View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:12 pm



Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 The Vikings/Kluwe off-topic thread. Civil Discussion Only 
Author Message
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:23 pm
Posts: 1736
Location: Alabama
Post Re: The Vikings/Kluwe off-topic thread. Civil Discussion Onl
I'm not even going to get into this again because for some reason most people have this concept that people are born with their sexual preferences. So in other words that is saying we as humans don't have the ability to change our sexual preferences. I find that ridiculous.


Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:40 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:26 pm
Posts: 4013
Location: Northeast, Iowa
Post Re: The Vikings/Kluwe off-topic thread. Civil Discussion Onl
King James wrote:
I'm not even going to get into this again because for some reason most people have this concept that people are born with their sexual preferences. So in other words that is saying we as humans don't have the ability to change our sexual preferences. I find that ridiculous.


Could you change your sexual preference or possibly just your sexual activities? (There is a difference.) If you could not wake up one day being solely attracted to men--and no longer to women--what makes you think other people can...or should? Or heck, maybe your sexual preference does change as the weather does, since it. is. just. that. easy? Do you like the sexy ladies in the summer but a big, sexy warm cuddly man in the winter? lol See how ridiculous that is? Extreme example of course, but you can't turn sexual preference on and off like a light switch. Some things just make sense, ya know? Well, and some things don't. Forget the scientific studies suggesting that people are, indeed, born that way, it just makes sense. Why would someone choose it? Why? Is there some sort of benefit? Doubt it, since there is MUCH more negativity associated with homosexuality. Even YOU can agree with that. So why would someone choose to be discriminated against, criticized for their lifestyle by a good portion of the world, disowned by their own fricken families, etc.? Use your head, James. Please. It doesn't even seem logical that it is a choice. Does it?

_________________
Image


Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:06 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:26 pm
Posts: 4013
Location: Northeast, Iowa
Post Re: The Vikings/Kluwe off-topic thread. Civil Discussion Onl
King James wrote:
Well by law it says that all races should be treated equal but we know that is not reality. lol You have your good Christians and bad ones. Don't let the bad ones convince you that all Christian are just some hypocritical people who hate or others who are not like them. SOME people use their religion to discriminate but it's not up for them to decide whether a gay person is going to hell or not.

This world will never be 100% equal no matter what. It's not just religion it's with every group. Some organizations discriminate against the old, handicapped, and etc. No one on this earth is exempt from discrimination really. lol


Finally, something I can agree with. :D

_________________
Image


Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:48 pm
Profile WWW
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:23 pm
Posts: 1736
Location: Alabama
Post Re: The Vikings/Kluwe off-topic thread. Civil Discussion Onl
Funkytown wrote:
King James wrote:
I'm not even going to get into this again because for some reason most people have this concept that people are born with their sexual preferences. So in other words that is saying we as humans don't have the ability to change our sexual preferences. I find that ridiculous.


Could you change your sexual preference or possibly just your sexual activities? (There is a difference.) If you could not wake up one day being solely attracted to men--and no longer to women--what makes you think other people can...or should? Or heck, maybe your sexual preference does change as the weather does, since it. is. just. that. easy? Do you like the sexy ladies in the summer but a big, sexy warm cuddly man in the winter? lol See how ridiculous that is? Extreme example of course, but you can't turn sexual preference on and off like a light switch. Some things just make sense, ya know? Well, and some things don't. Forget the scientific studies suggesting that people are, indeed, born that way, it just makes sense. Why would someone choose it? Why? Is there some sort of benefit? Doubt it, since there is MUCH more negativity associated with homosexuality. Even YOU can agree with that. So why would someone choose to be discriminated against, criticized for their lifestyle by a good portion of the world, disowned by their own fricken families, etc.? Use your head, James. Please. It doesn't even seem logical that it is a choice. Does it?



It still doesn't make sense to me...lol Just because I don't see myself being gay doesn't mean another guy wouldn't. Everyone does not think the same. As for scientific studies, I wasn't going to go there regardless. Do you know that back in the day. homosexuality was considered as a mental disorder? Now they're switching it to genetics. I don't think there is a clear cut fact on why people are gay. There is no gene to determine whether a person is going to be gay or not so how can you say that they are born that way?

Why would someone choose to be gay? Holy crap Melanie. Has it ever occurred of you that there are people in this world who don't care about being discriminated against? There are people who will not let negative views from otheres affect how they live their life. Michael Sam?????? Did he not take that risk by "coming out" knowing that there will be people against it? I stated earlier that no one is safe from discrimination. So if person so happens to be attracted to the same sex, and they really love that person, why would their care about being discriminated against?


Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:48 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:26 pm
Posts: 4013
Location: Northeast, Iowa
Post Re: The Vikings/Kluwe off-topic thread. Civil Discussion Onl
King James wrote:

It still doesn't make sense to me...lol Just because I don't see myself being gay doesn't mean another guy wouldn't.


Another guy might think you are gay? I thought people only confused you for Richard Sherman? :D

Quote:
Do you know that back in the day. homosexuality was considered as a mental disorder?


Do you know, that back in the day, they thought a lot of stupid things that have since been proven...to be stupid? :D

Quote:
Now they're switching it to genetics. I don't think there is a clear cut fact on why people are gay. There is no gene to determine whether a person is going to be gay or not so how can you say that they are born that way?


It is something that they are still working on, but, yes, there are genetic factors that play a role in sexual preference.

