Cable vs. Dish vs. Direct TV

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

Which is your preference?

Direct TV
45%
DISH
20%
Cable
35%

Total votes: 20

S197
Fenrir

Re: Cable vs. Dish vs. Direct TV

Post by S197 »

A fourth option to consider, Internet TV. One of our clients demoed their new IPTV and I have to say it was very impressive. Picture was crystal clear, channel changes were instant, DVR up to 4 shows at the same time, stop watching in one room move to another and pick up where you left off, lots of other features.

Not to mention when you upgrade to their TV service they give you a nice chunk of bandwith so your Internet connection is blazing. I just wish DirecTV didn't have the monopoly on the NFL ticket.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Yup I'm referring to HTTV. The navigation seemed to be very easy when they demoed it for us, how long ago were you a user? Then again a lot of the features, like the DVR, they just told us about, we never really got to see it in action. Sounds like there will be some growing pains.

The other complaint I heard about satellite is all of the programming is on east coast time. That would be a big problem for me. Is that true?
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

808vikingsfan wrote:But being able to wake up in the morning knowing you will be watching the Vikings game instead of the Raiders, SF, or Dallas is worth it IMO.
For this reason alone I would be all over DirecTV but my condo AOAO might have an issue with me hanging a satellite dish out my window. I also like that they have that mobile NFL so you can watch games on your laptop. I wish they would sell that as a separate package, I would buy that without a second thought.
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

S197 wrote: For this reason alone I would be all over DirecTV but my condo AOAO might have an issue with me hanging a satellite dish out my window. I also like that they have that mobile NFL so you can watch games on your laptop. I wish they would sell that as a separate package, I would buy that without a second thought.
There are FCC rules that require them to allow it under most circumstances.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/installing-co ... ite-dishes
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

glg wrote: There are FCC rules that require them to allow it under most circumstances.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/installing-co ... ite-dishes
Interesting, never realized that. Still not feasible in my case unfortunately.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

808vikingsfan wrote:I'm sure you probably heard but if you have a PS3, you can purchase the Sunday Ticket this year, no dish needed. You'll pay what most DTV subscribers pay ($300+). Don't have details but I assume you'll have access to archived games since you won't be able to DVR anything.
I didn't realize that, thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately I have an Xbox :wallbang:

I would pay the $300 but on top of paying for a PS3? That's a little much for me.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

directv is the best if you are a sports fan. especially a nfl fan. i watch the nfl network all the time. :smilevike:
GoldenBear91
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by GoldenBear91 »

wow, I am realy in the stone age. I just have basic channels...no internet either...
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

GoldenBear91 wrote:wow, I am realy in the stone age. I just have basic channels...no internet either...
:shock:
i'm ready for a beer.