.

If the flat stage on Friday and the time trial on Saturday do not prove definitive, the race into Paris may actually be a big stage with the yellow jersey at stake.

Minniman
DeeEss57
All Pro Elite Player

Post by DeeEss57 »

Minniman wrote:What Floyd Landis did today was a big time event in the history of the Tour de France! I had to get up pretty early to watch it live, but it was worth it. This is a great race!
I haven't watched any of it, but I've made sure to check for the results on ESPN News every day. Good for Landis and I hope he wins (of course).

Dawn
Don't make me get the flying monkeys.
Minniman
Hall of Famer

Post by Minniman »

DeeEss57 wrote: I haven't watched any of it, but I've made sure to check for the results on ESPN News every day. Good for Landis and I hope he wins (of course).
If anyone has OLN (Outdoor Life Network), the prime time coverage tonight (7-10pm Central) will be worth watching.

Even if you missed the rest, this day was really cool.

Minniman
DanAS1
Hall of Famer

Post by DanAS1 »

Minniman wrote: What Floyd Landis did today was a big time event in the history of the Tour de France! I had to get up pretty early to watch it live, but it was worth it. This is a great race!

Carlos Sastre move himself up to just 11 seconds down as well.

If the flat stage on Friday and the time trial on Saturday do not prove definitive, the race into Paris may actually be a big stage with the yellow jersey at stake.

Minniman
I thought there was an unwritten rule that the bikers don't really race to Paris -- they glide in, holding their position. Does that not apply when the race is close, as this one might be?
jackal
Strong Safety

I know

Post by jackal »

I know cycling takes amazing endurance and involves
considerable teamwork. I am just not into that much. That
was a major wreck that took out those two guys last week
though. The one guy flipped over the gurad rail. I am sorry they got hurt.
but it was amazing piece of film.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Sackmeifyoucan
Veteran

Re: I know

Post by Sackmeifyoucan »

jackal wrote:I know cycling takes amazing endurance and involves
considerable teamwork. .
I ride the MS 150 from Duluth to White Bear every year.
This is a MEASLY LITTLE 150 mile ride...
and without enough training...I'm half dead.

It is truly amazing to me what these riders go through...with or without roids.

I have been doing it for so many years, I learned to pick a decent speed and stick with it as opposed to starting at it flying as fast as you can...or even a little more fast than you should be going...and then...running out of gas before getting to the finish line.
It's a really hard thing to judge.

It literally took me years to figure out my ideal speed.

Those people are endurance GODS!!!

Sackman
NFC NORTH
Minniman
Hall of Famer

Post by Minniman »

I thought there was an unwritten rule that the bikers don't really race to Paris -- they glide in, holding their position. Does that not apply when the race is close, as this one might be?
Usually, the last stage is flat and not relatively long, so it would be very difficult to gain time on the race leader on that stage. If the points competition for the sprinter's green jersey is close, then there is quite a bit of action up front, but otherwise it is rather tame.

If the race is close, within a minute, then all bets are off. In 1989, the final ride into Paris was a time trial, and Greg Lemond finish just 8 seconds inside the the time of Laurent Fignot after starting the day 58 second back. It was the closest Tour de France ever and the last time a time trial was scheduled on the final day.

The top three riders are within 30 seconds of each other going into today's time trial (set to begin in 45 minutes from now). If two or three riders end up that close at the end of the day, then the race to Paris on Sunday may have some action on the road.

Minniman
Minniman
Hall of Famer

Post by Minniman »

Floyd Landis has done it!

Oscar Pereiro could not hold on!

The difference is 59 seconds. There is almost no way that any rider would try to do an attack with that time. There are unwritten rules, and no one is close enough to allow the teams to consider this.

Minniman
DeeEss57
All Pro Elite Player

Post by DeeEss57 »

Minniman wrote:The difference is 59 seconds. There is almost no way that any rider would try to do an attack with that time. There are unwritten rules, and no one is close enough to allow the teams to consider this.

What's the difference between Lemond being behind by 58 seconds and making a move to win by :08 in 1989 and now?

Dawn
Don't make me get the flying monkeys.
Mr. X
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Mr. X »

Minniman wrote:Floyd Landis has done it!
Oscar Pereiro could not hold on!
The difference is 59 seconds. There is almost no way that any rider would try to do an attack with that time. There are unwritten rules, and no one is close enough to allow the teams to consider this.
Minniman
What a tremendous comeback by Landis. One for the ages.

Another American is going to win the Tour. I can just imagine all the groaning in France over the sight of another American on the victory stand in Paris. Wonder how long before the French press will accuse Landis of using EPO with a new masking agent that is unknown to the world?

I also wonder if Floyd is going to go forward with his planned hip replacement surgery. Remember, Landis' hip is so bad that he walks with a limp and he cannot even get on his bike from the left side.
Kansas Viking
Starship Commander

Post by Kansas Viking »

Mr. X wrote:What a tremendous comeback by Landis. One for the ages.
I agree. That is a tremendous feat for a perfectly healthy athlete, let alone a guy with mush for a hip joint. I ride my bike 12 miles round trip to work as many days a week as I can. I have the utmost respect for anyone with the ability to ride 3K miles in the mountains of France. Especially someone with an injury. What a great win.
Mike