wow...this guy gets my vote as athlete of the year.

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

OJVIKE
Career Elite Player

wow...this guy gets my vote as athlete of the year.

Post by OJVIKE »

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10 ... =2&theater
There are no words to describe what you're about to see.

A Son asked his father, "Dad, will you take part in a marathon with me?" The father who, despite having a heart condition, says "Yes". They went on to complete the marathon together. Father and son went on to join other marathons. The father always saying "Yes" to his son's request of going through the race together. One day, the son asked his father, "Dad, let's join the Ironman together."

To which, his father said "Yes".

For those who don't know, Ironman is the toughest triathlon ever. The race encompasses three endurance events of a 2.4 mile (3.86 kilometer) ocean swim, followed by a 112 mile (180.2 kilometer) bike ride and ending with a 26.2 mile (42.195 kilometer) marathon along the coast of the Big Island.

Father and son went on to complete the race together!
S197
Fenrir

Re: wow...this guy gets my vote as athlete of the year.

Post by S197 »

I saw that a few years back, amazing. Especially the part where he's swimming and pulling his son in the boat.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

S197 wrote:I saw that a few years back, amazing. Especially the part where he's swimming and pulling his son in the boat.
Jack LaLanne pulled 70 boats filled with 70 people for one and a half miles through the Long Beach Harbor on his 70th birthday, while handcuffed and shackled.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Eli wrote: Jack LaLanne pulled 70 boats filled with 70 people for one and a half miles through the Long Beach Harbor on his 70th birthday, while handcuffed and shackled.
Yeah but this guy wasn't a marathon runner, he basically just did it for his son.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

S197 wrote:Yeah but this guy wasn't a marathon runner, he basically just did it for his son.
Jack LaLanne wasn't a swimmer. :)

In any case, it's inspiring. People do amazing things, often for reasons that are equally amazing.