Twins 2011

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Twins 2011

Post by HornedMessiah »

Oh ya, forgot to mention that Kyle Gibson, the Twins' top pitching prospect, might have to get Tommy John surgery. Before the season started there was a lot of talk about moving him up to the big leagues at the end of the year, so yet another disappointment for the 2011 season. If he gets the surgery, we won't see him for two years.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Great series by the Twins!! They scored close to 5 runs!!

As I said before, bill Smith id the only thing worse than a bad trade move at the deadline,.. he made NO move. no one in the world thought this team was good enough to win the division the way it was, yet he did nothing. You have a disgruntled starter in the minors (Slowey) who could certainly do no worse than the starters in the Majors now, a terrible bullpen, a gigantic overabundance of outfielders, and he does... nothing. What a tool. I dont know if I hate him or Gardenhire more.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
purple guy
Hall of Famer

Post by purple guy »

Thank goodness football is back so I dont have to watch the garbage theTwins field everyday. At least the NFL as a whole is watchable, I cant watch MLB other than the Twins. Even when the Vikings suck, I have fantasy football, the Twins are just a complete mess. Have not watched a Twins game since "Back to football" has been on NFLN and a little on ESPN.

They needed to try bring someone to the Twins in desperation to try win the division (tho highly unlikely) or traded some older players away in favor of the Twins future, as PMR said, they did nothing. Ridicolous. Im indifferent on Smith, but Guardy and the whole coaching staff needs to go IMO. Clueless, especially when it comes to assembling a pitching staff. Not. A. Clue.
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

Yup, praise Jeebus that football is back. After getting swept by the freaking White Sox, they're done.

Can't say I'm optimistic about the Twins future. We have guys with issues at 2B, SS, and 3B. A star first baseman who can't stay healthy. A star catcher who gets mysterious ailments and misses good chunks of time. No ace in the starter rotation and a horrible bullpen. Top pitching prospect has elbow problems and might need Tommy John surgery. Insulting your best player by lowballing him on a contract extension offer.

This injury-plagued season has also revealed that we don't really have a lot of talent coming up through the minor leagues. Ben Revere is the only one who has shown promise. Luke Hughes is okay I guess and has some position flexibility. Other than those two, who has done anything good?
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

HornedMessiah wrote:Yup, praise Jeebus that football is back. After getting swept by the freaking White Sox, they're done.

Can't say I'm optimistic about the Twins future. We have guys with issues at 2B, SS, and 3B. A star first baseman who can't stay healthy. A star catcher who gets mysterious ailments and misses good chunks of time. No ace in the starter rotation and a horrible bullpen. Top pitching prospect has elbow problems and might need Tommy John surgery. Insulting your best player by lowballing him on a contract extension offer.

This injury-plagued season has also revealed that we don't really have a lot of talent coming up through the minor leagues. Ben Revere is the only one who has shown promise. Luke Hughes is okay I guess and has some position flexibility. Other than those two, who has done anything good?

Kubel is having a real good year, so is Cuddyer. Actually Span is doing alright too. The rest of them can all be cut, as far as I am concerned, including the most overpaid player in the history of the game. As far as the rotation, I like Baker, but that's about it. Duensing should be in the bullpen. I wish they would bring in Slowey and see what happens. Maybe he could be like Perkins and be lights out. I mean, if they aren't going to trade him, let him play in the majors.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

BTW, we should sign John Saltallamachia just because his last name is awesome. And he's actually pretty good.
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Kubel is having a real good year, so is Cuddyer. Actually Span is doing alright too. The rest of them can all be cut, as far as I am concerned

Ya I know, but I was on a real negative vibe last night and didn't mention the few positives. :twisted: Outfield is probably the ONLY thing with this team that isn't broken (except for maybe Delmon, but he's the least of our worries). Even if the unthinkable happens and Cuddyer leaves next offseason, we should still be solid in the OF.

PurpleMustReign wrote:I like Baker, but that's about it. Duensing should be in the bullpen. I wish they would bring in Slowey and see what happens. Maybe he could be like Perkins and be lights out. I mean, if they aren't going to trade him, let him play in the majors.
Totally agree about Baker and Duensing. For Slowey...I think they HAVE tried to use him out of the bullpen but Slowey doesn't like it, hence the fractured relationship. Still kind of puzzled as to why they didn't trade him, maybe they're gonna give him another crack at the starting rotation? I wouldn't mind, considering everyone else is crap right now.

8/9 edit: So they put Baker on the DL and called up Slowey. Weird, I would've thought that Swarzak would get the spot. He should still get one, move Duensing to the bullpen.
purple guy
Hall of Famer

Post by purple guy »

Well, the mighty Mauer and Morneau went a combined 0 for 8. I realize it was Morneaus first game back, but its not like he has ever looked good this season. The Twins are a disaster IMO. Need an overhaul.
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

Just heard a bit ago on the radio that the Twins have traded Delmon to the Tigers for a LHP named Cole Nelson (apparently a local kid) and a "player to be named later"

Twins play Tigers tonight, and apparently Delmon is batting third for the Tigers. Should be interesting.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

HornedMessiah wrote:Just heard a bit ago on the radio that the Twins have traded Delmon to the Tigers for a LHP named Cole Nelson (apparently a local kid) and a "player to be named later"

Twins play Tigers tonight, and apparently Delmon is batting third for the Tigers. Should be interesting.
Cole Nelson is a decent player, I've seen him pitch before. Not a bad move by the Twins.
They should have just thrown in Alex Burnett and Nick Blackburn just for fun.
purple guy
Hall of Famer

Post by purple guy »

Delmon will probably hit for the cycle tonight. :wallbang:

In all seriousness, I have no idea who the guy is we traded for, but getting rid of Delmon was a good idea, he just isnt any good. Now, will Detroit take Guardy too?? PLEEEAAASSEEE
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

aaaaand of course...Delmon hits a HR for his first plate appearance as a Tiger.

:puke:
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Congratulations to Mr. Jim Thome!! #600, and most likely, steroid free!! :rock: :rock:
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

Congrats! Mr. Thome!
purple guy
Hall of Famer

Post by purple guy »

Man, I havent watched the Twins since football returned, since they are so bad. I was going start watching after number 599!! Then he hits 600 next at bat, what a stud. My favorite baseball player, by a mile. He seems a great guy and teammate, and hit 600, most likely clean. Wish I could have seen it live, glad it happened in a Twins uniform, for his sake, wish he was on a more competitive team.