View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Twins 2012 
Starting Wide Receiver

Post Twins 2012
Kind of a sombering article about Justin Morneau by Souhan this morning. I wish him the best in his recovery from concussions.

Quote:
Justin Morneau spoke on Friday morning in Fort Myers, and if you get past the usual optimism that every athlete offers when dealing with injuries, the news was not good.
Asked if he's contemplated his concussion symptoms ending his career, Morneau said:
`` Well, I don’t think there will be a career if it’s something I’m dealing with,’’ he said. ``That’s the reality of the whole thing. I’m obviously not going to continue to mess around with this if it continues to be a problem. There comes a point where you can only torture yourself for so long.
``It’s something I love to do but you keep preparing and you keep being left out, that’s something that nobody wants to go through . obviously it’s been a tough winter that way. I try not to think about that kind of stuff. Obviously it’s crossed my mind and it’s something I’ve had to think about but when that stuff comes into my mind I continue to look for something positive, and look how far I’ve come in the last week or in the last month and just hope it continues to go well.''
Morneau used the word ``torture'' when speaking about what he's gone through. He also said he's lost some weight. He's dieted to reduce the stress on his body, and he looks skinnier than the guy who was the AL MVP not so long ago.
My reaction, having spoken with Morneau and re-read the transcription of his interview: This spring might be his last attempt to prove to himself that he can still play baseball.
La Velle and I will have more later in the day on startribune.com, and in tomorrow morning's paper.

Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:07 am
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Famer

Post Re: Twins 2012
I bet he is done. As he should be if he is still having symptoms, nothing to mess around with. If he still feels this way at the begining of spring training, imagine one the grind starts or heaven forbit he takes another hit to the head. Its unfortunate, but I cant help but think his playing days are pretty close to over.

Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:44 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

More bad news: http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/ ... ght-elbow/

As if the bullpen situation wasn't bad enough... :wallbang:

Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:20 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

HornedMessiah wrote:
More bad news: http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/ ... ght-elbow/

As if the bullpen situation wasn't bad enough... :wallbang:

If he wouldn't try to throw 800mph on every pitch he probably could have had a better career.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:47 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Fame Candidate

It's just funny that the guy injured his arm and ended his season on his first throwing session of the year. Everyone knew the guy was a huge injury risk and that he would likely miss big chunks of time during the season, but damn I don't think anyone saw this coming. Now the team looks even dumber for not adding more arms to the bullpen.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:22 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

So ya, the Twins stink just like everyone knew they would. Getting swept by Baltimore to open the season does not bode well for the rest of the summer. Now I read today that Baker is getting surgery and is shut down for the year, which pretty much means his Twins career is over.

This team is gonna look a lot different in a couple years. Pavano, Liriano and Baker will all be gone after this season. Guys like Span and Valencia could be traded (maybe more too, Morneau?) Basically the entire squad needs to get blown up and everything built up again around Mauer.

Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:22 pm
Career Elite Player

entertaining game last night. got down, went up, got down, went up....

wish we could get some bats going like that every night! i love the makeup of this team....but don't think it's translating into a lot of wins. that said....we are .03% through the season, so i'm going to hold off on getting too discouraged just yet. :lol:

Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:17 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

I think this is going to be a disappointing season for Twins fans. Target Field is great, they said with all the new stadium revenues that payroll is going to be higher ie. better players, but in the off season they don't want to spend the $$ and keep 3 of the best players on the team.. for about the same money I would much rather see Michael Cuddyer than Josh Willingham. Kubel and Nathan should have been resigned too. I am kinda fed up with the Twins as an organization. I would think that 2 years after getting the stadium they have been looking for for a decade they would do more to improve the team. I, for one, would trade half of the division titles they won ( maybe more ) for 1 world series. They talk the talk, but didn't walk the walk.

That being said, I still watch and root for them.

Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:17 pm
Profile YIM
Career Elite Player

another fun watch so far. down 6-0 and we battle back. 6-6 right now. this would be good for some momentum. :thumbsup:

Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:08 pm
Career Elite Player

twins win 10-9!

mauer and morneau both go yard. way to keep fighting twins. :rock:

Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:55 pm
Waterboy

Morneau is back!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:07 pm
Career Elite Player

viking_guy wrote:
I think this is going to be a disappointing season for Twins fans. Target Field is great, they said with all the new stadium revenues that payroll is going to be higher ie. better players, but in the off season they don't want to spend the $$ and keep 3 of the best players on the team.. for about the same money I would much rather see Michael Cuddyer than Josh Willingham. Kubel and Nathan should have been resigned too. I am kinda fed up with the Twins as an organization. I would think that 2 years after getting the stadium they have been looking for for a decade they would do more to improve the team. I, for one, would trade half of the division titles they won ( maybe more ) for 1 world series. They talk the talk, but didn't walk the walk.

kinda surprised to read this. i was very excited to see us aquire willingham and thought he was a pretty big upgrade. he's playing better than anyone on the roster and if i'm not mistaken was the american league player of the week. i think he's going to be VERY good for this team. gonna be a long season overall i think.... :(

Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:08 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

vikeinmontana wrote:
viking_guy wrote:

kinda surprised to read this. i was very excited to see us aquire willingham and thought he was a pretty big upgrade. he's playing better than anyone on the roster and if i'm not mistaken was the american league player of the week. i think he's going to be VERY good for this team. gonna be a long season overall i think.... :(

I would tather have seen them keep Kubel over Cuddyer. The only real advantage Cuddy had is he was a good clubhouse guy.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:00 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Pro Bowl Elite Player

don't get me wrong, Willingham is playing great, but I would rather have Cuddyer. He can play many positions. And with all the injuries the twins seem to have, having a guy on roster who can fill in anywhere is huge.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:48 pm
Profile YIM
Career Elite Player

ya that's true. good to see justin getting back to form. i kind of expected is i always felt that the reason he was sidelined for so long is because we were being really cautious with him as we weren't going to win games anyway. some took that as a sign that his concussions were just terrible and his career might be over and i always thought that was a stretch. they really took their time with him...and this is a totally different team with him and mauer healthy.

so far good game tonight too. :rock:

Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:57 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

Former Twin Philip Humber threw a perfect game for the ChiSox. I remember when he was here he was not very good. I guess this is what can happen when you have real coaches on your team.

Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:12 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Fame Candidate

viking_guy wrote:
don't get me wrong, Willingham is playing great, but I would rather have Cuddyer. He can play many positions. And with all the injuries the twins seem to have, having a guy on roster who can fill in anywhere is huge.

Cuddy was my probably my favorite Twin, pretty much embodied what "Twins baseball" is. However, the ability to play many positions is overrated. You know what it means when a guy is a multi-position player (in most cases)? He's mediocre at all of them. The season is still young but Willingham looks like an upgrade already.

It would be nice to have Kubel still around too. Watching Doumit play RF is painful. The other night he let two balls fall in front of him when most RFs would've been able to make the catch (or at least be in position for it)

PurpleMustReign wrote:
Former Twin Philip Humber threw a perfect game for the ChiSox. I remember when he was here he was not very good. I guess this is what can happen when you have real coaches on your team.

Didn't Buerhle throw two perfect games while playing for them? Anyway, Humber was with another team in between the Twins and ChiSox, so c'mon.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:18 pm
Site Admin

HornedMessiah wrote:
Didn't Buerhle throw two perfect games while playing for them? Anyway, Humber was with another team in between the Twins and ChiSox, so c'mon.

2 no hitters, nobody has thrown 2 perfect games.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:39 pm
Career Elite Player

twins no-hit. gonna be a loooooong season :(

Thu May 03, 2012 10:14 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

May just started and I have already lost all interest in the Twins.

I think it is time to start the fire Gardy talk. Clearly his time has come and gone.

Thu May 03, 2012 8:34 pm
Profile YIM
All Pro Elite Player

It's frustrating because we have some decent talent, but we can't get it together. Gardy's seat gonna be on fire soon

Sadly,yours isn't mine.But if you stopped posting and made this your sig,yours could look like mine.

Look down,back up,your on VMB reading the sig your sig can look like.I'm on a computer

Thu May 03, 2012 10:47 pm
Career Elite Player

i didn't have super high expectations for this year. but no way in hell did i think we'd be the worst team in baseball. just brutal to watch.

Fri May 04, 2012 10:07 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

Then they get one-hit tonight. What a joke of a team. Just terrible.

Sun May 06, 2012 2:46 am
Profile YIM WWW
Career Elite Player

just more depressing every day. not only do we have the worst record in baseball with 7 wins....but do you guys ever look at run differential?! just sick. just the stat that shows how many runs we've scored versus how many we've given up. currently we are -59! minus 59! :wallbang:

next worse is the royals at -29! even the royals are already 30 runs better than us. :confused: texas is +47 and st. louis is +62! ha....minus 59. :confused:

Sun May 06, 2012 9:01 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

vikeinmontana wrote:
minus 59.

maybe Gardy thinks he is playing golf and is doing really well...

Mon May 07, 2012 12:16 am
Profile YIM
Career Elite Player

:point:

Mon May 07, 2012 9:46 am
Starting Wide Receiver

A great article by Souhan. I am not usually a fan of his, but he hit the nails on the head with all three points. I love Denard Span, but he deserves better than this. I would hate to see him go, but like he said, he deserves better.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/151648295.html

Wed May 16, 2012 8:05 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Career Elite Player

this team does just enough to keep me watching! beat the phillies 11-7 last night. won 10 of our last 13 games. had 17 hits and 3 homers last night! so tonight...knowing this team...we'll probably get no-hit. :wink:

Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:52 am
Starting Wide Receiver

I tell you what, Trevor Plouffe is on FIRE. Two more HRs tonight, up to 14 for the season, and he hasn't even played the whole season!! In a season of very few bright spots, he has certainly been one (along with Span and Diamond).

Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:09 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Starting Wide Receiver

Can someone please tell me why we dind't sign Jason Kubel??? Three HRs last night, and he leads the NL in RBI.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:02 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next