View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:29 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ] 
 VMB 
Hall of Famer

Post VMB
Ill start with an appology, if this is inappropriate, MODS delete it. Looking for advise if anyone has been in a similiar situation, what to say/do.

I am part of a very close family. My Mom has been diagnosed with cancer, for the 3rd time. It freaking sucks. Im not sure what to say, what is the right thing to do, ect. Talk about it, ignore it, listen, talk??? I feel helpless. I make sure she knows I love her and Im here, but it seems like not enough. I was raised to make the most out of the hand you were delt, but this is about the hand my Mom was delt, as close as we are, I feel terrible for not knowing what to say/do.

Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:10 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post Re: VMB
purple guy wrote:
I make sure she knows I love her and Im here, but it seems like not enough.

That's good, but beyond that what can you really do? I think it's natural to have a feeling of hopelessness in that situation, because it's not something you can easily fix. Maybe talk with the rest of your family to make sure everyone is on the same page and maintains a positive attitude, especially when talking with her. If she gets irritable or angry with you/others, stay positive and try to imagine things from her perspective. Help out with little things if you can (do you live nearby?)

Has she been diagnosed with the same kind of cancer each time?

Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:51 pm
Hall of Famer

HornedMessiah wrote:
purple guy wrote:
I make sure she knows I love her and Im here, but it seems like not enough.

That's good, but beyond that what can you really do? I think it's natural to have a feeling of hopelessness in that situation, because it's not something you can easily fix. Maybe talk with the rest of your family to make sure everyone is on the same page and maintains a positive attitude, especially when talking with her. If she gets irritable or angry with you/others, stay positive and try to imagine things from her perspective. Help out with little things if you can (do you live nearby?)

Has she been diagnosed with the same kind of cancer each time?

Thanks, I ll do my best. No. Its been 2 different kinds. But this one sucks cuz radiation isnt an option, she has had all of that she can have. Its tough, sucks.

Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:08 pm
Fenrir

Very sorry to hear about your mom. I'm by no means a professional in this area but to me, it sounds like you're doing the right things. You're providing support and love, which I think is a lot more than you're giving yourself credit for. If this is her 3rd diagnosis, she's clearly a fighter and the best thing to do is support her in that fight whether that be helping her to keep a positive attitude or just making the most of your time together.

Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:21 pm
Hall of Famer

purple guy wrote:
Ill start with an appology, if this is inappropriate, MODS delete it. Looking for advise if anyone has been in a similiar situation, what to say/do.

I am part of a very close family. My Mom has been diagnosed with cancer, for the 3rd time. It freaking sucks. Im not sure what to say, what is the right thing to do, ect. Talk about it, ignore it, listen, talk??? I feel helpless. I make sure she knows I love her and Im here, but it seems like not enough. I was raised to make the most out of the hand you were delt, but this is about the hand my Mom was delt, as close as we are, I feel terrible for not knowing what to say/do.

The fact you are even asking these questions shows where your heart is. It sounds like you have a close enough relationship that ignoring it would not be a good option. Be there, listen, do what you can. And also, find ways to keep some joy happening. Laugh, have fun, and do "normal" things that you do with your mom. Living with cancer is not all about the cancer, it's all about the living. That sounds cheesy, but it's true.

I know we're just acquaintances here on VMB, but feel free to vent if you have to.

Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:08 pm
Career Elite Player

sorry to hear about your troubles PG. i'll just echo what others have said. it sounds like you're going about things the right way. doesn't do any good to ignore the situation because it's not going away. take it on full steam just as your mother seems to be doing. and positivity helps. sure, just hoping every morning that the cancer goes away isn't going to make it happen....just like hoping the vikes win a superbowl isn't going to make it happen. but positivity is contageous. people feed off it. it makes even the worst of situations seem manageable. keep living your life, and help your mom live hers too. be there for her and all of your family.

just keep your head up man. :thumbsup:

Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:45 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

BGM wrote:
Laugh, have fun, and do "normal" things that you do with your mom. Living with cancer is not all about the cancer, it's all about the living. That sounds cheesy, but it's true.

This is some great advice.

Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:11 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

Man, I am sorry to hear about this...
Like they said before, just try to be as normal as you can! Laugh, have fun, and just spend time with her. I hope she can recover from this!! I will say some prayers for you and your mom!

Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:38 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Pro Bowl Elite Player

sorry to hear about your mom. I lost mine to cancer 5 years ago. if there is one thing i can suggest is to spend as much time as you can with her and don't forget to hug her and tell her you love her.

Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:57 pm
Profile YIM
Hall of Famer

Thanks for the reply guys. Not a good time for our family right now.

Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:30 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

Hey, PG, how are things going with your mom?

Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:54 am
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Famer

PurpleMustReign wrote:

Well, she got as good of news as she could. After surgery at her follow up with her onacologist (sp??) he determined no chemo is necessary, which is terrific, she had that the previous times and it is horrible. She is a little down, obviously, but improving and by all accounts seemed to be local, lymphnodes were negetive, and they believe they got it all, so no news with cancer is ever good, but this seems to be turning out as good as it could, considering! Thanks for asking.

Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:59 pm
Commissioner

purple guy wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:

Well, she got as good of news as she could. After surgery at her follow up with her onacologist (sp??) he determined no chemo is necessary, which is terrific, she had that the previous times and it is horrible. She is a little down, obviously, but improving and by all accounts seemed to be local, lymphnodes were negetive, and they believe they got it all, so no news with cancer is ever good, but this seems to be turning out as good as it could, considering! Thanks for asking.

That's awesome! Glad to hear!

Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:10 pm
Career Elite Player

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:01 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

Glad to hear, I hope things continue to improve!

Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:12 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Fame Candidate

:clap:

Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:15 pm
Career Elite Player

hope all is well PG. haven't seen ya on the board forever and just wanted to say i hope things are good. you gotta hurry up and get back here because eli and demi can't be the only two guys telling us how bad all the vikings are! :wink:

seriously though, i wish you the best and hope to see you back soon. :rock:

Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:22 am
Fenrir

While we wish the best for PG and his family, his mom in particular, he is no longer a member of this messageboard.

Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:22 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 18 posts ]