Twins 2011

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

Now its our time
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Twins 2011

Post by Now its our time »

Nathan is gone. Rangers signed him to close
Look at ur sig,now back 2 mine,now back to yours,now back to mine

Sadly,yours isn't mine.But if you stopped posting and made this your sig,yours could look like mine.

Look down,back up,your on VMB reading the sig your sig can look like.I'm on a computer
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Bye Bye Joe Nathan, signed a two year deal $7 mil with the Rangers. I'm not too sad about that, he was really expensive (although that deal would have been ok with me had he signed here). I hope we don't keep Capps, I would rather see what Perkins can do.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
purple guy
Hall of Famer

Post by purple guy »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Bye Bye Joe Nathan, signed a two year deal $7 mil with the Rangers. I'm not too sad about that, he was really expensive (although that deal would have been ok with me had he signed here). I hope we don't keep Capps, I would rather see what Perkins can do.

I liked Nathan, and for that salary, I would have hoped the Twins could have kept him, as I fear they'll go with Capps now, and, IMO, he sucks as a closer. I think it might be another tough year for the Twins. Especially pitching-wise.
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

PurpleMustReign wrote: I hope we don't keep Capps, I would rather see what Perkins can do.
I agree, but on PA's radio show today he interviewed Rick Anderson and it sounds like they want Capps back as the closer and Perkins in the setup spot. Anderson said some crap about how Capps has "what you look for in a closer".

:wallbang:
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Sources: Manny Ramirez files for return

Sign him... I'm sure he'll be cheap, and he is always a threat. He'd be a good DH. Why not?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Sources: Manny Ramirez files for return

Sign him... I'm sure he'll be cheap, and he is always a threat. He'd be a good DH. Why not?
Because the single most important thing to them is how a guy is in the locker room. :lol:
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Demi wrote: Because the single most important thing to them is how a guy is in the locker room. :lol:
all e has to do is say "I have an owie" and he'll be out for a week. It's a win-win situation for him...
CalVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Twins 2011

Post by CalVike »

Manny was terrible in Year 2 with the Dodgers and beyond. He has nothing left. Skip him.
purple guy
Hall of Famer

Post by purple guy »

PurpleMustReign wrote: all e has to do is say "I have an owie" and he'll be out for a week. It's a win-win situation for him...
We already have a couple supposed "super stars" who wont play if the get a boo boo, dont need anymore pansies.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Twins acquire RHP Daniel Turpen from the Colorado Rockies as the player to be named in the Kevin Slowey trade.
Judd Zulgad on Twitter
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

Twins sign OF Josh Willingham

Ostensibly, he's Cuddyer's replacement, but curiously the team said that the offer to Cuddy might still stand...? I'd hate to see him in a non-Twins uniform, but hey...he's had a 3 year 25 mil offer on the table from the team for a while and hasn't done anything (I guess his wife just had twins so obviously he's been busy, but still...). I think the team is secretly hoping that he signs elsewhere because then we get two compensatory 1st round picks, which would be pretty great actually.

I love Cuddy but I love the Twins more so I hope they just withdraw their offer to him, get the two 1st rounders when he signs with the Rockies or whoever, and use that money to go get some pitching help instead.

Kind of lost in all this is that it doesn't look like Kubel will be back either.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

HornedMessiah wrote:Twins sign OF Josh Willingham

Ostensibly, he's Cuddyer's replacement, but curiously the team said that the offer to Cuddy might still stand...? I'd hate to see him in a non-Twins uniform, but hey...he's had a 3 year 25 mil offer on the table from the team for a while and hasn't done anything (I guess his wife just had twins so obviously he's been busy, but still...). I think the team is secretly hoping that he signs elsewhere because then we get two compensatory 1st round picks, which would be pretty great actually.

I love Cuddy but I love the Twins more so I hope they just withdraw their offer to him, get the two 1st rounders when he signs with the Rockies or whoever, and use that money to go get some pitching help instead.

Kind of lost in all this is that it doesn't look like Kubel will be back either.
I was hoping Kubel would be back before Cuddyer. Kubel's offense is much better, and he is a decent outfielder (I think he is underrated defensively).
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

Cuddyer signed with the Rockies for $30+ million and 3 years. I'm glad the Twins didn't try to match that. As far as the compensatory draft picks we receive, I'm now reading that they WON'T be 1st rounders. Whatever, I'm still glad this is the route the team took because they need to restock the farm system and they'll still be early picks.

According to this: http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins ... 39143.html the team is actually trying to keep Kubel now that the Cuddyer/Willingham matter has been taken care of. I'd be all for that, considering that we might need some decent left-handed hitters if Mauer & Morneau can't get healthy. However, if signing Kubel means less money to spend on pitching then screw it. We need better arms.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

HornedMessiah wrote:Cuddyer signed with the Rockies for $30+ million and 3 years. I'm glad the Twins didn't try to match that. As far as the compensatory draft picks we receive, I'm now reading that they WON'T be 1st rounders. Whatever, I'm still glad this is the route the team took because they need to restock the farm system and they'll still be early picks.

According to this: http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins ... 39143.html the team is actually trying to keep Kubel now that the Cuddyer/Willingham matter has been taken care of. I'd be all for that, considering that we might need some decent left-handed hitters if Mauer & Morneau can't get healthy. However, if signing Kubel means less money to spend on pitching then screw it. We need better arms.
They won't go after pitching anyway, they will try to develop them, or trade for them. I would love to see Kubel back even as the 4th OF.
They should try to trade Blackburn before other teams realize he sucks like what happened with Slowey.
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

Kubel signed with the Diamondbacks.

From various things I've heard/read, it seems like some people see Cuddyer and Kubel leaving as a desire to get away from the Twins. I'm not so sure about that; they've both been with the Twins for a long time with the same coaches, so it seems strange that they suddenly would dislike the organization. Leave to join a contender? Sure, I believe that more than "getting away from the Twins". The end result is the same, but the motivation is different.

I think a lot of players just don't like the new ballpark. Not what you'd call "hitter-friendly", especially to people who tend to hit to the right side of the field. For a while now the Twins have been about left-handed hitters, but its funny to think that Target Field might actually change the makeup of the team towards more righties, hence the aggressive signing of Willingham (a right hander who pulls)

Edit: Apparently we also get a compensatory pick (1st round?) due to Kubel signing with the D'Backs. Woohoo. Sad to see these guys leave, but overall it's a good non-move by the team.