RIP Steve Jobs

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

RIP Steve Jobs

Post by PurpleMustReign »

The man did a lot for today's entertainment. He will be missed.
CUPERTINO, Calif. - Steve Jobs, the Apple founder and former CEO who invented and masterfully marketed ever-sleeker gadgets that transformed everyday technology, from the personal computer to the iPod and iPhone, has died. He was 56.

Apple announced his death without giving a specific cause.

"We are deeply saddened to announce that Steve Jobs passed away today," the company said in a brief statement.

"Steve's brilliance, passion and energy were the source of countless innovations that enrich and improve all of our lives. The world is immeasurably better because of Steve"

Jobs had battled cancer in 2004 and underwent a liver transplant in 2009 after taking a leave of absence for unspecified health problems. He took another leave of absence in January — his third since his health problems began — before resigning as CEO six weeks ago. Jobs became Apple's chairman and handed the CEO job over to his hand-picked successor, Tim Cook.

The news Apple fans and shareholders had been dreading came the day after Apple unveiled its latest version of the iPhone, just one in a procession of devices that shaped technology and society while Jobs was running the company.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Re: RIP Steve Jobs

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Sad to see... Posting this message on a MacBook Pro as we speak. RIP Mr. Jobs.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Greg
Career Elite Player

Post by Greg »

same here
RIP Mr Jobs
beardedterror
All Pro Elite Player

Post by beardedterror »

I very strongly dislike apple's products, but there's no denying this man's genius. He was one of the best businessmen of all time, and will be missed. Rest in peace, Mr. Jobs.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

beardedterror wrote:I very strongly dislike apple's products
Just out of curiosity, why?
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

I can't answer for him but when you usually prod people about their dislike of Apple, you eventually find out that it's not the products, but instead the marketing that irritates them. That or the price.

There's other factors too, but I'll wait and see if the discussion turns that way.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Not trying to spark a debate in a thread over a sensitive matter, but I guess I don't understand some of the hate toward Apple. When I was a little kid my father had an old macintosh that he used until he could no longer use it. From elementary school till the day I graduated high school, the family computer was some type of Mac. In college, I have been using a MacBook Pro to get by. Not a single issue with my laptop. I also have a lot of Ipods that I have gone through... Maybe I am biased, but I love Apple. Never had many issues with the products at all.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

like apple or not no one could argue they didn't change the world
of electronics.

even if you prefer a intel system to a mac .. Apple pushed other
companies with their technology and design
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

jackal wrote:even if you prefer a intel system to a mac
Macs have been using Intel processors for....5+ years now? Makes it possible to run multiple operating systems on the same computer. Got the dual boot rockin on my MBP. OSX for work stuff like Adobe products and Windows for games.

Basically, the three advantages a Windows machine has over a Mac are:
1 - DIY capability (hardware/building)
2 - gaming
3 - price

You could combine reason 1 & 2 since they are intertwined, but for a majority of consumers that stuff doesn't matter and the main factor is the price difference. So essentially, you're paying more for a Mac but getting a more stable machine. Unfortunately, that appears to be changing now as more virus coders are targeting Macs due to the increase in popularity.

This all probably makes me seem like a big Apple/Mac fanboy, but I use both OS X and Win7 and like them both. Like HardcoreVikesFan, I've never understood the hatred between the two. I'll just chalk it up to human tendency to take sides in black & white issues. 8)
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

HornedMessiah wrote: So essentially, you're paying more for a Mac but getting a more stable machine. Unfortunately, that appears to be changing now as more virus coders are targeting Macs due to the increase in popularity.

This all probably makes me seem like a big Apple/Mac fanboy, but I use both OS X and Win7 and like them both. Like HardcoreVikesFan, I've never understood the hatred between the two. I'll just chalk it up to human tendency to take sides in black & white issues. 8)
Windows 7 actually fixes quite a bit of the stability issues. However, you don't have to necessarily be running windows on a "PC". Linux is pretty awesome too.

Yeah, the hatred is basically due to people loving to take sides. Though, to be fair, that's basically the same reason many Vikings fans don't like the Packers lol

There are some things PCs do better and some things Macs do better ... just depends why you're getting the computer. I use PCs more because I'm used to them, can build my own, etc. It might be a regional thing, but Macs aren't very popular in Kentucky at all. Unless you're doing graphic design, every business has a PC around here, so professionally it makes more sense for me to know more about them.
beardedterror
All Pro Elite Player

Post by beardedterror »

dead_poet wrote: Just out of curiosity, why?
I built my own PC for $1500. If it were an apple machine, it would have cost me well over $8,000, and I struggle mightily with osx. Support for gaming is terrible with macs, and they are notorious for making it difficult to customize their software.

I have nothing against Steve Jobs. I can just get what I want for (much closer to) the price that I want it.
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

Cliff wrote:
Bingo. Graphic design is actually what I do. I think what you said holds true for just about everywhere, not only Kentucky. I work for a rural telecom cooperative and the tech guys are completely flabbergasted whenever they have to set up some networking stuff on my laptop. I just laugh at them and their complete refusal/inability to learn something different.

Apple managed to keep its head above water for many years because they were the choice of professionals in creative fields like music, video, and graphics. Stocking grade schools and junior highs with computer labs helped too, I'm sure.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

beardedterror wrote: I built my own PC for $1500. If it were an apple machine, it would have cost me well over $8,000, and I struggle mightily with osx. Support for gaming is terrible with macs, and they are notorious for making it difficult to customize their software.

I have nothing against Steve Jobs. I can just get what I want for (much closer to) the price that I want it.
No I understand man, the biggest complaint I hear about Macs is the gaming aspect. I was never a PC gamer (always been a console guy) but I do know the one PC game I played the most was Civilization 3 for the Imac. Man I loved that game.