Love Traded - Future of the Timberwolves

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Love Traded - Future of the Timberwolves

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... ive-years/
The Minnesota Timberwolves have reached an agreement in principle to send All-Star forward Kevin Love to the Cleveland Cavaliers for Andrew Wiggins, Anthony Bennett and a protected 2015 first-round draft pick, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
Possible Thad Young trade too?
If they’re are really desperate to unload the trio, the Timberwolves could always offer draft picks as sweeteners. Or maybe they can attach one to Bennett in a Thaddeus Young trade. The 76ers have the cap room to absorb a bad contract (or three) if it nets a positive asset
Honestly, I have to say, this is quite the deal for Minnesota. They are getting a lot for a player that was going to walk away after the season anyway. Unfortunately, one cannot help but think all of this could have been avoided if we had just signed Love to a max contract back a few years ago. The team looks to have plenty of young talent for once. Hopefully Flip can coach this team up. Still, this team no longer has a superstar caliber player on the roster. This team definitely will not be sniffing the playoffs this season. All a fan can hope for is that this team shows enough promise that they can attract free agents next offseason.

All that being said, I am looking forward to the T-Wolves' new youth movement. What do you guys think about the direction of the T-Wolves?
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Love Traded - Future of the Timberwolves

Post by PurpleMustReign »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:What do you guys think about the direction of the T-Wolves?
The hiring of David Kahn years ago set the franchise back about 5 years from when he was let go. He, and Taylor, ruined the Timberwolves. They will have to be careful because there will be very little interest in them if they have another lottery season. The majority of th fanbase, including myself, have moved on to the other teams in the market, including the Lynx.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
NDVikeFan
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by NDVikeFan »

Young team and they should be exciting to watch. Hopefully they can get 30-35 wins this year and build on that.

Wiggins could be a stud and if they can convince him to stick around 8-10 years we could be seeing the start of something special right now.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

I am curious to see how Wiggins and LaVine will play together. I wonder if us swinging Wiggins now has made LaVine a bit more excited to be on this team?

Also, I think the Thad Young trade will be beneficial. We don't need another guard on this team, so flipping Bennet for Young is a great move.
NDVikeFan
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by NDVikeFan »

Will Thad Young resign? I thought I read somewere he is only under contact for a year.

If he bolts after a year this trade doesn't look as good. I'd rather take Bennet.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

NDVikeFan wrote:Will Thad Young resign? I thought I read somewere he is only under contact for a year.

If he bolts after a year this trade doesn't look as good. I'd rather take Bennet.
That is hard to say. We would more than likely have the space to resign Young - assuming we don't screw the pooch and give a huge deal to Ricky Rubio. Honestly, this Young trade kinda came out of nowhere. I am not sure if Young would be willing to resign or not.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11397 ... -cavaliers
CLEVELAND -- Kevin Love is finally teaming up with LeBron James.

The Minnesota Timberwolves, Cleveland Cavaliers and Philadelphia 76ers completed a delayed blockbuster trade Saturday that's been talked about for months and on hold for 30 days. Love, arguably the game's best power forward, is headed from Minnesota to Cleveland, where he will join James and instantly make the Cavs an NBA title favorite.

The Timberwolves are getting No. 1 overall pick Andrew Wiggins and former top pick Anthony Bennett from Cleveland, veteran forward Thaddeus Young from Philadelphia and a $6.3 million trade exception.

The 76ers get a 2015 first-round draft choice, guard Alexey Shved and forward Luc Richard Mbah a Moute from Minnesota.
Trade is official now. I am glad to see that Minnesota kept Bennet and still added Thad Young.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

I thought this was an excellent trade. very happy with what we got in return for love. he was leaving anyway. and as much as I loved the guy, we weren't making the playoffs with him anyway. we got real young and real athletic and I think not only will we be far more exciting to watch but we're close to being a playoff caliber team. if on;y we were in the east...we'd be like a 5-seed. :D

I'm disappointed in taylors comments however. just sounds like a whiney baby imo. and I thought he did his own franchise a disservice by calling out loves ability (or lack thereof) to play defense. he made it sound like #### defense flies in Minnesota but LeBron and Cleveland won't tolerate it! well why the hell do the wolves?! just a terrible mindset in my opinion and I'd like to see him worry more about all the young talent we have on our roster than what they are doing in Cleveland.

chalk me up as VERY excited to see what this team is capable of...even though I know there will be learning curves and growing pains.

ok, enough of that. it's football season babay! :v): :v):
i'm ready for a beer.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

chalk me up as VERY excited to see what this team is capable of...even though I know there will be learning curves and growing pains.
Not a huge (or even average) NBA fan, but I'll tune in and follow it a bit closer then before. Some real potential, interesting to see how Flip does and how well he can develop the team.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

Demi wrote: Not a huge (or even average) NBA fan, but I'll tune in and follow it a bit closer then before. Some real potential, interesting to see how Flip does and how well he can develop the team.
i think there are going to many in your same boat demi. i was already excited about levine. wiggins is an unbelievable talent. i'm not sure what happened to bennett this year but he was incredible when i saw him live in college. kevin martin showed he's a pure scorer. still got pek in the paint and i think he'd have been an all-star had he not gotten injured last year. thaddeus young is real good and i believe a steal in this entire trade. and my homer pick is mo williams. love that guy.

i'm not sure the wins will come right away but i think we'll surely be one of the most exciting teams in the league this season. :rock:
i'm ready for a beer.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

See how it plans out. Likely would have been a good idea to do something similar with Mauer and AD at similar points in their careers. Probably a good thing for the Twolves that Love forced their hand.
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

Demi wrote:See how it plans out. Likely would have been a good idea to do something similar with Mauer and AD at similar points in their careers.
No to AD but yes to Mauer. Joe is making 23million per season for the next four years, probably the most overpaid player in the league based on his lackluster production this season. I'm sure he'll bounce back and have good seasons in the future because hitters with his style and approach can have long careers, but that is just too much freakin' money to be paying to a first baseman who isn't crushing HRs and driving in a ton of runs.

I can't wait to see how Rubio plays with these two rookies Wiggins and LaVine. Seems like they might now have the kind of athleticism around Ricky that can really unlock his potential. Love is a great offensive player but maybe not the best match for Ricky. We could really start to see some exciting stuff.