Quote:
Why would someone choose to be gay?


Yes, why would they? Usually when people make "a choice", especially a major lifestyle choice, they tend to weigh the pros and cons, and then go from there. Why would someone choose to be gay, over simply being straight, "normal", and accepted?

Quote:
Has it ever occurred of you that there are people in this world who don't care about being discriminated against? There are people who will not let negative views from otheres affect how they live their life. Michael Sam?????? Did he not take that risk by "coming out" knowing that there will be people against it? I stated earlier that no one is safe from discrimination. So if person so happens to be attracted to the same sex, and they really love that person, why would their care about being discriminated against?


Yes, there are people in this world who are stronger than others and who basically don't care about what people think. And, yes, some of those people are homosexuals who happen to be comfortable with themselves. As you said, people are different; people think and feel differently. Just because one gay person "has it easy" so to speak, does not mean the next person does. A lot of gay people don't. A lot of people struggle with it, get disowned by their families, commit suicide, etc. Now, if it was simply "a choice", why go through all that? Why wouldn't everyone just simply be straight and be done with it?

_________________
Image


Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:42 pm
Profile WWW
Fenrir
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Posts: 10509
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: The Vikings/Kluwe off-topic thread. Civil Discussion Onl
Image


Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:21 pm
Profile
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:30 pm
Posts: 2156
Location: Minneapolis
Post Re: The Vikings/Kluwe off-topic thread. Civil Discussion Onl
S197 wrote:
Image


:point: LMAO!!

_________________
Stop being a hypocrite


Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:38 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:41 pm
Posts: 6020
Post Re: The Vikings/Kluwe off-topic thread. Civil Discussion Onl
Valhalla wrote:
Adam Muema missed the Combine for Religious Purposes.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ear ... s-reasons/

One must say, a whole lot of the discrimination one ever sees is directed at religion.


Let's not hijack the thread. In the US, religious discrimination is protected by federal law. I don't think that I've ever been discriminated against (at least overtly) for being a Christian. There is a higher level of "negative" impressions of Christianity these days, than in the past, but honestly, we are not helping ourselves. I'm not talking about compromising our beliefs, I'm talking about living Philippians 2:3 when speaking with others about any number of topics.

I have tried to defend the faith in matters where I believe it was unfairly/inaccurately characterized, but I'll be honest: I think some of the posts are doing more to hurt Christianity than convince anyone. Suffice to say: some of the posts concerning this topic do not necessarily reflect the views of all Christians. I think if we're honest, we have to admit we don't know what factors are involved in sexual orientation. We'd like to think it's environmental because that is easier to explain rather than God creating someone as "born gay," but what if they are "born gay?" I can't definitively say people are NOT born that way. Was I born hetero, or did my environment develop me to have that orientation? I don't know. In any case, none of us have to DO anything to be accepted by Jesus. (It is a gift of God - Not of works, right?) so this issue should be no different, correct? The Holy Spirit convicts, not the words of men.


I would humbly ask that you and KJ just let this thread die. If you elect to continue this discussion, I'm going to bow out with the caveat that the view expressed here do not necessarily reflect the beliefs of all Christians. Cliff had the class to just back out of this discussion while disagreeing with what was posted. I'm going to do the same.

_________________
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!


Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:48 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:26 pm
Posts: 4013
Location: Northeast, Iowa
Post Re: The Vikings/Kluwe off-topic thread. Civil Discussion Onl
Just Me wrote:

I would humbly ask that you and KJ just let this thread die. If you elect to continue this discussion, I'm going to bow out with the caveat that the view expressed here do not necessarily reflect the beliefs of all Christians. Cliff had the class to just back out of this discussion while disagreeing with what was posted. I'm going to do the same.


A fine idea, sir. :D ...wait for me!

Image

_________________
Image


Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:21 pm
Profile WWW
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:23 pm
Posts: 1736
Location: Alabama
Post Re: The Vikings/Kluwe off-topic thread. Civil Discussion Onl
Funkytown wrote:

Yes, there are people in this world who are stronger than others and who basically don't care about what people think. And, yes, some of those people are homosexuals who happen to be comfortable with themselves. As you said, people are different; people think and feel differently. Just because one gay person "has it easy" so to speak, does not mean the next person does. A lot of gay people don't. A lot of people struggle with it, get disowned by their families, commit suicide, etc. Now, if it was simply "a choice", why go through all that? Why wouldn't everyone just simply be straight and be done with it?


Melanie, I've already answered this question. Life is always about choices. You may not agree that making a certain choices is worth the scrutiny that comes with it but that's not the case with everybody. Why would someone go through it? Probably because they think it's worth it? If you really want something you have to fight for it right? Even if people don't like it, are you gonna let them stop you, or are you gonna keep fighting. Because MAYBE, the fight might pay off and it's slowly is since states are beginning to allow gay marriage.

There may be many gay people struggling but there are just as many gay people who have no problems. I have seen plenty of gay people who have come out and still continue on with their lives. However, when a celeb or athlete comes out, the media makes it a big deal.

To sum this all up, just because homosexuality comes with a lot of scrutiny can't choose to be that way.


Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:48 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:41 pm
Posts: 6020
Post Re: The Vikings/Kluwe off-topic thread. Civil Discussion Onl
To Valhalla - if I have caused offense or am unfair, I truly apologize. Peace be with you.

_________________
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!


Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:16 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.