Harmon Killebrew ends cancer fight

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Harmon Killebrew ends cancer fight

Post by PurpleMustReign »

"It is with profound sadness that I share with you that my continued battle with esophageal cancer is coming to an end," the former Twins and Washington Senators star said. "With the continued love and support of my wife, Nita, I have exhausted all options with respect to controlling this awful disease. My illness has progressed beyond my doctors' expectation of cure.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6540158

This is terrible. I hope he can live in peace and comfort for the remainder of his life. He was a great athlete and a great man.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Harmon Killebrew ends cancer fight

Post by HornedMessiah »

Yes, very sad indeed. He's saying goodbye. I'm sure there are lots of grown men who got tears in their eyes and lumps in their throats when they read/heard about this today.

He played before I was even born so I never really fully grasped just how amazing of a player he was. My dad and grandpa always talked about him in reverent tones and as a little kid I saw the "red seat" at the Mall of America, so I had some idea of his prowess. However, I never looked at his career stats until today after I heard the news. He was 2nd only to Babe Ruth in HRs when he retired?! He hit 40+ HRs in 8 seasons? One season he had 140+ RBIs. Damn, talk about being a powerhouse at the plate. Wow. And no steroids there, no asterisk next to his records.

Lots and lots too about how great of a man he was. Kind and caring.
purple guy
Hall of Famer

Post by purple guy »

Too young to have watched him, but read a lot about him. He is a man. I think of guys like him (even tho a different sport) during this NFL labor dispute. I bet he woulda played for free and been embarassed with the current state of most professional sports. Sad news, but the man definately lived right. And while I obviously didnt kknow him, Im sure all that did, are better for it. A true sports hero IMO.
DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by DanAS »

He was my favorite athlete when I was in elementary school. I have two balls that he autographed, one of which I got autographed myself when I saw him at the Orlando airport during spring training in 1987. I said "are you Harmon Killebrew"? He responded "what's left of him."

Killebrew is what's right about spectator sports. He was absolute treat to watch, and has always been a great guy. I hope he enjoys the remainder of his time on earth at the hospice.
DeeEss57
All Pro Elite Player

Post by DeeEss57 »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
Harmon was/is/always will be my hero. He was a class act on the field and off. Modern athletes in every sport could learn a thing or two from Harmon about being a professional athlete, as Twins players did over the years. Just thinking about a Twins Territory without Harmon Killebrew makes me cry.

Dawn
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Twins great Harmon Killebrew dies
http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/122004519.html
Harmon Clayton Killebrew, an iconic Minnesota Twin known for his prodigious home runs and humble demeanor, passed away Tuesday morning at his Scottsdale, Ariz., home at the age of 74 after a nearly five-month battle with esophageal cancer.
RIP Killer. You will be missed. :cry:
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

all in all....this is already a twins season i would like to forget....

RIP KILLER!!!!!
i'm ready for a beer.
Juice
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Juice »

RIP Harmon Killebrew. :cry:
"They say no matter how hard you work, there's always someone, somewhere working harder than you. Guess what? I'm that someone." -Kevin Garnett
DeeEss57
All Pro Elite Player

Post by DeeEss57 »

:cry: A sad day for Twins fans. Goodbye, Harmon. We will miss you. :cry:

Dawn
OJVIKE
Career Elite Player

Post by OJVIKE »

r.i.p.