How does being a sports fan benefit your life?

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

How does being a sports fan benefit your life?

Post by fiestavike »

I have to admit that I've been struggling with this lately. Maybe its just the point I am at in my life, having a family and young children. Having a career and trying to run my own business and work for myself also takes a lot of time. In any case, my biggest "time waster" is being a sports fan, and lately I'm asking myself why?

I'm not sure how it benefits me. What do I get out of it? In any sport, no matter what your team is, most seasons are going to end in disaster. Only 1 team gets the ultimate prize and all the rest are left frustrated. The way that the NFL in particular has changed really robs me of much of the joy the game gave me in the past and has replaced it with irritation at almost every call. Its diminished the role of all that was ennobling about the sport and replaced it with "points", "safety", and "excitement".

I've just kind of had it, and yet its difficult to move on. I just wonder if anyone relates to this or has a take on it from their own experience. How does being a sports fan benefit your life?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: How does being a sports fan benefit your life?

Post by Mothman »

I relate. I run my own business too and being a fan can definitely take up time. Consequently, while I still pay some attention to other sports, I focus mainly on football and I listen to games as often as I watch them, because I can work or do other things while listening. Like you, I feel the NFL has changed to a point where I find it less enjoyable than I once did, although I still really enjoy it.

As for how being a sports fan benefits my life... I think the primary benefit is a social one, although sports can obviously be entertaining or even exhilarating to watch. I've made many good friends over the years who I never would have met or bonded with if not for a mutual interest in sports. I've enjoyed casual, and deeper, discussions with almost complete strangers over sports too. When a local team does well, especially if you're a fan of that team, it's great to see how it brings a community together, how excited and friendly people become. I experienced that here in Chicago with the Bulls (during the Jordan years) and more recently with the White Sox and Blackhawks. A mutual interest in sports helped me bond with my stepfather and with my nephew.

So, ultimately, I think the way it helps people connect, develop friendships, etc. is the biggest benefit.
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

This is my connection to my childhood and my dad, who still lives out in Minnesota. It gives he and I a reason to talk a lot longer on the phone every time I call. He's a typically tightlipped man of Norwegian descent...he wouldn't tell me if he proposed to his new girlfriend unless I asked. :)

As for my childhood, right before I left Minnesota for Oregon, I got hooked on sports. Began playing team sports instead of individual stuff like I did when I was younger. I saw the value in having sports as a distraction from all the things that, when thought about too deeply, would make you want to start drinking at 8am every day. As for me, it just seemed easier to stay a fan of all those teams that I sort of crystallized my attachment to back when I was 14. I guess I just felt that if I kept changing my affiliation, maybe sports would lose that deeper connection and it wouldn't work as well as a distraction to me. I wouldn't have as much emotionally invested or years of support behind it to make it matter as much.
-Rus
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Thank you for the feedback guys. I have attempted to use it as a distraction as well Rus, but I'm just not as interested in being distracted as I'm constantly struggling to be more productive these days. I love the idea of the social aspect and I think that's a good point, however as an out of state fan, I essentially don't have much community to engage with as a Vikings fan except on this board. I do enjoy talking with some of you here a lot though!
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:Thank you for the feedback guys. I have attempted to use it as a distraction as well Rus, but I'm just not as interested in being distracted as I'm constantly struggling to be more productive these days. I love the idea of the social aspect and I think that's a good point, however as an out of state fan, I essentially don't have much community to engage with as a Vikings fan except on this board. I do enjoy talking with some of you here a lot though!
I'm in the same boat, although even though I don't talk to a lot of fellow Vikings fans locally, I do enjoy talking football with other NFL fans. It probably helps that I live in an NFC North city.

I deal with the same battle to be productive so I can sympathize with you there.
Dirtyswabby
Starter

Post by Dirtyswabby »

Escape from reality, sense of purpose, feeling of being involved in something larger than myself, pissing off the wife.....take your pick
Representing the Vikings In Raleigh, NC
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Had to laugh at some of these comments, pissing off wife :rock:

I think for me it allows me to forget about normal day to day for a few hours each week..

I don't watch nearly as much Football, as I once did, but I still enjoy rooting for the nobody players who
against the odds, and live their dreams. The A.P. thing killed me this year and made me re consider giving
up on all pro sports. My work schedule changed this year again and I DVR games mostly.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Wild Bill
Transition Player

Post by Wild Bill »

I like the social aspects of being a fan. Sports conversations can be a lot of fun. I have friends in my life for many years that I would hardly know if not for sports. Watching live events are such a blast! I have several memories that still play visually in my head very clearly. The tension of a final play shared with a good friend or family member is such a bonding experience that you remember fondly YEARS later. My brother in law recently spoke about a MLB playoff game he saw recently with his 11 or so year old son. The grin on his sons face at the winning moment will be a memory for both to cherish forever. I remember when my dad retired we went to spring training games together wow me and dad together like when I was a boy all those years later.....PRICELESS!!!!!
Wild Bill
"Sometimes We Live No Particular Way But Our Own"...Hunter,Garcia
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Cool topic Fiesta.

I like the sense of community around team sports at any level. Sharing in common goals that require us to want others do well so we all succeed in the end.

I think pro-sports loses some of the finer points of that bonding community building foundation to where it does get to be a distraction.

The focus shifts and people get jaded and cycnical.

I just read something about bread and circuses in a debate about what are some of the actual problems in our society. The interesting point wasn't that the entertainment and distraction are wrong but people not recognizing that they are distracted and emotionally reliant on it is a problem.

I saw about two games this season just due to necessity for other things going on.

If I had kids I'd be way more into local amateur stuff...evning coaching, not so much pro sports.

I think maybe we forget what is important sometimes due to unmet expectations. Something Vikings fans have plenty of.

I've reduced my pro sports expectations to 'entertainment first'....so it's there when I have the time and it's become more of a treat than an entitlement or expectation.