Boogaard's brain was ravaged by head blows

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/135059608.html
Former Wild enforcer Derek Boogaard had a degenerative brain disease linked to repeated head trauma when he died in May at age 28.

The disease, chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) is a close relative of Alzheimer's disease and has been diagnosed in the brains of more than 20 former football players. It can be diagnosed only posthumously.

The researchers at the Boston University Center for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy who examined Boogaard's brain said the case was particularly sobering because Boogaard was a young, high-profile athlete, dead in midcareer, with a surprisingly advanced degree of brain damage.

"To see this amount? That's a 'wow' moment," said Ann McKee, a neuropathologist and a co-director of the center.
How scary is this? I wonder what NFL players brains look like after a long career, especialy some of those who always lead with their helmet. I hope some of the players start realizing that this is not a matter to take lightly.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
glg
Site Admin

Re: Boogaard's brain was ravaged by head blows

Post by glg »

PurpleMustReign wrote:How scary is this? I wonder what NFL players brains look like after a long career, especialy some of those who always lead with their helmet. I hope some of the players start realizing that this is not a matter to take lightly.
Same thing was true with Chris Henry, who was a WR and not getting as much contact in theory.
CalVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CalVike »

Right now Bettman is in denial mode, saying there is no evidence hockey is complicit. Hockey should drop fighting altogether over this, but they won't. Money ALWAYS trumps health in pro sports.

Football is a bigger problem. Hitting is required every play. Concussions are so common. But there is little they can do. Hits to the head will happen no matter what they do.