Death Valley Forecast

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Death Valley Forecast

Post by PurpleMustReign »

125-130 degrees for the next few days, with lows around 100!!! Wow!! I've been in Vegas when it was 118. It was very hot. I would be curious to feel 130 just to see what it's like.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Death Valley Forecast

Post by The Breeze »

I don't know about temperatures that high, but the first time I drove through Death Valley was during the full moon in August 2001 around 1am. I had just left a String Cheese Incident at the Aladdin in Vegas in my 78 westy and was headed to Tahoe. It was so hot I had to pull over and let her cool down a bit. I stood by the side of the road soaking up the lunar landscape in the moonlight, when out of the corner of my eye I noticed an orange glow emanating from the rear of my van. The foam insulation in the engine compartment had caught fire due to how hot my air cooled engine and exhaust had become.

I had bikes on a bike rack on the back, so there was no way to get the compartment open quickly. I wound up spraying it with water bottles until it was out. I drove it nearly 200 miles on 3 cylinders to my mom's and got another vehicle.

Anyway, it was soo hot at 1am that I've never really considered going back there in the summertime. I imagine it's like being in a dry sauna,,,,one that stretches for miles and miles.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

I imagine it feels like--suggested by its name--death!

I can't stand heat and humidity. I'm ready for fall already, and it's only been "hot" for a couple weeks now--if that. I've been wishing for fall for a few days--and it's not just because of football season! :wink:
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

yes the Sacramento Valley is supposed to be 113 this week Oh yeah !! :steamed:
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I'm going to try this and see if it works. Reviews seem to be good.

http://www.amazon.com/ProActive-Frogg-T ... rogg+toggs

Also trying the "Chillow" which didn't get as great reviews but I figure what the heck, I don't like running up my electric bill.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I worked in a really hot warehouse for ten years .. I used a regular dish towel and rolled
it up with ice .. It worked great and the product you listed should work even better
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!